Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times

Advertisements

I don't know about all that. SF has the best Chinatown, definitely plenty of authentic food there.

Even Philly has a big enough of a Chinatown that there are numerous very authentic restaurants to eat. My personal favorite, to the point of addiction, is Szechuan Tasty House at 9'th and Arch, some of the best Chinese I've ever had. Not going to Chinatown? Han Dynasty in Old City is a cut above all that, and they will kick your butt with their Asian spice, I promise you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousRegion View Post
You just hate NYC. What did we ever do to you? Have you even ever ate at NYC? Please provide a list of where you ate....

SF Chinese food is too overrated. It's too Americanized. The stuff we get over here is the stuff Chinese people actually eat back in China, not General Tso's chicken or chop suey.

Has anyone from the West Coast actually ever eaten in Flushing? You guys don't corner the Asian market anymore Some of the BEST Korean and Indian food can be found in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 PM

33 posts, read 43,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andover11 View Post
Wake us up when San Francisco has Italian food (which coincidentally, is by far the most popular "ethnic" food according to Harris Interactive) that can compare to what you find in New York City.

You simply have an inferiority complex with anything New York City which I find tiring. I find very hard to believe that there are somehow no Asian or Indian restaurants in an extremely diverse city of 8,000,000+ but there somehow appears to be a plethora of such establishments in cities of 500,000-800,000 population counts.

Not only is New York continually ranked the best city at the top and mid range by monied "limp wristed" experts (good one, homopohobe ), New York City is without compare in the low-range as well. Such is the result of being a city bustling with diversity and prestige which will always attract exceptional food and global culinary elite who will continuously seal and ensure New York's permanent position as the #1 food city.
Seriously.

Even where SF or LA is supposed to be "strong" NYC does more than demolish it.

Anyways, Italian is by far everyone's favorite food. I don't know anyone who hates it.

Again, if you've haven't had Pho in NYC, then you really haven't had it well in the United States. By far its better than anything that I've had in any other city, SF and LA included. If you walk down Main St or Kissena, you'll find more than enough good Chinese food to forget that SF or LA even exist.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Wake us up when San Francisco has Italian food (which coincidentally, is by far the most popular "ethnic" food according to polling) that can compare to what you will find in New York City. Wake us up when San Francisco matches New York's French culinary scene. There are simply more refined and satisfyig choices of cuisine than greasy Mexican and Chinese food.

You simply have an inferiority complex with anything New York City which I find tiring. I find very hard to believe that there are somehow no Asian or Indian restaurants in an extremely diverse city of 8,000,000+ but there somehow appears to be a plethora of such establishments in cities of 500,000-800,000 population counts.

Not only is New York continually ranked the best city at the top and mid range by monied "limp wristed" experts (good one, homopohobe ), New York City is without compare in the low-range as well. Such is the result of being a city bustling with diversity and prestige which will always attract exceptional food and global culinary elite who will continuously seal and ensure New York's permanent position as the #1 food city.
...hmm, is this another pollster shell account

I never said the food in NYC was bad, I just said I think it's better here. If anyone has an inferiority complex, it's not me, kid

Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Seriously.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you get out of bed in the morning...

Anyways, Italian is by far everyone's favorite food. I don't know anyone who hates it. [/quote]
I don't hate it, but it ain't my favorite. I know plenty of people who like other cuisine more than Italian.

Quote:
Again, if you've haven't had Pho in NYC, then you really haven't had it well in the United States. By far its better than anything that I've had in any other city, SF and LA included.
Ha. Ha. Ha. Funny. Guarantee you you've never been to Westminster, if you've ever been to the LA or SF areas at all.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM

27 posts, read 50,183 times
I don't really like Chinese food. It tastes weird, but SF has us on Chinese food. No doubt about it. Don't argue either because, yes I have docked in the bay for 4 months and since my navy buds like Chinese food. We would head in the bay to grab a bite, (but I got Mexican food lol). I agree that SF has Philly beat in restaurants but Philly has SF beat in numbers since its bigger. To tell the truth Philly has SF beat in European and african/west Indian butsf got Philly on Asian.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
TGFMV - Thank God for Marc Vetri

Vetri - Vetri Vetri Ristorante
Osteria -Osteria Restaurant
Amis - Amis

Quote:
Seriously.

Anyways, Italian is by far everyone's favorite food. I don't know anyone who hates it.

Again, if you've haven't had Pho in NYC, then you really haven't had it well in the United States. By far its better than anything that I've had in any other city, SF and LA included.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Wake us up when those cities have Italian food (which coincidentally, is by far the most popular "ethnic" food according to polling) that can compare to what you will find in New York City. Wake us up when those locales match New York's French culinary scene. There are simply more refined and satisfying choices of cuisine than greasy Mexican and Chinese food.

You simply have an inferiority complex with anything New York City which I find tiring. I find very hard to believe that there are somehow no Asian or Indian restaurants in an extremely diverse city of 8,000,000+ yet somehow Boston and San Francisco, cities of 500,000-800,000, are busting through the seams of such options.

Not only is New York continually ranked the best city at the top and mid range by monied "limp wristed" experts (good one, homopohobe ), New York City is without compare in the low-range as well. Such is the result of being a city bustling with diversity and prestige which will always attract exceptional food and global culinary elite who will continuously seal and ensure New York's position as U.S.'s top food city.

And you somehow believe San Francisco is not the bolded? Please.

And only someone who's never been to SF believes there's a lack of "refined" cuisine.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM

33 posts, read 43,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't hate it, but it ain't my favorite. I know plenty of people who like other cuisine more than Italian.
Then you aren't like every other person then. It's rare to meet someone who doesn't love Italian.

Quote:
Ha. Ha. Ha. Funny. Guarantee you you've never been to Westminster, if you've ever been to the LA or SF areas at all.
I thought this was about city limits only? Westminster is a good 30-45 minutes away from Los Angeles.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 PM

27 posts, read 50,183 times
ALSO Philly beat SF in homestyle cooking/restaurants and Philly also has SF beat in city starters/representations

City starter/rep means stuff that a city is known for like water ice soft prezels and cheesesteaks ECT.

To tell truth, I don't know any hometown food from SF that has the cheesesteak beat.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Seriously.

Again, if you've haven't had Pho in NYC, then you really haven't had it well in the United States. By far its better than anything that I've had in any other city, SF and LA included. If you walk down Main St or Kissena, you'll find more than enough good Chinese food to forget that SF or LA even exist.

Where does NY demolish SF or LA in anything Asian? Oh wait, it's the other way around.

Quote:
If you walk down Main St or Kissena, you'll find more than enough good Chinese food to forget that SF or LA even exist.
Keep deluding yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City