Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Too bad that you couldn't make it to Oswego this weekend: Oswego Harborfest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
How do you feel about Canada? It's about the same cost/distance for you to get to the usual notables like Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City or opt for lesser travelled places like Winnipeg, Saint John, Ottawa, etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How do you feel about Canada? It's about the same cost/distance for you to get to the usual notables like Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City or opt for lesser travelled places like Winnipeg, Saint John, Ottawa, etc.
If the OP went that route, Hamilton would be a great choice. It is the Pittsburgh of Canada and it is in between Toronto and Niagara Falls.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. They all sound great!

The only thing making me reluctant about a trip to Savannah, Charleston, Memphis, or New Orleans is the thought of excessive August heat (I will want to walk around and explore a lot). Butte would probably be cooler, but my flight would require two stops (has anyone taken a two-stop flight before? Is it crazy?). Detroit and Cleveland I have been to before (I'm from Michigan). Boston, Albany, Portland (Maine), or Burlington all sound great. Cincy, too. So many choices!

Anyone know of any cool haunted hotels?
I'm with you: Who wants to endure excessive heat and humidity while you're on vacation? I lived in Houston for many years so trust your gut - August is murder. I would recommend visiting the southern cities during the spring when the azaleas and other plants are blooming or Savannah & Charleston in particular in December, when those two charmers are decked out for Christmas. I've done two stops (usualy when flights are cancelled/re-routed, however), but for remote palces like Butte, it's likely your only option.

Can't help you on haunted hotels.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I want to go on a vacation somewhere in the US that is very historic, well-preserved, and full of old urban architecture to explore. I also like forgotten places and little-known gem cities (somewhere I can fly, drive, or bus to from Pittsburgh).

Here are some cities that I am considering (but still have not made up my mind):

New Orleans, LA (I want to see the "old south," think Gone With the Wind, but Atlanta is not historic these days)

Savannah, GA

Butte, MT (I want to see the "old west" in one of its larger old cities)

Harrisburg / York / Lancaster / Gettysburg, PA (would plan to stay in York and take day trips to the others)

Buffalo, NY

Cities I have been to and loved:

Philadelphia
Baltimore
Wheeling, WV
Youngstown, OH
Jackson, MI
St. Louis, MO
Tulsa, OK

I'm not really into places that are modern or sanitized. I like old stuff and grit. So please suggest some places for me to visit. Thanks!
lmao - i read your posts and some of the responses and thought "WTH isn't anyone saying PITTSBURGH?" - then I saw where you were from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City