Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,526,303 times

Advertisements

Glad to see much of the rust belt picking up gdp output. Proud of my home town of Pittsburgh for its transformation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually Montclair, you are futile.
Actually in this thread, we have finally put to bed the speculation that that Mercer County was taken away from Philadephia unfairly. In reality, Mercer County sends well over 15% of its commuters to New York hence its rightful combining with the Big Apple.

That alone, is cause to celebrate.

Quote:
Nice picks on counties.
I simply picked the counties you drive through when traveling between New York City and the city of Philadelphia, which is the logical thing to do.

It is you that totally blows out of proportion and exaggerates the number of people who live 'in between' these 2 cities.

7.5 Million people? Hardly.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I simply picked the counties you drive through when traveling between New York City and the city of Philadelphia, which is the logical thing to do.

It is you that totally blows out of proportion and exaggerates the number of people who live 'in between' these 2 cities.

How is that the logical thing to do? I would interpret what KidPhilly said as the counties of the NYC and Philadelphia MSA which lie to the Southwest of NYC and Northeast of Philadelphia...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Actually in this thread, we have finally put to bed the speculation that that Mercer County was taken away from Philadephia unfairly. In reality, Mercer County sends well over 15% of its commuters to New York hence its rightful combining with the Big Apple.

That alone, is cause to celebrate.

Well then you missed quite a few (Camden, Burlington, Monmoth, Bergen, Somerset) on the driving then didnt you, even if by driving and at least 3 million more if this were your methodology

And so does Mercer qualify with Philly, wasnt that always the point, furthermore I think a lot of the discussion is also on how commuter rates many times do not tell the story of interconnectivity (I also proved that the Philly MSA has more interconnectivity) but actually is all mute, with the data discussed yesterday Mercer will qualify as a MSA county with NYC and Philly will attach to the NY CSA via Burlington county NJ - what does that mean, really nothing as we are talking about lines and places a few miles apart and end of the day the region is what it is

And on rightfully part of the big apple. Glad the stats will show, the people there may feel differently that actually live there, should they lower their Phillies and Eagles flags and put up Yankees and Giants ones?

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-15-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How is that the logical thing to do? I would interpret what KidPhilly said as the counties of the NYC and Philadelphia MSA which lie to the Southwest of NYC and Northeast of Philadelphia...
That's your interpretation and I respect that, but I disagree.

We do not drive through every county in New Jersey when traveling between New York and Philadelphia, in fact apart from a relatively tiny number of people who commute to Mercer County from the Philadelphia Area, the connection via jobs amont to grains of sand.

Furthermore, this insistence that NY and Philadelphia are in reality, a vastly intermingled, unoffically but actually unified, intermingled, interdependent region is a flat out inaccuracy.

That's just not true.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

We do not drive through every county in New Jersey when traveling between New York and Philadelphia, in fact apart from a relatively tiny number of people who commute to Mercer County from the Philadelphia Area, the connection via jobs amont to grains of sand.

Furthermore, this insistence that NY and Philadelphia are in reality, a vastly intermingled, unoffically but actually unified, intermingled, interdependent region is a flat out inaccuracy.

That's just not true.

WTF. I am talking about the space in between. Those counties I highlighted are in the space between and are huge job centers, you miss the point honestly

Grains of sand? the 95K that comingle with Mercer everyday represent 35% of the total workforce either in or residng in Mercer alone.

Ok believe that there is some great wall that seperates the millions of people here. Also more people cross the NYC/Philly MSA borders for work everyday than do in Balt/DC in absolute numbers (not %'s).

And Montclair in Alameda and Costra - how many of these 2.5 million really live along the driving path from SF to Sac?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well then you missed quite a few (Camden, Burlington, Monmoth, Bergen, Somerset) on the driving then didnt you even if by driving and at least 3 million if this were your methodology.
Pick a route and tell me how you get 7.5 Million people?

Here are the counties between Philadelphia City and New York City along the 95 freeway:
2010 Census:
Hudson, NJ 634,266
Essex, NJ 783,969
Union, NJ 536,499
Middlesex, NJ 809,858
Mercer, NJ 366,513
Burlington, NJ 448,734
Camden, NJ 513,657
Total: 4,093,496

Still, doesnt really overwhelm this...

Counties in between Sacramento City and San Francisco City on the 80 freeway:
2010 Census

Alameda, CA 1,510,271
Contra Costa, CA 1,049,025
Solano, CA 413,344
Yolo, CA 200,849
Total: 3,173,489

Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:

That's just not true.
The 2 areas may not be as intermingled as the Bay Area but their is still a descent level of that between the Philly and New York area. There are grey areas that are have towns with both New York and Philadelphia commuters. The regions aren't as isolated as you think they are.

As for Mercer County, Yes there are more commuters going to New York MSA but to the contrary there are more Philly MSA commuters to Mercer County than there are New York MSA commuters to Mercer County.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 13,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How is Montgomery County, Pennsylvania 'on the way' to NYC from Philly?

I'm a native New Yorker and dream of one day returning home to NYC, the less NYC has anything to do with Philly the better.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach5 View Post
How is Montgomery County, Pennsylvania 'on the way' to NYC from Philly?

I'm a native New Yorker and dream of one day returning home to NYC, the less NYC has anything to do with Philly the better.

I agree Montco was a stretch, read back, I noted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City