Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times

Advertisements

St. Louis Missouri is named the 3rd City on America Top 20 Cities That You Wouldn't Want To Live In List......
News Headlines

Last edited by Howest2008; 10-23-2011 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I've never been to Oklahoma City, but I can't imagine it's as bad as you think it is. At least not so bad where you would have to drive seven hours to St. Louis to entertain yourself -- I think your notion of St. Louis and Oklahoma City being radically different is a little outdated, frankly.
St Louis and OKC could not be more different. But then again, you have never been to OKC...

Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
St. Louis Missouri is named the 3rd City on America Top 20 Cities That You Wouldn't Want To Live In List......
News Headlines
yippie, a list! Seriously, you even entertain lists like this?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM

St. Louis Missouri Get's A Black Eye
News Headlines

OK I'm finish messing around with Kansas City and St. Louis , had a get my jabs in for KCMO taking jabs at Oklahoma City and Tulsa LOOL that's Laughing Out Loud COOL....howest2008 style....

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM

285 posts, read 568,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not bothered one bit by crime in kc and stl. Both cities are perfectly safe and I feel the cities are no more of a risk than any other major city. Stats may rank them high, but the fact is, crime is just not an issue in either city unless you are involved with drugs, gangs etc and hang out in the parts of town doing stupid things like drugs and drive by shootings.

If you are a normal person, kc and stl are no more dangerous than any other city.

Having said that, I realize they’re not elite cities, but Missouri is where most of my family and friends are so that's why it will always be at the top of my list.

I actually like Denver and Minneapolis better than both KC and StL. But KC and StL dangerous? Please.
They ARE dangerous. You're in denial if you think innocent people are simply exempt from being a victim of violent crime. Innocent people are often targets in a robbery. Being shot is less likely, but in any case I certainly wouldn't want to take the extra risk to put myself in an area where gunfire is a daily event. Such is the case with St. Louis - you don't have to venture far at all from the (small) core before hitting crime-infested, bombed-out "neighborhoods." After visiting again last year I remembered why most people rightly consider it to be one of America's biggest dumps.

I can think of few cities worse than St. Louis. Sure, some urbanists like it because it has lots of pre-war buildings and walkable, "urban" neighborhoods that give the illusion of density, but beneath that facade it is a decaying and filthy place with little vibrancy. Cities are about people, diversity, and excitement and St. Louis offers very little in that regard. There are suburbs of Dallas and Houston with more culture and nightlife than St. Louis. Even KC is exciting relative to St. Louis.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
^Couldn't disagree more with you. Have you actually spent much time in St. Louis? Such an assesment leads me to believe that you have not. Heck the Central West End alone is more exciting than just about any neighborhood in the other cities you have mentioned.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
They ARE dangerous. You're in denial if you think innocent people are simply exempt from being a victim of violent crime. Innocent people are often targets in a robbery. Being shot is less likely, but in any case I certainly wouldn't want to take the extra risk to put myself in an area where gunfire is a daily event. Such is the case with St. Louis - you don't have to venture far at all from the (small) core before hitting crime-infested, bombed-out "neighborhoods." After visiting again last year I remembered why most people rightly consider it to be one of America's biggest dumps.

I can think of few cities worse than St. Louis. Sure, some urbanists like it because it has lots of pre-war buildings and walkable, "urban" neighborhoods that give the illusion of density, but beneath that facade it is a decaying and filthy place with little vibrancy. Cities are about people, diversity, and excitement and St. Louis offers very little in that regard. There are suburbs of Dallas and Houston with more culture and nightlife than St. Louis. Even KC is exciting relative to St. Louis.
Man I feel sorry for you if you are scared to enjoy a city like StLouis because you are worried about being shot or robbed. That is just so silly. Most areas of StL City are fine and even if you do venture into the "bad" areas, the chances of you being shot or robbed and minimal unless you partake in criminal activity yourself. StL has plenty of vibrant, busy and highly livable areas in the city. I guess you need your hand held when visiting some cities, but it may be worth it rather than writing them off as slum cities

Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Man I feel sorry for you if you are scared to enjoy a city like StLouis because you are worried about being shot or robbed. That is just so silly. Most areas of StL City are fine and even if you do venture into the "bad" areas, the chances of you being shot or robbed and minimal unless you partake in criminal activity yourself. StL has plenty of vibrant, busy and highly livable areas in the city. I guess you need your hand held when visiting some cities, but it may be worth it rather than writing them off as slum cities

The chances of being shot and mugged are a great deal greater in Kansas City and St. Louis than in Oklahoma City.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM

285 posts, read 568,074 times
Quote:
Believe me, I'm not scared to visit St. Louis, nor would I be scared to live there. My point is that the probability of being a victim of violent crime is so much higher in St. Louis than in most other US cities that it detracts from the overall quality of life there (not that it is high to begin with). I have personally seen more than enough of St. Louis - including its nicer areas - to write it off as a giant ****hole. You may beg to differ - but then again you find KC exciting which throws your judgment into question.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
Believe me, I'm not scared to visit St. Louis, nor would I be scared to live there. My point is that the probability of being a victim of violent crime is so much higher in St. Louis than in most other US cities that it detracts from the overall quality of life there (not that it is high to begin with). I have personally seen more than enough of St. Louis - including its nicer areas - to write it off as a giant ****hole. You may beg to differ - but then again you find KC exciting which throws your judgment into question.
I been to St. Louis and if you hang out in the Tourist area's it's pretty safe...but it's still one of AMERICA'S top 3 or 4 most dangerous cities..which WASHINGTON DC once upon a TIME WAS....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City