Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Although not the tallest. The USX Tower in Pittsburgh is one of the largest skyscrapers and has a very powerful appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, I was about to tell everybody that they were missing one until you mentioned it.

HELLO!!!
Pittsburgh has a few "Powerful" Gothic Skyscrapers USX Tower, PPG Place etc...Even the Cathedral of Learning could make a run at it.

PPG -

Cathedral of Learning

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM

284 posts, read 696,153 times
Wow I think the gm building in detroit looks powerful.
My list in no order these buildings look like beast in different ways.

ESB, just so much history and shows america in the 30s
chrysler building, same as esb
sears tower, our version of esb but a different era
Hancock building, our version of the chrysler building
gm building detroit, it is so big might not be as tall as the others but its big but and beastly.
wtc those two towers together where pretty much the example to beastly so big so tall and TWO of them.

No other towers look beastly or powerful to me. I have been spoild by chicago when I see other cities buildings I yawn their are some exceptions tho.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post

No other towers look beastly or powerful to me. I have been spoild by chicago when I see other cities buildings I yawn their are some exceptions tho.
Living in Chicago would spoil anyone with skyscrapers and buildings in general. Personally, I think it's my favorite skyline in the US, even if it's not as bulky as New York.

Still, there are some towers that rock even though they're not that huge. The Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh is a good example. I think you could argue that the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco is another. I think the John Hancock tower in Boston is imposing from anywhere around Copley Square even though it's not super huge.

It's tough to beat Chicago's Sears and Hancock towers though in terms of being imposing.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM

284 posts, read 696,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Living in Chicago would spoil anyone with skyscrapers and buildings in general. Personally, I think it's my favorite skyline in the US, even if it's not as bulky as New York.

Still, there are some towers that rock even though they're not that huge. The Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh is a good example. I think you could argue that the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco is another. I think the John Hancock tower in Boston is imposing from anywhere around Copley Square even though it's not super huge.

It's tough to beat Chicago's Sears and Hancock towers though in terms of being imposing.
That's why I said their is some exceptions. And most of those are in the north east.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,852 times
i think that one photo of the freedom tower and the lit-up twin tower memorials is fake. The freedom tower is not that far away from them.

Did they really light up like that? I was in Queens on sept 11 (of this year) and didn't see the spotlights.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 PM

224 posts, read 347,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
i think that one photo of the freedom tower and the lit-up twin tower memorials is fake. The freedom tower is not that far away from them.

Did they really light up like that? I was in Queens on sept 11 (of this year) and didn't see the spotlights.
Well, you're wrong. It's not fake. The light tribute was simply moved to a more convenient location (on top of the Battery Parking Garage), away from the WTC construction/preparation for the memorial opening on 9/11.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM

343 posts, read 804,998 times

My favorites have been mentioned already. Although its not the most imposing, Fountain place is my favorite in Dallas even though its not the tallest.

Nothing will beat the dominance of the World Trade Centers anytime soon. Their legacy will live on forever

Still deeply sad for me to look at.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
The Chrysler Building is elegant and pretty but powerfull it is not! ESB is in the same boat as the Chrysler building because they're surrounded by a sea of other skyscrapers.

The most powerful Skycrapers are the old WTC , the John Hancock building and the Sears Tower

Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
The Sears Tower will continue to be the bolder wider dominant supertall for a very long time. It has more volume handling more people. The Freedom Tower's design seemed to be compromised with a spire at the top and looks skinnier which doesn't have a full bold volume body like the orginal WTC and Sears. It will never be as bold and powerful as the Twin Towers. I'd rather see the original WTC rebuilt. NYC will never be the same without the Twin Towers. The boldest skyscraper in NYC with more fuller volume is MetLife. If Sears were in NYC it easily would tower over ESB casting a big shadow on it and dominate the Mahattan skyline.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyPhilly View Post
Get out more k?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City