Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 8,620 times

Advertisements

My husband will be getting out of the Army in a year and we will have our choice to relocate wherever we would like. Based on the economy and relative affordability, I've narrowed it down to two cities.

I've read several of the other Dallas-specific, Philly-specific and Dallas vs Philly threads, but still can't seem to decide.

I figured that I will get more of a straight answer if I ask specific questions/ voice my concerns.

What I'm looking for in our new location/ home:

**Yard - I have a dog so this is a must
**Safe area
**Nearby Parks - I love to run and bike so I would like to be within a close distance to at least one park
**Affordable housing

The dilemma is... Friends and family are close to Philly (NYC, Philly, Boston), but I feel that Dallas fits my wants/ needs better. My concerns about Philly are:

1. Safety - I keep reading articles and threads about the crime in various neighborhoods in the area of Philadelphia. Will I be able to live in a place and feel safe? I'm just afraid that Philly will be too reminiscent of NYC/ Northern NJ (where my husband's family is) which I do not feel safe in.

2. Affordability - This is linked with safety. Obviously the more I can afford, the nicer the area I can live in. We'll be starting out with a budget of really no more than 800-1000 for an apartment.

I've never been to either city, but I feel that even after I have visited the city, I can't possibly know the ins and outs of the area like residents would.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Ive never been to Dallas nor do I desire to visit there. There are a lot of misconceptions about Philly, so I wouldnt believe most of what you here, especially if you live far away. Also, you dont have to live in Philadelphia. Many other Philly posters will suggest areas in the city for you to live, so ill suggest some suburban areas. Granted 800-1000 wont get you that much selection in the suburbs, but the suburbs around Philadelphia for the most part are very safe areas with great schools if that is a concern. You mention you like parks, so as always ill suggest the Media, swarthmore, aston, springfield areas. there is the Tyler Arboretum and the Ridley Creek State Park nearby, huge parks with tons of paved and non paved trails. Theres also the Phoenixville area which is near Valley Forge Park.

There is such a wide range of suburbs, I dont know if your into trendy yuppy stuff, or a quite community, or an urban environment, if you could post a little more info Id be able to help you out some more for the Philly area.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
First and foremost finding a job is key for either location. Based on that specific recommendations on where to live could be provided.

Also while to live in a "safe" area with greater desireability the 800-1,000 may be tougher in Philly though depending on the job you may make a little more in Philly to offset a higher COL.

I think it is hard to give advice on where to live without better understanding the jobs available and more specifically where they may be located.

Also to the earlier posters point; while th city Philadelphia and even some burbs have crime issues. By and large the area has low crime or "unsafe" areas so-to-speak.

Best of luck to you on your decision

Last edited by kidphilly; 01-05-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City