Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City gets YOUR vote???
Orlando, FL 6 10.34%
Houston, TX 15 25.86%
Nashville, TN 19 32.76%
Pittsburgh, PA 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 PM

86 posts, read 423,112 times

Advertisements

Ok, Here is my dilemma...

I currently live in Orlando, so I pretty much know about it, and I used to live, most of my life actually, in Pittsburgh. I have possible opportunities in Nashville and Houston. My son hates Orlando because he hasnt been able to locate work, and honestly, $245 a week isnt enough for me either, so unless something develops, I'm splitting here. He is headed to Pittsburgh and wants me to go, although he is open to Houston, and especially Nashville.

My question is simple...If you had your choice, which of the 4 would you choose and why?

Thanks

Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
Ok, Here is my dilemma...

I currently live in Orlando, so I pretty much know about it, and I used to live, most of my life actually, in Pittsburgh. I have possible opportunities in Nashville and Houston. My son hates Orlando because he hasnt been able to locate work, and honestly, $245 a week isnt enough for me either, so unless something develops, I'm splitting here. He is headed to Pittsburgh and wants me to go, although he is open to Houston, and especially Nashville.

My question is simple...If you had your choice, which of the 4 would you choose and why?

Thanks

Shawn
I've been to all except Pittsburgh. Why don't you tell us what type of job, living conditions, attractions, weather and more do you want out of a city. Houston is often seen as being similar to Orlando.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM

As for a job, it would be a driving position, as I have driven buses for 24 years... I don't really mind winters, and humidity makes life a bit hard, but I'm not a huge snow fan, but a little is nice, especially around the holidays.

I like boating, and would like to get another. otherwise, attractions dont mean a whole lot, as, to be honest, i'm Disneyed out...lol

Shawn

Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
As for a job, it would be a driving position, as I have driven buses for 24 years... I don't really mind winters, and humidity makes life a bit hard, but I'm not a huge snow fan, but a little is nice, especially around the holidays.

I like boating, and would like to get another. otherwise, attractions dont mean a whole lot, as, to be honest, i'm Disneyed out...lol

Shawn
A little snow, but not too much
1. Nashville
2. Pittsburgh
3. Houston
4. Orlando
Nashville typically gets a couple of snowstorms during the winter, and is one of the snowiest cities in the South, but still doesn't get as much snow as cities in the Northeast and Midwest, averaging about two feet of snow per winter. Pittsburgh averages just over three feet of snow per winter, but is susceptible to crippling blizzards once every dozen years or so, and is close enough to the Atlantic coast to be affected by large Nor'easters. Houston rarely gets snow, although Texas is more prone to cold snaps than Florida is. Orlando has only gotten a couple of measurable snowfalls ever.

Sailboating
1. Houston
2. Orlando
3. Nashville
4. Pittsburgh
Houston is closer to the Gulf of Mexico than Orlando is to either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean, and Galveston Bay is large enough to do some good sailing without having to go very far. I'm sure you could sail on some of the larger lakes near Orlando, but after a while it could get boring in a confined space. Neither Nashville or Pittsburgh are good for sailing, but I ranked Nashville higher since it's a bit flatter than Pittsburgh.

Powerboating
1. Pittsburgh
2. Orlando
3. Houston
4. Nashville
Pittsburgh's powerboating scene is very underrated. There are several launch points along its three rivers, and Allegheny County, PA has a very high rate of registered watercraft ownership per capita. Orlando has bodies of water nearby in all directions, but it's not as heavy on powerboating as Pittsburgh is, probably because sailing is an option as well, and the same goes for Houston in this regard. Galveston Bay seems to be underutilized for recreation purposes, especially given Houston's size. Nashville doesn't seem to have much of a boating culture of any kind, but that's not to say that it's nonexistent. I'm sure there are a couple of launch points on the Cumberland River, and a couple of lakes nearby as well, but it just doesn't seem to be as tied to its bodies of water as Pittsburgh does.

Authenticity
1. Pittsburgh
2. Houston
3. Nashville
4. Orlando
Being overlooked goes a long way in helping a city maintain its authenticity. Pittsburgh has a sense of place that the other three cities can't quite match, and there's no city quite like it in the United States. Houston is like Dallas with a bit more cosmopolitan flair, which makes it somewhat unique, and its size makes it stand out too, but all the big Texas cities are still pretty similar at their cores. Speaking of Texas cities, Austin is passing the torch to Nashville as we speak. Nashville is becoming the next "bohemian" place where all the weirdos and hippies will gravitate to, which, ironically, is why I'm downrating it: many bohemian people try hard to be different by acting like all the other bohemian people, which is not very authentic when you think about it, and actually quite pretentious. As for Orlando, there's not much to say about it other than it'd be a lot smaller without Walt Disney World, and it feels like a giant suburb in the middle of the central Florida swamp.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I don't know where to begin with the above post. Nashville gets two feet of snow per winter? huh? Nashville averages 9.1" of snow in an entire year, and only twice since 2002 has Nashville had a year with more than 9.1" of snow.

As far as Nashville not having "much of a boating culture of any kind," that is also ridiculously misleading. There are two very large lakes in Nashville, and there are several other large lakes within an hour or so of the city. Boating is a huge part of the Nashville suburban lifestyle. One lake has high rise condo towers adjacent to marinas, other lakes have gated lakefront communities, and they all have public marinas with thousands of boats. There is no way that someone can spend time in Nashville and not be aware of the area's significant boating culture. And, unlike Pittsburgh, Nashville's boating season is more than just a few months long.

I also question your definition of "authenticity." To me, Nashville is one of the most "authentic" cities in the country. There's very little flashiness to Nashville. Even its uber wealthy country music superstars are very down to earth, doing their shopping and running their errands at the same places as everyone else. Even Nicole Kidman said she loves living in Nashville because people are genuine and pretty much leave her alone when she's out in public being a regular mom. You can't get much more "authentic" than that.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 PM

So far, looks like Nashville is it...I know I have discovered a lot of great things so far...

I lived in Pittsburgh for 43 years, but, even though the boating is good, the job market doesn't seem to be good at the moment. plus the outrageous property taxes, as well as other taxes, makes it tough to really make it home again.

Orlando, just finding a good job here is tough. I have a job driving a bus for 10 a hour, which seems to be the going rate here...drivers don't get anything here...

Houston, is really nice, but it has the same rough humidity that we have here in Orlando...

Honestly, it seems as though I can't go wrong with Nashville, Plus, I have a job offer...

Shawn

Old 08-04-2011, 06:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Pittsburgh hands down. It's a nice city and the others are way too hot.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
IN terms of jobs, I say Houston by a long shot.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I'm confused. I swore I read a post from you a few years ago that said you hate Pittsburgh and all this BS about it and that you wanted to move to Florida because it was the "land of opportunity". I know enough people from Florida to know I would never live there because a lot of people make garbage wages and the schools in the state are ranked some of the lowest in the country compared to other states. While the job market may not be great in Pittsburgh, I would consider it ok depending on what kind of job you're looking for and the local unemployment rate is much lower in Pittsburgh than in Nashville and Orlando. I was just in Nashville and it's a nice city but your son wouldn't like it if he's under 21 as a lot of the fun places start carding at 6 PM even though you said he's moving back to Pittsburgh anyway. I also felt like there was a shady vibe in a lot of places in Nashville besides the wealthy areas and as you know there isn't that kind of vibe in a lot of Pittsburgh. Just make the right choice for you and where you can do the best but I'd go with Pittsburgh or Nashville. Also, besides property taxes, I wouldn't consider Pittsburgh taxes outrageous by any means compared to a lot of other areas surrounding Pittsburgh. You could always rent a house or an apartment since it seems like you will be living alone or with one other person and I wouldn't consider it worth it to own a home if I lived alone. While there is no income tax in Tennessee, you will pay an arm and a leg in sales tax with 7.75% for food and 9.25% for everything else. At that rate, the tax burden in TN is about the same as in PA once you consider the 3.07% flat income tax and 6% sales tax.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 08-04-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
While there is no income tax in Tennessee, you will pay an arm and a leg in sales tax with 7.75% for food and 9.25% for everything else. At that rate, the tax burden in TN is about the same as in PA once you consider the 3.07% flat income tax and 6% sales tax.
No, not really. Yes, we have a high sales tax...but aside from no personal income tax (income from stocks/etc are taxed @ 6%, I believe), property taxes are lower here.

The fact is, Tennessee has one of the lowest tax burdens in the entire country. Last I checked, we were 47th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City