Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 PM

717 posts, read 899,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I can't think of any southern city with a Michelin Guide. Also, I can't think of any city in the south considered to have world a world class dining scene. New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco have world class dining.
It's subjective, but Houston and New Orleans are usually hailed for their dining scenes.

Quote:
I doubt people in Europe, Asia and South America are dreaming of living in the south outside of Miami.
How would you know this? I think it's safe to say that many foreigners from "worse off" countries dream of living in America period. Many of them are just happy to be in our country, they could care less if they ended up in San Fran or Charlotte.

I just knew this topic would turn into a south bashing thread. People here are so predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
The Aleutian Islands. They get a lot of earthquakes and are just plain ugly. We should have let the Japanese keep them in WW2.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
It's subjective, but Houston and New Orleans are usually hailed for their dining scenes.
I know about New Orleans, but not Houston...etiher way I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
How would you know this? I think it's safe to say that many foreigners from "worse off" countries dream of living in America period. Many of them are just happy to be in our country, they could care less if they ended up in San Fran or Charlotte.
I don't think that was his point. Just that the areas down South aren't exactly world-renowned, with the exception of a few.

Quote:
I just knew this topic would turn into a south bashing thread. People here are so predictable.
How is this a South-bashing thread now? People just disagree that the South is "the only true unique culture in the US"...which is a borderline retarded claim. How can you defend that?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
I wouldn't remove any. Also, Miami feels way more Latin American to me than it does Caribbean.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The South has the most unique -- and some would say the ONLY truly unique -- culture in the country. It has the most original and unique food, traditions and history, and some of the most beautiful cities (Charleston, Savannah, New Orlean).
Not that beautiful. Charleston, Savannah, and NOLA outside of the city propers are pretty generic and bland, bordering on ghetto in some parts.
Also, the upper midwest, PNW, New England etc. don't have unique cultures? Ha, okay.

Quote:
It is the most religious and patriotic region of the country.
Being religious is a bad thing in the 21st century when religion has become nothing more than a tool for population control and the "answers" the Bible provides have been answered concretely by science in almost every regard.

Quote:
It is the birthplace of the Civil Rights movement and monumental leaders like Abraham Lincoln, Henry Grady and MLK.
Without the south, would we have needed the Civil Rights movement in 1960?
I'm sure social change would've happened but a lot sooner without it.

Quote:
Without the South, there would be no rock, jazz or blues. There would be no Elvis, James Brown, Little Richard, REM or the B-52s -- or Oprah! Eliminate the South, and you'd throw away this country's biggest literary giants -- Tennessee Williams, Eudora Welty, Ernest Hemingway, Truman Capote.
Hemingway was from Chicago. Only other one of those I've ever even heard of is Capote. In terms of music, yeah, the south generated some good genres.

Quote:
Do you like sports? Without the South there would be no college football, professional golf or NASCAR. Yes, the South is a horrible place. So why do MILLIONS of people vacation here every year and MILLIONS more around the world wish they could LIVE here?
College football? Good riddance.
Professional golf? People watch golf?
NASCAR? A big smear beside that stain. A joke.

Millions vacation in the south because they like the coast, not because Montgomery, Alabama is a great city for retail or culture. I don't know anyone except for old people and those scared of the cold that would WANT to live in the south. Most people in my generation that I've observed are heading west or to the Bos-Wash corridor if not Chicago.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Well, conservatives are starting to head south, I'm always reading about how they feel more comfortable with their own kind. And I certainly prefer them to have some sort of Limbaugh mecca to flee toward, rather than causing political gridlock in progressive states.

I think Southern culture is a fine thing, especially in terms of foods such as Cajun cuisine, barbecued ribs and Southern fried chicken (not to mention deep fried Twinkies); music such as jazz and bluegrass; and liquors such as bourbons, which are truly an American whiskey.

The politics seems to be a result of a lack of critical thinking classes in their high schools, but really that's a problem everywhere, plus a love of rightwing radio. I think radio is an even more important propaganda tool of our corporatocracy than other media, because the conscious analytical mind is usually distracted by some task such as driving or work, while the message slips by into the subconscious mind which is more ruled by emotion.

I think Dixie is a vital part of a great country, but I do wish some of them would voluntarily stop voting in national elections until after they do some basic reading on politics and history from a variety of viewpoints.

Last edited by Woof; 07-24-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
The south.

Then this country could catch up to the rest of the developed world without so many education cutting conservatives and pro-sprawl planning practices draining federal and state funds.
yes, I agree. The backward medieval idealogy of the right wing religious nuts are really holding this country back. I'd rather be without them.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
The south.

Then this country could catch up to the rest of the developed world without so many education cutting conservatives and pro-sprawl planning practices draining federal and state funds.
Agreed. We don't need the South. Starting from Maryland, cut cut them all, but leave parts of Florida for vacation.

Last edited by Kaul; 07-24-2011 at 02:20 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Do what you want with the south, just let me get out first!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The South has the most unique (of the large regions TRUE) and some would say the ONLY truly unique (FALSE) culture in the country. It has the most original and unique food, traditions and history(partially TRUE) and some of the most beautiful cities (Charleston, Savannah, New Orlean) (partially TRUE). It is the most religious and patriotic region of the country (TRUE). It is the birthplace of the Civil Rights movement (FALSE) and monumental leaders like Abraham Lincoln, Henry Grady and MLK (and far more than those!). Without the South, there would be no rock, jazz or blues (UNCERTAIN). There would be no Elvis, James Brown, Little Richard, REM or the B-52s -- or Oprah! Eliminate the South, and you'd throw away this country's biggest literary giants (FALSE) Tennessee Williams, Eudora Welty, Ernest Hemingway, Truman Capote. Do you like sports (YES)? Without the South there would be no college football (FALSE), professional golf (FALSE!) or NASCAR (FALSE). Yes, the South is a horrible place (FALSE). So why do MILLIONS of people vacation here every year (it is warm in the winter for starters) and MILLIONS more around the world wish they could LIVE here (because it is better than where they are)?
My answers in parerenthesis. In most categories the South can more than holds it own compared to other regions. Of course, the South is huge so that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City