Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Boston 80 70.80%
Baltimore 33 29.20%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Bostons Metro is almost twice as big as Baltimores 4.6 vs2.4 million
Baltimore's metro is 2.7million, and growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore's metro is 2.7million, and growing.
Ok then boston is only 2,000,000 larger.
By city Proper Baltmore is 3,000 larger than Boston, with 32 more sq miles

Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
OK so metro populations aside, why not face facts: Baltimore has a re-born downtown, good food, decent baseball. I'll avoid superlatives, unless the topic switches to: Accessibility. The dig on Boston is that it's cut-off from the core of the northeast megalopolis. Sure it's part of the same grid, but pesky Connecticut sits between Providence and NYC. Not to crack too hard on CT, but they suck at cities, in the same manner as Jersey.

Baltimore shines by comparison, with under 1 hour city-center to city-center drive to D.C. Light St to North Capitol St NW - Google Maps

That's huge. Dallas to Ft. Worth is 35 minutes. 55 minutes of driving never stopped me from going somewhere. In my book, Baltimore w/DC<1hr is better than Boston w/Providence<1hr. Boston has more going on downtown than Baltimore, D.C. totally makes up for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore's metro is 2.7million

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Ok then boston is only 2,000,000 larger.
By city Proper Baltmore is 3,000 larger than Boston, with 32 more sq miles
U already know why Baltimore's metro is only 2.7million. The big vacuum known as Washington DC is thd reason.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
OK so metro populations aside, why not face facts: Baltimore has a re-born downtown, good food, decent baseball. I'll avoid superlatives, unless the topic switches to: Accessibility. The dig on Boston is that it's cut-off from the core of the northeast megalopolis. Sure it's part of the same grid, but pesky Connecticut sits between Providence and NYC. Not to crack too hard on CT, but they suck at cities, in the same manner as Jersey.

Baltimore shines by comparison, with under 1 hour city-center to city-center drive to D.C. Light St to North Capitol St NW - Google Maps

That's huge. Dallas to Ft. Worth is 35 minutes. 55 minutes of driving never stopped me from going somewhere. In my book, Baltimore w/DC<1hr is better than Boston w/Providence<1hr. Boston has more going on downtown than Baltimore, D.C. totally makes up for that.
I think it is good Boston is seperated, it allows it to stay culturly Different, while Philly, Baltimore and New York are losing local Flavor and quirks.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I think it is good Boston is seperated, it allows it to stay culturly Different, while Philly, Baltimore and New York are losing local Flavor and quirks.
I agree with u on being seperate.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM

You honestly believe that? Provoke away, but in Philly's case I'd say not even slightly. I've been soft lately, spreading the cheer, but Philly is THE city for local flavor/quirks. Make no mistake about it, I've never seen Boston bust out with anywhere near the 'local flavor' of Philly. It's too small and homogeneous for that to happen.

Quote:
I think it is good Boston is seperated, it allows it to stay culturly Different, whilePhilly, Baltimore and New York are losing local Flavor and quirks.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You honestly believe that? Provoke away, but in Philly's case I'd say not even slightly. I've been soft lately, spreading the cheer, but Philly is THE city for local flavor/quirks. Make no mistake about it, I've never seen Boston bust out with anywhere near the 'local flavor' of Philly. It's too small and homogeneous for that to happen.
Go to South Boston Chalestown, or East Boston, he'll even the North end andsay there is no local flavor, lol

Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I may have to disagree. Out of the five NE cities, I think DC is the only city that doesn't have a pronounced local flavor outside of black culture. However, a white person from DC could be mistaken for Anywhere USA.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 08-18-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Not saying Boston doesn't have it. The assertion that Philly is losing it is just plain wrong, and as to the question of which city has more? If you want to call it a tie I'm fine with that, if you refuse then I'll have to argue on Philly's behalf. I know both places very, very well so you don't have to point me in any directions. I still go up there because my lifelong friends still live up there. If by local flavor you mean good clam chowder, then Boston beats Philly.

Quote:
Go to South Boston Chalestown, or East Boston, he'll even the North end andsay there is no local flavor, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City