Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
There aren't a large gathering of young professionals in Rogers Park, Uptown, Edgewater, or Pilsen (don't start with the tiny Arts District).

And the ones that do normally aren't hanging out with the downtown and Lincoln Park crowd. And please don't tell me where are the statistics to back that up and that isn't true, because it definitely has some truth and can't be quantified in numbers.
I live in the middle of those areas, and I'm a transplant. Those neighborhoods are FULL of people who moved here from elsewhere in the Midwest. People go out to the entertainment in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but thousands of them live and hang out in Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park. You just don't notice them as much because the ones who live directly in Lakeview and Lincoln Park tend to be a little louder and are the youngest newest transplants. Then they dispurse to places like Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, Uptown, Edgewater, Bucktown, etc. It's a pretty fluid city, not really as cut and dry as the stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
As I keep saying, Denver111 is only here to try and make Chicago look bad.
I think that's very obvious to everyone. Just ignore him. Nowincal is holding a solid conversation and bringing up good points. Denver is just whining and throwing out any silly thing he can think of that would make people react and counter him.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I live in the middle of those areas, and I'm a transplant. Those neighborhoods are FULL of people who moved here from elsewhere in the Midwest. People go out to the entertainment in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but thousands of them live and hang out in Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park. You just don't notice them as much because the ones who live directly in Lakeview and Lincoln Park tend to be a little louder and are the youngest newest transplants. Then they dispurse to places like Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, Uptown, Edgewater, Bucktown, etc.
There are definitely people who live in those neighborhoods not from Chicago (also many are immigrants). But I do recall you saying you have been in Chicago for over 10 years right? After 5-6 years, I wouldn't really consider someone a transplant.

It's definitely more cumbersome to find a 24 or 25 year old from Indianapolis or Cleveland living in Uptown than it is to find one living in Lincoln Park.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
1. So some people in LA live at home at 30 to lease a BMW. Just think how many suburbanites HAVE to live in River North or Lincoln Park and cram 3 to an apartment to do so.

2. The 909 is not LA. It's the Inland Empire 2 hours from LA. Ask Chicagoans what they think of Indiana and Iowa. Same thing.

3. The Rodney King riots were 20 years ago and the city has come a long way since then. None of my friends were more than 11 years old when that happened.

4. Let's not even get into the racial problems on the SW side of the city, specifically Merionette Park. It's been well documented by the Chicago Tribune that Chicago is the most segregated city in America. When you have such segregation, there are bound to be fewer confrontations between individuals of different races that they can call "a race riot."

5. San Bernardino is over 2 hours from LA and Fontana over 90 minutes. Not LA. Is Milwaukee part of Chicago? No.

6. I've yet to hear of a race riot in LA so not sure where those pictures are from.

7. If you knew what you were talking about regarding gangs, you would know that Chicago has a higher gang population than LA. Watch the Squeeze on MSNBC. The Cook County Sheriff's Dept. mentions that often. Oh one more thing. Let's not forget the violent flash mobs along Michigan Avenue.
1. Living in River North with roommates is not like living at home with your parents. It's the same as people renting 3 to a tenement in Santa Monica or Silver Lake.

2. The 909 is part of greater LA. It is right next door to LA county with 40% of the work force commuting into LA. Cities in the 909 like Upland sit less than 40 miles from LA. Not the same as Iowa, not even close. Nice try.

3. Rodney King riots was not 20 years ago though I bet you and your friends were all not born then. LA has not come any further in it's racial tension, it is still pretty much the same.

4. Is Chicago segregated, sure, but LA is very segregated too. Stop trying to pretend LA is Oakland or Sacramento. LA is the only part of California where you can get KILLED just because you are the wrong skin color.
http://www.alternet.org/story/46855/
You can try to pass off the Hollywood facad that LA is where everyone get's along, but it's not. Not even close. You don't sound like you have been in LA for very long.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
1. Living in River North with roommates is not like living at home with your parents. It's the same as people renting 3 to a tenement in Santa Monica or Silver Lake.

2. The 909 is part of greater LA. It is right next door to LA county with 40% of the work force commuting into LA. Cities in the 909 like Upland sit less than 40 miles from LA. Not that same as Iowa, not even close. Nice try.

3. Rodney King riots was not 20 years ago though I bet you and your friends were all not born then. LA has not come any further in its racial tension, it is still pretty much the same.

4. Is Chicago segregated, sure, but LA is very segregated too. Stop trying to pretend LA is Oakland or Sacramento.

You can try to pass off the Hollywood facad that LA is where everyone get's along, but it's not. Not even close. You don't sound like you have been in LA for very long.
1. The point I was making is that the materialism aspect of having a BMW or living in a certain neighborhood is the same end result, although the means are different. The point is the stature to the outside world.

2. The 909 extends all the way into Riverside County as well. That is not greater LA. There's sporadic racial incidents all throughout Chicagoland as well. Don't think there aren't.

3. The Rodney King riots were 1992. Ok so 19 years ago. I'm in my 20s on the latter side.

4. LA is segregated obviously, but there is plenty of interaction. I have friends of various ethnicities. I also see a lot of interaction where I live between young professionals of all ethnicities, then recent Persian, Armenian, and Hispanic immigrants. The same holds true in Santa Monica and West Hollywood. In contrast, it is very rare for a white transplant of any ethnicity to interact with Hispanics, Blacks, or any type of immigrant in the young professional neighborhoods in Chicago.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,323 times
Quote:
1. The point I was making is that the materialism aspect of having a BMW or living in a certain neighborhood is the same end result, although the means are different. The point is the stature to the outside world.

2. The 909 extends all the way into Riverside County as well. That is not greater LA. There's sporadic racial incidents all throughout Chicagoland as well. Don't think there aren't.

3. The Rodney King riots were 1992. Ok so 19 years ago. I'm in my 20s on the latter side.

4. LA is segregated obviously, but there is plenty of interaction. I have friends of various ethnicities. I also see a lot of interaction where I live between young professionals of all ethnicities, then recent Persian, Armenian, and Hispanic immigrants. The same holds true in Santa Monica and West Hollywood. In contrast, it is very rare for a white transplant of any ethnicity to interact with Hispanics, Blacks, or any type of immigrant in the young professional neighborhoods in Chicago.
As a "former" Chicagoan, you're clinging to some pretty generic stereotypes about the city itself. Is Chicago segregated? Of course, what city in the U.S isn't, but the it's not like you won't find a single Black, Hispanic, or Asian person north of the loop.

Also, can you provide any examples of these "racial incidents" that plague Chicagoland? Emotions seem to be dictating your argument rather than facts

Isn't Riverside County apart of Greater L.A? I could have sworn the Inland Empire was apart of L.A's CSA...Tons of people who work in L.A/L.A County moved to the County because it had considerably cheaper housing. Regardless, I don't even know what you're really arguing? That Chicago is inferior to L.A? Hate to break it to you bro, but that's really not the case.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
As a "former" Chicagoan, you're clinging to some pretty generic stereotypes about the city itself. Is Chicago segregated? Of course, what city in the U.S isn't, but the it's not like you won't find a single Black, Hispanic, or Asian person north of the loop.

Also, can you provide any examples of these "racial incidents" that plague Chicagoland? Emotions seem to be dictating your argument rather than facts

Isn't Riverside County apart of Greater L.A? I could have sworn the Inland Empire was apart of L.A's CSA...Tons of people who work in L.A/L.A County moved to the County because it had considerably cheaper housing. Regardless, I don't even know what you're really arguing? That Chicago is inferior to L.A? Hate to break it to you bro, but that's really not the case.
Of course will find diversity north of the Loop. However, the chances are slim for those groups to intermix. The Chicago Tribune about 2 years ago ran a story on young professionals of different races moving to the city moved to certain neighborhoods depending on race. This made it so that it was highly unlikely people of different races, despite having the same education and employment and age, did not mix.

I grew up in Chicago. It's not exactly the most race friendly place, although with my age range it's a lot more progressive. You know and I know it. In terms of major incidents, there really aren't any. Possibly due to the fact that it is so segregated. Although Merionette Park has had a few problems the past year or so.

Yes, technically Riverside is part of the LA CSA. It's 2 hours away. It's like calling Kenosha, also technically part of the CSA, Chicago.

For me, LA is better. For people like me, LA is better for young professionals. For others, Chicago is better.

To answer your question. The OP said he wanted people to compare Chicago to LA. I did that based on personal experience, as every other poster has done.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times
If no one has been to the Wicker Park/Bucktown border (six corners Milwaukee, Damen, North Ave) late at night I dare you to venture there. It is very diverse, vibrant and cosmopolitan. First the streets are hustling and bustling up until like 2am and it's full of blacks, hispanics and white people all walking around. You have hip hop clubs, dance clubs, tequila lounges, typical frat places, hipster bars, more mature bars, etc. Go to Logan Square and you will find the same thing. Got to Ukranian Village and you will find the same thing. South Loop same type of demographics (less Hispanics though).

Yes places like Lakeview and Lincoln Park are homogenous but are you going to tell me that L.A., New York, or any other city doesn't have homogenous neighborhoods? Especially when they are wealthier hoods? Especially when they are immigrant neighborhoods? How many white people live in the Bronx?

I can agree that L.A. and New York are more diverse and everyone is more integrated however, Chicago is not that segregated either. Ever been to Albany Park? Avondale? Irving Park?

Targeting the frat hoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview is unfair, because those neighborhoods make only a very small portion of the city of Chicago. It is over generalizing. I mean combined Lakeview and Lincoln Park have a population of like what? 200k? Out of a city of 2.6 million some of you people are stereotyping the entire city and its residents on those 200k that live in Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

I guess I should stereotype L.A. for all the wannabe actors/actresses/musicians or Miami for all the wannabe models. See how easy that works?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
If no one has been to the Wicker Park/Bucktown border (six corners Milwaukee, Damen, North Ave) late at night I dare you to venture there. It is very diverse, vibrant and cosmopolitan. First the streets are hustling and bustling up until like 2am and it's full of blacks, hispanics and white people all walking around. You have hip hop clubs, dance clubs, tequila lounges, typical frat places, hipster bars, more mature bars, etc. Go to Logan Square and you will find the same thing. Got to Ukranian Village and you will find the same thing. South Loop same type of demographics (less Hispanics though).

Yes places like Lakeview and Lincoln Park are homogenous but are you going to tell me that L.A., New York, or any other city doesn't have homogenous neighborhoods? Especially when they are wealthier hoods? Especially when they are immigrant neighborhoods? How many white people live in the Bronx?

I can agree that L.A. and New York are more diverse and everyone is more integrated however, Chicago is not that segregated either. Ever been to Albany Park? Avondale? Irving Park?

Targeting the frat hoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview is unfair, because those neighborhoods make only a very small portion of the city of Chicago. It is over generalizing. I mean combined Lakeview and Lincoln Park have a population of like what? 200k? Out of a city of 2.6 million some of you people are stereotyping the entire city and its residents on those 200k that live in Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

I guess I should stereotype L.A. for all the wannabe actors/actresses/musicians or Miami for all the wannabe models. See how easy that works?

Good post.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM

68 posts, read 123,190 times
The Chicago folks bringing up black-Mexican relations in LA are being completely ridiculous, and are clueless about LA.

In Chicago, Mexicans will NEVER set foot in a black neighborhood. They are all wedged between the railroad tracks separating the West Side and South Side black ghettos. The racial tensions are ridiculous.

In Chicago, you literally cross railroad tracks, and the neighborhood will go from 100% black to 100% Mexican.

Go to Little Village (the Chicago Mexican neighborhood- SW Chicago) and then head north or south- you will see the craziest ethnic boundaries ever.

Chicago has some incredible assets, but the racial tensions are legendary, and most of the city is ghettoized. Basically 95% of the city is either totally black, totally Mexican, or totally whitebread yuppie.

Really the only diverse neighborhoods are a few on the North Side. Edgewater and Albany Park are diverse, but that's about it.

One could argue that Rogers Park or Uptown are sorta diverse, but it isn't true. In both neighborhoods, one side is ghetto and the other side is so-so, and has some diversity.

In contrast, with few exceptions, LA is very, very mixed. Pick a random LA neighborhood, and you will see a very wide mix of people and ethnicities. Yes, there are racial tensions, and yes, nothing is perfect, but it's a totally different feel than Chicago and the Midwest.

Just look at interracial dating. LA has TONS of interracial couples. In Chicago, extremely rare, especially among blacks, whites, and Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City