Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,391 times

Advertisements

City vs City loves telephoto lenses.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There are plenty of small Manhattan neighborhoods smaller than the Tenderloin in fact, that are more dense than Harlem as well.
https://www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neig...-New-York.html

You guys are holding SF to a stricter standard.

How is this relevant to the conversation?

rah made a correct statement. The Tenderloin is more densely populated than Harlem. Is it bigger? No, but overall, it is more densely populated.

Just like a long list of smaller neighborhoods in Manhattan are more dense than Harlem.

No the big difference is that this density in Manhattan is maintained over miles, not blocks. the point. Tracts are interesting and more intresting when strung together.

Also the breaks on the neighborhoods were good you posted, seriously. Though will say Philly will grab a few more in the above 30 and 20K with the new data but still be a little behind in the footprints you posted. To me that is actually far more interesting than any .35 sq mile tracts unless there are many of those strung together.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Just like a long list of smaller neighborhoods in Manhattan are more dense than Harlem.
Like Hamilton Grange, for example, which happens to be a part of Harlem?

Harlem is not a neighborhood. It's a residential district. Lenox Hill, which is a neighborhood within Harlem, has a population density of 93,142 and it is twice the size of the Tenderloin.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM

381 posts, read 862,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No the big difference is that this density in Manhattan is maintained over miles, not blocks. the point. Tracts are interesting and more intresting when strung together.

Also the breaks on the neighborhoods were good you posted, seriously. Though will say Philly will grab a few more in the above 30 and 20K with the new data but still be a little behind in the footprints you posted. To me that is actually far more interesting than any .35 sq mile tracts unless there are many of those strung together.
How big are the Tenderloin, Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, and North Beach combined? Those areas all connect and must have a very high population density.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
How big are the Tenderloin, Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, and North Beach combined? Those areas all connect and must have a very high population density.

Think Montclair has the numbers - looks to be somewhere above 40K a comparable area in Philly with the 2010 data (Rittenhouse/Wash West/Gayborhood/Financial District etc) would be about 5K ppsm less in desnity

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Yes, San Francisco has high density over many square miles.

Top 5 SF Neighborhoods
Combined Area: 1.421 sq. miles
Combined Population: 78,110
Population Per Square Mile: 54,968

Top 10 Neighborhoods, San Francisco
Combined Area: 4.722 sq. miles.
Combined Population: 206,040
Persons Per sqauare Mile: 43,634

All San Francisco neighborhoods with a density of 17,129+
Combined Area: 29.253 sq. miles.
Combined Population: 655,534
Population Per Square Mile: 22,750

Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, San Francisco has high density over many square miles.

Top 5 SF Neighborhoods
Combined Area: 1.421 sq. miles
Combined Population: 78,110
Population Per Square Mile: 54,968

Top 10 Neighborhoods, San Francisco
Combined Area: 4.722 sq. miles.
Combined Population: 206,040
Persons Per sqauare Mile: 43,634

All San Francisco neighborhoods with a density of 17,129+
Combined Area: 29.253 sq. miles.
Combined Population: 655,534
Population Per Square Mile: 22,750

All together now

Bay Area, Bay Area, Bay Area...

BTW was watching the US version of the tourist and the opening scenes in the movie of Paris oddly made me laugh in their beauty on the earlier references to equating SF to Paris

I think we all agree the core areas are little more dense

Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,852 times
I think the argument is won on SF's behalf, but I don't think it's a blowout. Geography has quite a bit to do with it, Philly has more space. A more appropriate conclusion is that SF has greater residential population density in many parts of its urban core than Philly does. This decreased density in no way affects how urban Philly looks or feels, since it is way above the threshold needed to maintain a vital downtown. What is being ignored throughout this thread is that Philly has twice the actual city population, and it also has 90,000 more commuters coming in by rail every day than SF does. The effect of this is that Center City, as a downtown is larger and more 'urban' than San Francisco's downtown. That's what I originally though this thread was going to be about, not whether people can be packed into apartment buildings like sardines.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
BTW was watching the US version of the tourist and the opening scenes in the movie of Paris oddly made me laugh in their beauty on the earlier references to equating SF to Paris.
Parisians love SF.

"Your city is remarkable not only for its beauty. It is also, of all the cities in the United States, the one whose name, the world over, conjures up the most visions and more than any other, incites one to dream. "
-Georges Pompidou(President of France)

"I'm pulling Paris into the 21st century, and this visit to San Francisco has helped speed things up. I will bring back to Paris contacts, desires, wishes and know-how."-Bertrand Delanoe( Mayor of Paris)

Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM

And actually one of the great things about these cities and believe was stated by montclair earlier is that both are among the best at having seemless transistion of commercial/residential/nightlife/restaurants/retail from the core. To me the 4 best examples are NYC/Boston/Philly/SF. DC is also getting better on this by the month it seems and Chicago seems a little the laggard and was always the one area I wish Chicago did a slightly better job with.

Seattle and San Diego to me should also get honorable mention - LA in pockets but still feels a little more sporadic. I think Rah referenced earlier but i an interested/excited to see LAs core in another 20 years - think could really make a splash.

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-03-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City