Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats your choice?
DC 44 50.00%
Atlanta 27 30.68%
Miami 23 26.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It does not, trust me on this one.

Mall options in the Miami Metro is also much better. Miami has the 5th and 6th largest malls in the country List of largest shopping malls in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And there are plenty of more malls in the area too. Also we have a great outdoor/walking type mall in Lincoln Road which beats Georgetown any day. The advantage I will give to DC is Pentagon city and its direct metro stop which is great! Made it very easy for me to get there, Miami does have a mall with a direct metro stop too but not many people use the metro here.
You can add Tyson's I mall, Tyson's II mall, and Tyson's Galleria to malls in DC with direct metro access soon when the Silver Metro Line opens in less than 2 years. Also, City Center is going to put DC on a different level in two years. The downtown shopping in DC is about to rise to a new level.
http://www.citycenterdc.com/

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-14-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Also, City Center is going to put DC on a different level in two years. The downtown shopping in DC is about to rise to a new level.
CityCenterDC
It's going to be very interesting to see the kind of retail City Center is able to attract. I've heard through the grapevine that they're looking to bring in a "high-end" anchor tenant a la Nordstrom's to fill a chunk of the space. If that pans out, that would be a real watershed for downtown DC's renaissance. It might also force the Macy's to actually become a decent store, but I doubt it.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It's going to be very interesting to see the kind of retail City Center is able to attract. I've heard through the grapevine that they're looking to bring in a "high-end" anchor tenant a la Nordstrom's to fill a chunk of the space. If that pans out, that would be a real watershed for downtown DC's renaissance. It might also force the Macy's to actually become a decent store, but I doubt it.
I heard through some sources that Bloomingdales was in talks to be the anchor. It will definitely be interesting to see what it becomes.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Walking around Georgetown is much better than any mall. Miami has no answer for what Georgetown has to offer. These large malls are way overated. Kids Gap, Baby Gap, Regular Gap, Teen Gap, etc.. That's why they have so many stores.

lincoln road - Google Maps

Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I agree Gtown is nothing special. It is a great looking neighborhood, would love to live ther one day. But the stores there are nothing special, and the food there is not even that great either. It all gets more unique up the hill on Wisconsin I will say that. And the waterfront is nice. But talking about things to do I say Lincoln Road and the immediate surrounding area has Georgetown beat.
Georgetown is a neighborhood, lincoln road is more of a street really, Lincoln road is M street. It is an all pedestrian walkway, stores, bars, restraunts on each side along with other things. It is what you find in Europe. Think Las Ramblas in Barcelona, the last thing it is, is suburban. Miami Beach Lincoln Road, Miami y Miami Beach Photo Gallery USA

http://lincolnroadmall.com/wp-content/themes/thesis_182/thesis_182/custom/rotator/people-walking-lincoln-road.jpg (broken link)

http://citybuzz.com/wp-content/uploa...ncoln-road.JPG

http://buildipedia.com/images/master...Jungles_12.jpg
Those shots look nice--thanks for posting. I'll definitely check out Lincoln Rd. the next time I'm in Miami.

I still don't think it resembles Georgetown in much of any way--M Street and Wisconsin are basically block after block of dense, clustered retail businesses--unquestionably the densest retail corridor in the city still today. I wouldn't be surprised if the retail offerings are very similar with what Lincoln Rd. has to offer, but based simply on images alone Lincoln Rd. looks more planned and generic (a la a "town center"-type development), whereas Georgetown feels more organic and authentically urban, even if its retail offerings are rather bland and pedestrian.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Those shots look nice--thanks for posting. I'll definitely check out Lincoln Rd. the next time I'm in Miami.

I still don't think it resembles Georgetown in much of any way--M Street and Wisconsin are basically block after block of dense, clustered retail businesses--unquestionably the densest retail corridor in the city still today. I wouldn't be surprised if the retail offerings are very similar with what Lincoln Rd. has to offer, but based simply on images alone Lincoln Rd. looks more planned and generic (a la a "town center"-type development), whereas Georgetown feels more organic and authentically urban, even if its retail offerings are rather bland and pedestrian.
Again I agree Georgetown is an old part of the City. I dont think it looks like Georgetown but this is Miami's version of Gtown. It is what Miami would make. We are warm all year no need for cars. Lincoln was not a development though, some of those buildings on the sides went up in the 1920s and 1930s which for Miami is pretty old. The thing with Lincoln road is there are no cars. Which is a great thing, but it is not a neighborhood like Georgetown.

Georgetown is my favorite neighborhood in the US. Love it there. And both are similar to what they offer to the city. But Lincoln Road has more variety in places to eat. Shopping, I am not a big shopping fan really. Lincoln Road is more Miami type shopping which IMO is better then what DC offers. Going up Wisconsin the stores get better IMO. But the shopping is the pretty simliar but Lincoln Road offers more variety then Gtown. And many more places to eat.
Here is lincoln Road a long time ago:

I cant find any "actual" old pictures online. Have a few in some books I have. Lincoln Road used to be an actual road. The vast majority of the buildings along the strip were there by the 1950s. The only planned part about it was cutting off traffic which made it what it is now. It just came to be, this is the type of thing you find in Europe. It is planned to be a place for people to go and walk etc.. But it is not like some developer made it happen in the 1970s. Some of Miami Beaches oldest buildings are in the area. Like the Miami Beach community church which was orginally built on Lincoln Road and is still there. It was built in 1921 yes for most places that is nothing special. For Miami Beach which was formed in 1915 it is a big deal.
http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item...6/036/c1W2.jpg

http://www.mb-communitychurch.org/images/MBCC_main_entrance.jpg (broken link)

I am only showing you one part of the neighborhood. Right next to the Lincoln Road Strip there are many apartment buildings. And plenty of more urban space around the area. Like in some of the pictures in the quote above.
Polo: I think the new park space they put next to the Movie Theater is AWESOME! It is my favorite Urban space in the whole state. Just great, gives a very nice urban/busy feeling espeically on a weekend night. What a fantastic job they did. Along with that cool parking garage. Only in Miami does a parking garage double as an event venue and someones home.
1111 Lincoln Road 01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joevare/4698017921/ - broken link)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...6m1vo1_500.jpg

Last edited by FlyMIA; 09-14-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Again I agree Georgetown is an old part of the City. I dont think it looks like Georgetown but this is Miami's version of Gtown. It is what Miami would make. We are warm all year no need for cars. Lincoln was not a development though, some of those buildings on the sides went up in the 1920s and 1930s which for Miami is pretty old. The thing with Lincoln road is there are no cars. Which is a great thing, but it is not a neighborhood like Georgetown.

Georgetown is my favorite neighborhood in the US. Love it there. And both are similar to what they offer to the city. But Lincoln Road has more variety in places to eat. Shopping, I am not a big shopping fan really. Lincoln Road is more Miami type shopping which IMO is better then what DC offers. Going up Wisconsin the stores get better IMO. But the shopping is the pretty simliar but Lincoln Road offers more variety then Gtown. And many more places to eat.

I cant find any "actual" old pictures online. Have a few in some books I have. Lincoln Road used to be an actual road. The vast majority of the buildings along the strip were there by the 1950s. The only planned part about it was cutting off traffic which made it what it is now. It just came to be, this is the type of thing you find in Europe. It is planned to be a place for people to go and walk etc.. But it is not like some developer made it happen in the 1970s. Some of Miami Beaches oldest buildings are in the area. Like the Miami Beach community church which was orginally built on Lincoln Road and is still there. It was built in 1921 yes for most places that is nothing special. For Miami Beach which was formed in 1915 it is a big deal.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/21/571721/1/79...ami_3_400H.jpg

I am only showing you one part of the neighborhood. Right next to the Lincoln Road Strip there are many apartment buildings. And plenty of more urban space around the area. Like in some of the pictures in the quote above.
Polo: I think the new park space they put next to the Movie Theater is AWESOME! It is my favorite Urban space in the whole state. Just great, gives a very nice urban/busy feeling espeically on a weekend night. What a fantastic job they did. Along with that cool parking garage. Only in Miami does a parking garage double as an event venue and someones home.
1111 Lincoln Road 01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joevare/4698017921/ - broken link)

Yeah that urban space is pretty awesome.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Lincoln rd. seems more like DC's Friendship Heights than Georgetown.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Lincoln rd. seems more like DC's Friendship Heights than Georgetown.
It may somewhat look the same. (I dont think it does) But people are missing my point I think. In DC when people want to go walk around, shop, have dinner and maybe go to a bar. Maybe have a outdoor lunch or something they go to Georgetown. In Miami they go to Lincoln Road. That is what I am saying. What Georgetown is to DC, Lincoln Road is to Miami. But again Lincoln Road is just ONE road, 5-6 blocks long. So I am also trying to compare a road with a whole neighborhood. But that area of Miami Beach is what Georgetown is to DC. That type of place. Not saying they look a like. They just share the same purpose.

I orginally brought this up because someone stated Miami has "nothing" to compete with Georgetown. Which it very well does and IMO beats what Georgetown has to offer as a place to eat, shop, drink etc.. But as a neighborhood as a place to live, or in looks Georgetown is my favorite neighborhood in North America!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
In DC when tourists want to go walk around, shop, have dinner and maybe go to a bar. Maybe have a outdoor lunch or something they go to Georgetown.
Fixed that for you.

Very few DC residents view Georgetown as a regular destination neighborhood (unless, of course, they live there). You'll find far more tourists roaming Georgetown's commercial streets than locals on most given nights. The bar and dining scene in Georgetow is decidedly mediocre--a few highlights, but mostly overpriced, unexciting mediocrity. It's a fun place to hang out in every once in awhile, and the new waterfront park is awesome--but it's a misconception that Georgetown remains the predominant neighborhood for locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City