Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times

Advertisements

Kansas City and OKC would probably feel similar to someone from a much larger city such as Chicago or NYC. Obviously, you're from KC, so you'd know the differences and nuances better than someone who's not familiar with either city. KC "grew up" in an earlier era than OKC did, so that contributes to it's feel. If you ask me, once you get outside that inner core area, it's just as sprawling and bland as OKC.

It's obvious you won't like it in OKC and have your mind made up already, so what's the point. Just wait for the right opportunity in the city you want to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Delight View Post
Kansas City and OKC would probably feel similar to someone from a much larger city such as Chicago or NYC. Obviously, you're from KC, so you'd know the differences and nuances better than someone who's not familiar with either city. KC "grew up" in an earlier era than OKC did, so that contributes to it's feel. If you ask me, once you get outside that inner core area, it's just as sprawling and bland as OKC.

It's obvious you won't like it in OKC and have your mind made up already, so what's the point. Just wait for the right opportunity in the city you want to move to.
agree on all points. I'm trying for St Louis, Minneapolis or Denver now, (KC would be okay, but would rather be closer to KC, but not back in it). Till then, we will continue to enjoy DC and the entire east coast area.

OKC might evolve into a more desirable city, but I think it's many decades out.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Bricktown is okay I guess, but I don't see OKC ever building up into a KC type city as seen below, let alone a city like DC or Boston. People in this thread say KC and OKC are similar. That is so false. They are very different places. KC is more "big city" and really blows away OKC and KC is not that big of a city, but it has so much more to do (pro sports, museums, amusement parks etc). Compared to OKC, KC is heaven on earth if you ask me.
I just don't see what people see in OKC I guess and was trying to figure it out.
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!!!

Kansas City is pretty dogone cool!!! And NOTHING LIKE OK City! OK is NOT Okay to me... I would LIKE to like it more, but I just don't know where to go or what to do, so as for now, and the few times I've been there it feels miserable.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Don't know what to tell ya...
I live in Washington DC, and I've been to Oklahoma City several times. OK City tops my list of most boring places to be (IN MY OPINION). I keep asking for some help from anybody that lives there because maybe I just don't know where to go or what to do, but I never get an answer. When I'm there, it feels miserable. HOT HOT HOT and boring. After the first 2 times having been there, I had to be forced there against my will! I hated that I had to go there for family! Yeeeeesh! But again, maybe it is a great place and I just don't know what to do. I did like the little canal in Bricktown. That's about it. I don't even know where to tell you to go eat. Because the places I visited were no good.
Just curious, where did you eat?

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Just curious, where did you eat?
Kind of hard to recall because the last time WAS a couple years ago, but from what I remember I think we tried that Spaghetti Factory (something like that) there. I KNOW we tried Toby Keith's place and I tried an expensive steak from there was surprised to have an overcooked steak in Oklahoma. Just didn't sound right! I LOVE Steak, so please, let me know where to go for good steak in OKC... I know we tried another steakhouse but I don't remember the name of it. It was near or in Bricktown. I remember going to The Melting Pot. And I remember trying a sushi place that was pretty expensive, but the sushi was bad. I'm not sure if it's just that I had bad chefs (because I do understand how that goes, because I've had terrible meals in cities that I LOVE the food in), or what, but seemed like I wasn't impressed or unsatisfied. I also remember thinking there was an after-taste and wondering if it's the water.

I don't think I'll be there for a while, but I'd LOVE to hear where to go for great food next time I'm there.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
agree on all points. I'm trying for St Louis, Minneapolis or Denver now, (KC would be okay, but would rather be closer to KC, but not back in it). Till then, we will continue to enjoy DC and the entire east coast area.

OKC might evolve into a more desirable city, but I think it's many decades out.
Really to be quite honest with you I don't think that many people think of the Missouri Cities as American Elite Cities - Kansas City and St. Louis are among the most dangerous cities in America , and the pro's don't outweight the con's...so American tend to love Denver and Minneapolis
/St. Paul a lot more than KC and St. Louis

And these two cities Denver and Minneapolis may be a good fit for you to consider.....maybe St. Louis and KC can get a handle on their's crime problem like Wash DC did once upon a time (it was the murder capital of America) but cleaned up it's act.So Maybe thur some Postive thinking KC and St. Louis will rebound and be looked at in a more positive light in the futur(?)........

Old 10-20-2011, 06:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Really to be quite honest with you I don't think that many people think of the Missouri Cities as American Elite Cities - Kansas City and St. Louis are among the most dangerous cities in America , and the pro's don't outweight the con's...so American tend to love Denver and Minneapolis
/St. Paul a lot more than KC and St. Louis

And these two cities Denver and Minneapolis may be a good fit for you to consider.....maybe St. Louis and KC can get a handle on their's crime problem like Wash DC did once upon a time (it was the murder capital of America) but cleaned up it's act.So Maybe thur some Postive thinking KC and St. Louis will rebound and be looked at in a more positive light in the futur(?)........
I'm not bothered one bit by crime in kc and stl. Both cities are perfectly safe and I feel the cities are no more of a risk than any other major city. Stats may rank them high, but the fact is, crime is just not an issue in either city unless you are involved with drugs, gangs etc and hang out in the parts of town doing stupid things like drugs and drive by shootings.

If you are a normal person, kc and stl are no more dangerous than any other city.

Having said that, I realize they’re not elite cities, but Missouri is where most of my family and friends are so that's why it will always be at the top of my list.

I actually like Denver and Minneapolis better than both KC and StL. But KC and StL dangerous? Please.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Kind of hard to recall because the last time WAS a couple years ago, but from what I remember I think we tried that Spaghetti Factory (something like that) there. I KNOW we tried Toby Keith's place and I tried an expensive steak from there was surprised to have an overcooked steak in Oklahoma. Just didn't sound right! I LOVE Steak, so please, let me know where to go for good steak in OKC... I know we tried another steakhouse but I don't remember the name of it. It was near or in Bricktown. I remember going to The Melting Pot. And I remember trying a sushi place that was pretty expensive, but the sushi was bad. I'm not sure if it's just that I had bad chefs (because I do understand how that goes, because I've had terrible meals in cities that I LOVE the food in), or what, but seemed like I wasn't impressed or unsatisfied. I also remember thinking there was an after-taste and wondering if it's the water.

I don't think I'll be there for a while, but I'd LOVE to hear where to go for great food next time I'm there.
That would be Spaghetti Warehouse. It's a chain. They're all over. I've never eaten at the one here. Last one I ate at was in Houston about 15 years ago, blah! The Melting Pot is also a chain. We just don't really do chains if there are other options. I've never been to Toby Keith's. Not my kind of place. As for a steak place, maybe Mickey Mantles? That's the only steak place I can think of in Bricktown. Actually we don't often go to Bricktown, unless it's before a Thunder or a Red Hawks game, or some other event downtown. The place I would recommend in Bricktown Nonna's http://nonnas.com/home.asp They have great food, and a very nice bar upstairs.

Next time you're here I highly recommend these:
Cheever's Cafe - Contemporary Comfort Food | Cheever's Cafe - Contemporary Comfort Food | Oklahoma City
www.redprimesteak.com/
www.bigtrucktacos.com/
www.paseogrill.com
www.boulevardsteakhouse.com/
Welcome To Cafe501
redrockcanyongrill.ehsrg.com/
These are just a few of the excellent restaurants here.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:

TK's Bar&Grill = you go ONLY for the live music and cold beer. The food is very average.
Spaghetti Warehouse = you could have made better Italian in your hotel.
Melting Pot = fairly good with at least lots-o-meat.
Sushi = why eat this in the first place? Eat fried CATFISH! Geez. I mean you were in Oklahoma! We're one of the biggest catfish epicenters in the world.

You missed out on the BBQ which is probably the one thing that Oklahoma can offer in a better form than what you get in most places:

Earl's Rib Palace
Jakes Rib
Van's Pig Stand
Dink's
Blue Pig BBQ
Rib Crib (if you have to eat quick....but not same quality as the others)

For a good steak, give County Line a shot. County Line also has a good chicken-fried steak, another OK specialty. DON'T eat the ribs at County Line (they're beef! Only place in OK I know that serves Yankee ribs!)....DO eat the brisket at County Line. It is very, very....very good. After you finish at the County Line go checkout the Cowboy Hall of Fame next door.....get a good history lesson on all things Southwest.

Best of luck next time you're in OK City.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:16 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
But I'll be honest. OKC is probably one of the last metros of over 1 million I would choose to live in if I had such a choice and living in a metro of under 2 million is not something I look forward too. Even Kansas City truly dwarfs OKC when it comes to having things to do in the metro such as pro sports, arts, culture, amusement parks, museums etc, not to mention urban KC just feels more like a big city. KC and OKC don't really compare. The topography of OKC (flat, lack of trees etc) is depressing and the extreme weather in OKC seems worse than even most other midwestern cities. I don't care about college sports at all and I know OK gets into that. Honestly the best things about OKC to me is that it's 3 hours from Dallas, 5 hours from KC, 7 hours from St Louis and 11 long hours from Denver, plus it will put us back in the middle between the coasts. DC to west coast flights suck big time. But does OKC even have a well connected airport or will I have to connect all the time?
I've never been to Oklahoma City, but I can't imagine it's as bad as you think it is. At least not so bad where you would have to drive seven hours to St. Louis to entertain yourself -- I think your notion of St. Louis and Oklahoma City being radically different is a little outdated, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City