Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 07:51 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,242,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Poor regional marketing. Contentment. Slackish politicians.

In a word the region got lazy.

I disagree with those who say its no big deal what ranking you are. CSMA's are just numbers yadda yadda. These rankings are very valuable from a marketing standpoint.

Washington DC got tired of being in the back of the pack so they made up a new category(CSMA) where they doubled their population, doubled their GDP rankings overnight. Its a slick marketing trick and the Bay Area, Boston caught on as well. Philadelphia politicians and marketers didnt seem to care, didnt push enough to unite and demand there own supersized marketing area.(Del Valley)

Up until 2000 census the biggest regions in the USA were NY,LA,Chi,Phl,Det. Then everyone else.

Now with these CSMAs everything has become distorted and misleading.
It's all just a marketing trick? That's your explanation for CSAs? So the "Bay Area" for example is nonexistent, and is just a conspiracy to look better on GDP lists? We are not actually a metro area? LOL

And of course your preferred method of measuring metros is the obsolete one that has Philly closer to the top of the list...cling to whatever makes you feel superior, i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,957,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Washington DC GDP is still $425 billion without combining anything, there is no need to double everything. The numbers don't lie and are what they are so stop blaming it on politicians for where these numbers stand.

You said it yourself DC would still be 4th ranked MSA if we're dividing it that way and basically would tie for 6th with Boston ($430 billion) if you ONLY compared DC's MSA with other cities CSA's. Don't give us that adding on too much crap. We share a CSA with another major city in which most metro areas cannot compare, other than maybe Bay Area. Still DC/Bmore are 35 miles apart, the BULK of the population is NOT scattered out in Harve De Grace or Fredericksburg. The majority of that GDP comes from the immediate Beltway counties in DC MSA as well as the District, and Baltimore City, Howard county (Part of Bmore MSA but commutes heavily to DC), Anne Arundel, and Baltimore County. All of these jurisdictions line up on the I-95 corridor or are at least no further than 15 miles away from I-95 traveling East to West. And they all at least touch the next jurisdiction in a continuous pattern.

When are people going to stop hating on DC and just admit it has grown to the 2nd most important metropolis on the East Coast and probably top 4 or 5 in the country.??
This in some ways is a perfect example of how a few miles can make the difference in moving 100's of thousands of people from MSA to MSA etc. The new Homeland Sec facility on the BW parkway is in the Balt MSA and is probably the reson that Anne Arundal and PG dont make the MSA connection - commuters go all directions here. The same takes place in other areas. Another example is the Merril Lynch facility in Ewing NJ (was supposed to go in Newtown Bucks county PA but last minute NJ lured 3 miles away). That facility is another that had it swung the couple of thousand of employees that swing MSA connections could have actually created the CSA connection of NYC and Philly via Mercer (would have retained MSA with Philly and CSA to NYC, instead it created 3 MSAs on a border with people that flow in every direction. That facility actually has a fair number of daily commuters from 4 seperate MSAs all make the commute in inder an hour and commuters from 3 seperate MSAs (Mercer, NYC either Somerset or Hunterdon, and Bucks and Burlington in the Philly MSA) can all get to the facility in under 20 minutes. These are examples where these lines just seem silly

Also agree on the far flung places, Harve De Grace directly borders the Philly MSA in Cecil County MD which honestly for the life of me makes no sense as Cecil has so little connectivity with Philly yet places like Trenton are not even in the CSA. These things make no logical sense. Though none of these places are what drives the regional economies, no offense to harve De grace, a cool little town on the Chesepeake, a quick jaunt for really fresh MD crab the way I look at it from where I live

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,222,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Also agree on the far flung places, Harve De Grace directly borders the Philly MSA in Cecil County MD which honestly for the life of me makes no sense as Cecil has so little connectivity with Philly yet places like Trenton are not even in the CSA. These things make no logical sense. Though none of these places are what drives the regional economies, no offense to harve De grace, a cool little town on the Chesepeake, a quick jaunt for really fresh MD crab the way I look at it from where I live

Actually Havre de Grace is part of Washington/Bal CSMA.

Its Cecil County Md/Elkton Md that is part of Philly metro.

To be honest it is justly deserved as its continuous development from Elkton/Newark De./Wilmington.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,778,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This in some ways is a perfect example of how a few miles can make the difference in moving 100's of thousands of people from MSA to MSA etc. The new Homeland Sec facility on the BW parkway is in the Balt MSA and is probably the reson that Anne Arundal and PG dont make the MSA connection - commuters go all directions here. The same takes place in other areas. Another example is the Merril Lynch facility in Ewing NJ (was supposed to go in Newtown Bucks county PA but last minute NJ lured 3 miles away). That facility is another that had it swung the couple of thousand of employees that swing MSA connections could have actually created the CSA connection of NYC and Philly via Mercer (would have retained MSA with Philly and CSA to NYC, instead it created 3 MSAs on a border with people that flow in every direction. That facility actually has a fair number of daily commuters from 4 seperate MSAs all make the commute in inder an hour and commuters from 3 seperate MSAs (Mercer, NYC either Somerset or Hunterdon, and Bucks and Burlington in the Philly MSA) can all get to the facility in under 20 minutes. These are examples where these lines just seem silly

Hey kidphilly, this has nothing to do with this thread but I was wondering what are some of the development blogs for Philly? Im sure you have heard of DC MUD or Greater Greater Washington while you lived in the DC area. What is Philly's equivalent? You know I like following development so I was wondering what sites I can follow for the Philly area.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,844 times
I readjusted all their GDP's to see what they would be if they were all the population of Los Angeles with their constants. Los Angeles Metro 17,877,006 for benchmark.

Bay Area: $1.30 trillion
Washington: $1.21 trillion
Houston: $1.13 trillion
Seattle: $1.08 trillion
Boston: $1.01 trillion
Dallas: $1.00 trillion
Phildelphia: $1.00 trillion
Chicago: $944.89 billion
Atlanta: $887.01 billion
Los Angeles: $881.30 billion
Miami: $827.44 billion
Phoenix: $812.65 billion
Detroit: $792.24 billion

Interesting almost a 3 way tie between Boston, Dallas, and Philadelphia.

Last edited by mach5; 09-13-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,222,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
It's all just a marketing trick? That's your explanation for CSAs? So the "Bay Area" for example is nonexistent, and is just a conspiracy to look better on GDP lists? We are not actually a metro area? LOL

The Bay Area is a conglomeration of 6 seperate metroes. It is not 1 metropolitan region going by the true definition of what a Metropolitan area was supposed to entail. Someone had the bright idea to slap a snazzy moniker on the overall region. Wahlah 20- 30 years later it is #4 on a fabricated ranking list.

The correct measure of a metropolitan area is the direct organic growth that evolved around a single core city.

SF/Oak/Fremont is a metro area whose growth was organic and dependent upon each other and its #8- #9 in the national rankings.

SJ/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara developed as a completely independent metro after WW2. Its what #17-#18 on the list?

Santa Rosa had its own distinct life cycle.

Ditto Napa.

So Technically yes the 6 different seperate metro areas combining as 1 is a marketing gimmick.

Similarly Baltimore and Washington are 2 distinct metroes that grew autonomously. Strength in numbers, lets move it up the list.

The most agregious might be that Boston /Providence/Manchester juxtaposition. As those towns were independently incorporated and developed over 200 years ago. Lets combine em all for the sake of appearing nationally important.

Cheap Trick.

Last edited by rainrock; 09-13-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,880,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Hey kidphilly, this has nothing to do with this thread but I was wondering what are some of the development blogs for Philly? Im sure you have heard of DC MUD or Greater Greater Washington while you lived in the DC area. What is Philly's equivalent? You know I like following development so I was wondering what sites I can follow for the Philly area.
Philadelphia doesn't have anything (that I know of) on the level of GGW but try this one: Crossing the Lines

Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,778,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Philadelphia doesn't have anything (that I know of) on the level of GGW but try this one: Crossing the Lines
Thanks, I will try it.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Contrary to the original post, this report is not by CSA. I just looked at the data set excel and all the MSA's that I checked were still separated from their CSA.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I agree that eventually Seattle will surpass Miami but I also took a recent look at the thread you created last year only to find that Seattle was much closer to Miami's size then as opposed to now.

11. Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area $252.647 Billion

12. Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA CSA $251.636 Billion

Bremerton-Silverdale, WA Metro Area $8,809
Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA Metro Area 5,219
Oak Harbor, WA Micro Area
Olympia, WA Metro Area $8,811
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA Metro Area $228,797

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-product.html
Miami can't annex anything but alligators in the Everglades. Clearly it will be surpased by every sprawling CSAs near its economic size. In the end, honey badger don't care. It will be 80 degrees in December and we can actually go in our ocean water without losing a testicle to frost bite.
Enjoy the upcoming Winter everyone.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 09-13-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City