Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Princeton University is:
a New York area university. 41 19.07%
a Philadelphia area university. 44 20.47%
neither 130 60.47%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 03:23 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
The fabled Central jersey . Yeah, i've been several times, never felt it favored one city entirely... Princeton does it's own thing
Yeah its a unique school for what it serves lol. But we do a lot of work in Trenton. Philadelphia too. Its a hard question to answer.

Lets label it as CNJ and North of Philly.

Surprisingly, Allentown is brought up a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 04:43 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree. It is also crazy how a 20 minute drive to the Brunswicks are a completely different world than Princeton…
In that regard, Princeton — which I refer to as "terminally charming" — is like no other place in New Jersey. It looks and feels as though a piece of the Hamptons had been surgically removed from Long Island and plopped down in the middle of Central New Jersey.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In that regard, Princeton — which I refer to as "terminally charming" — is like no other place in New Jersey. It looks and feels as though a piece of the Hamptons had been surgically removed from Long Island and plopped down in the middle of Central New Jersey.
Good insight. I might get a lot of hate.. but I even see a bit of Oxford in Princeton. A little bit of Greenwich CT too. Its very nice. I think Princeton is also the prettiest Ivy and Ivy town, with the best campus. (I like it better than Cornell...)

Old 08-15-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Good insight. I might get a lot of hate.. but I even see a bit of Oxford in Princeton. A little bit of Greenwich CT too. Its very nice. I think Princeton is also the prettiest Ivy and Ivy town, with the best campus. (I like it better than Cornell...)
The two Ivies in more rural territory (Cornell and Dartmouth) are the only two whose campuses I've never seen. I think I agree with you about the relative beauty of Princeton's campus compared to the other Ivies, but I will admit that I'm actually fond of the urban campuses that also try to replicate the college-green feel, in order: Harvard, Yale, Penn, Brown. (Columbia's campus is a bit too urban to fit into this box.)

I thought I'd add another data point for the Princeton-is-where-it-is-because-it's-exactly-halfway-between-New-York-and-Philly data set:

I know a woman here who runs a branding and marketing firm headquartered in the Callowhill Loft District that works with urban businesses and food producers. (We're friends and fans of each other.)

She's a lifelong Philadelphian who recently married a chef/restaurateur whose business is located in New York, where she lived briefly while setting up her company's New York office and met while she lived there. She was looking for a more rural location where she could grow food and flowers and raise farm animals, and he was looking for a place a little closer to New York than Fishtown.

They bought a 1739 farmstead right on the Hopewell Township side of the Hopewell-Princeton line.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:17 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
I've always considered Mercer County to be North Jersey and, therefore, the NY area. So Princeton is a NY-area school to me.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:35 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I've always considered Mercer County to be North Jersey and, therefore, the NY area. So Princeton is a NY-area school to me.
Mercer County has never been North Jersey by any definition. It's Central or South depending on one's perspective based on many factors.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Mercer County has never been North Jersey by any definition. It's Central or South depending on one's perspective based on many factors.
Yeah, Ive gotten people telling me Union County is NNJ (??)

Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
"Central" NJ is just North Jersey to me, and I think most people from South Jersey would agree with me.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
"Central" NJ is just North Jersey to me, and I think most people from South Jersey would agree with me.
The daily paper that used to be published in New Brunswick was the Home News of Central New Jersey. Maybe a small data point, especially as the paper bit the dust in the 1970s, but non-trivial IMO.

Still, anyone who divides New Jersey into two parts rather than three puts Mercer County in the south, not the north — including Ma Bell, which placed it in area code 609 rather than 201. And the way the North American Numbering Plan (I think that's what it's called post-AT&T dismemberment) divided the area code, it remains in the south (area code 856 was assigned to the parts of South Jersey closest to Philadelphia while Trenton and the Shore kept 609).

The colonial-era dividing line between the colonies of East Jersey (North Jersey today) and West Jersey (South Jersey today) is today's Burlington-Ocean county line. Continue that line on its course towards the Delaware and it splits Mercer County neatly in two, with Trenton falling on the West Jersey side of the line and Princeton just barely on the East Jersey side of it (or maybe the line splits Princeton too).

Old 08-15-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Ive gotten people telling me Union County is NNJ (??)
Union County (seat: Elizabeth) is in North Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City