Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times

Advertisements

In terms of large cities, would put Chicago and Atlanta on top as they serve as a hub for respective conference. Though i spent time in Atlanta, I can't comment on the college scene, other than folks at work. Most were SEC (Fla,Ga,Al) but pretty die-hard nonetheless

Would agree that Chicago North side has a vibrant college sport fans. My friend started up two MSU (Mich State) bars that are doing well. There was even an article i read (need to find) where entrepreneurs were with no collegiate ties whatsoever were opening bars for a specific University because it was good business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Now this statement in and of itself makes me question a fanbase

Sounds like the equivelenet of Cowboy fan in the NFL
Cowboy fans stay the entire game. Heck, they sat and watched the Jax game in its entire game last year. You're just showing your bias since you're an Eagle fan.

Longhorn fans do support their team. They just aren't as rabid as LSU or Auburn fans. They are the southwest equivalent to Michigan fans. Not loud but still supportive in a big stadium.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
And just saying "Austin sucks" is b.s. in my eyes.

All Austin has are the Texas Longhorns. Hell, they wouldn't take any major pro sports team because of the what the Longhorns bring to the city. All you see is burnt orange and Longhorns sh*t around Austin. Considering how big it is, it should be a little impressive to see how the city views UT.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Are you at DK Royal Memorial staidum right now?
Nope.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That doesn't sound right. I'm guessing either you went there last season when there wasn't much to cheer about, or you're one of those fanatics who shoot at people not wearing your team's jersey and think anything less than that isn't being a "real" fan....
I'm not saying UT fans don't love their team, but they are DKR Stadium is not that tough of a place to play for the other team. I've been to over 25 college football stadiums, Big 12, SEC, and Big 10. UT fans expect to win, whereas some other schools cheer much louder, trying to force their team to win . I'm sorry that my objectivity forces you to make sterotypical remarks.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree about Atlanta, Columbus, and Austin. However I feel Atlanta is unique in the sense that it's a congregation of sports fans of an entire region. Graduates of Georgia Tech, Georgia, Clemson, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc, all seem to gravitate to the city. Austin and Columbus aren't centers for a variety of teams...they're simply the location of University of Texas, and Ohio State University.

You may even be able to throw Chicago in there as similar to Atlanta. Chicago is sort of like the Mecca of the Big Ten. I feel when people graduate from schools like Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc, a great deal of graduates move to Chicago since it's the most major city of the region. I may be off, but I had three friends go to Big Ten schools...two of them moved to Chicago, and when the other goes to visit his old college buddies, he goes to Chicago.

Can any Big Tenners out there confirm or deny this? FWIW, I think the more Eastern schools of the Big Ten like Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State don't necessarily follow this trend as much as the Western Big Ten schools.

P.S. If this is true, I wonder if this will result in a greater influx of Nebraska graduates into Chicago now that they're part of the Big Ten.
Boy, I feel almost the OPPOSITE! I agree that Iowa and Wisconsin may have tons of alums that migrate to Chicago, but I don't think so many U of Minnesota alums migrate there, and I KNOW a lot of Iowans and Wisconsinites migrate to the Twin Cities sometimes as well as Chicago.

Now, on the East side, I JUST got done discussing the Ohio State (or Ohio in general) love connection with Chicago. It seems that at least 50% of all OSU grads feel compelled to move to Chicago quickly after they graduate school. Chicago is "mecca" for OSU grads it seems, and it's the place they go to get that big city, fun vibe where jobs are a-plenty. There are so many alumni associations in the Chicago area it's insane! I can't say the same for any other school other than maybe Wisconsin and Notre Dame (Michigan and Mich. St. alums also migrate to Chicago).

Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Boy, I feel almost the OPPOSITE! I agree that Iowa and Wisconsin may have tons of alums that migrate to Chicago, but I don't think so many U of Minnesota alums migrate there, and I KNOW a lot of Iowans and Wisconsinites migrate to the Twin Cities sometimes as well as Chicago.

Now, on the East side, I JUST got done discussing the Ohio State (or Ohio in general) love connection with Chicago. It seems that at least 50% of all OSU grads feel compelled to move to Chicago quickly after they graduate school. Chicago is "mecca" for OSU grads it seems, and it's the place they go to get that big city, fun vibe where jobs are a-plenty. There are so many alumni associations in the Chicago area it's insane! I can't say the same for any other school other than maybe Wisconsin and Notre Dame (Michigan and Mich. St. alums also migrate to Chicago).

For PSU from the Big ten Chicago is by no means the mecca, that would be Philly/DC/NYC (pittsburgh to a lessor extent) - honestly I would speculate there is a far larger PSU contingent in LA and SF than in Chicago.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I'm not saying UT fans don't love their team, but they are DKR Stadium is not that tough of a place to play for the other team. I've been to over 25 college football stadiums, Big 12, SEC, and Big 10. UT fans expect to win, whereas some other schools cheer much louder, trying to force their team to win . I'm sorry that my objectivity forces you to make sterotypical remarks.

First: Those "stereotypical remarks" were a joke. I don't even see how it could be stereotypcial since it wasn't pointing to any specific fan base. I'd say that to anyone who doesn't think UT has fans.

Second: You start off by saying "Austin sucks". Exactly how is anyone supposed to take that? I'm not even from Austin or that much of a Longhorns fan and even I know it's a bit insulting to say that just because they're not the loudest or most enthusiastic it makes them less of a sports fan base, which is where the joke comes in as to say... what else do you want? UT may not be Liverpool FC supporters, but they get loud just like any big fan base.

Third: I think any major program like UT, Bama, Florida, Ohio St., USC, Notre Dame, and etc. expects to win. UT may show it in a different way, but it doesn't mean they suck as fans.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
UT had the quietest 100k fans I ever heard last year when UCLA rolled into Austin. Go Bruins!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
UT had the quietest 100k fans I ever heard last year when UCLA rolled into Austin. Go Bruins!
Well that'll happen when the team has the worst winning percentage since 1988. Tough, tough year for the Horns last year...wouldn't expect it to last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City