Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Center City 162 68.94%
Downtown Los Angeles 73 31.06%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
My point is that the eastern half of DTLA is a dump, which is pretty relevant to the discussion of DTLA, or are you confused about what this thread is even about?
Forgive me for being short, but this was the second time you referenced this area with blithe disregard for those living there and without identifying any viable solution. If our city is ever going deal with this in any meaningful way, it needs more than a superficial understanding of what Skid Row is. There are 17,000 people living there. Many of them are houseless, while many more are addicts or mentally ill, but otherwise housed. Skid Row has existed as this repository of sorts for over a century, and its continued existence is the consequence of problems at the regional and national levels.

Unless you offer a viable plan for the forcible re-location of all these people (I’m all ears), I humbly request you refrain from referring to where these people are struggling to survive as “poison”, or implying wholesale bulldozing is an appropriate option. Housing in Southern California is notoriously expensive, and its not like Brentwood is clamoring to build affordable public housing. Asylums disappeared with Governor Reagan’s mind, and the instant any political leader seeks to restore any semblance of mental health services at the state level, people scream we can’t afford it.

Where do they go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I get what you’re saying, it just depends what’s already there I suppose.
Well, let's see. On this street we have....

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+a...188.21,,0,-0.1

Wheel+ Wholesale & Retail
D'Santos Packing
Hi-Tek 26, Inc.
Top Tek Plus, Inc.
La Raza Electronics
Zenesis Z6 Corp.
U.S. Car Stereo & Lighting Accessories
A parking lot
MB Distributors

As well as a conspicuous absense of housing. Maybe these places are raking in the dough big time, but I'd imagine that a Zara or Urban Outfitters would make a lot more per square foot. And then condos on top of these businesses would bring in property tax revenues that otherwise would not exist. The property values would also increase, which would bring in more revenue. Even if property taxes are capped, 1.3% on a $40 million assessment is obviously bringing in a lot more than 1.2% on a $10 million assessment.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

D'Santos Packing
Hi-Tek 26, Inc.
Top Tek Plus, Inc.
La Raza Electronics
Zenesis Z6 Corp.
A parking lot
MB Distributors

As well as a conspicuous absense of housing. Maybe these places are raking in the dough big time, but I'd imagine that a Zara or Urban Outfitters would make a lot more per square foot. And then condos on top of these businesses would bring in property tax revenues that otherwise would not exist. The property values would also increase, which would bring in more revenue. Even if property taxes are capped, 1.3% on a $40 million assessment is obviously bringing in a lot more than 1.2% on a $10 million assessment.

This area is the fashion district which has a main focus of wholesale vending. Many of the inconspicuous vendors around this neighborhood, especially 1 street over on 12th st. make quite a bit of money - I'm sure some sell clothing to Urban Outfitters and Zara

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
This area is the fashion district which has a main focus of wholesale vending. Many of the inconspicuous vendors around this neighborhood, especially 1 street over on 12th st. make quite a bit of money - I'm sure some sell clothing to Urban Outfitters and Zara
Okaaay...still doesn't seem like it would be the most efficient use of the land over the long run (even with a cap on property taxes).

Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM

546 posts, read 817,583 times
Quote:

D'Santos Packing
Hi-Tek 26, Inc.
Top Tek Plus, Inc.
La Raza Electronics
Zenesis Z6 Corp.
A parking lot
MB Distributors

A couple of comments. I have a good friend who works in commercial real estate in downtown LA.

There is an Urban Outfitters opening in downtown LA on Broadway/8th in December 2013. A Zara is also opening in the Financial District at Fig/7th in 2014.

The per square foot rents in the prime parts of the Fashion District are HIGHER per square foot than many/most parts of downtown LA. The valuations on the prime fashion district properties are typically through the roof. Granted..these are not high-rises but typically range from 2 to 10 stories.

The rental rate that Urban Outfitters will pay on Broadway will be far less per square foot than many of the wholesale businesses pay in the Fashion District. The economic model of the fashion district is entirely different (wholesale/show room oriented) than the rest of downtown or traditional retail areas. This is what makes it unique and interesting.

As has been stated previously, downtown LA has been a "retail" laughing stock for the last 30 plus years. It is just now starting to catch up to other prime urban locations in the region (Santa Monica, etc). So I hear what you are saying about the Fashion District but any major redevelopment of that area is a long way off. Still plenty of filling in of prime retail in other parts of downtown before the Fashion District sees major changes/redevelopment.

http://brighamyen.com/

Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,393 times
DTLA has many important wholesale and manufacturing areas that should not be redeveloped into full scale retail zones. If anything, more residential/dining/grocery can be added

Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:

D'Santos Packing
Hi-Tek 26, Inc.
Top Tek Plus, Inc.
La Raza Electronics
Zenesis Z6 Corp.
A parking lot
MB Distributors

You forgot about all the costs infrastructure improvements and additional services increase residential brings. I really would suggest you read up about Prop 13 instead of continuing to push this notion that housing is a good revenue stream for cities.

And for the forth or fifth time, I'm very aware retail would be a good money maker for a city and was never arguing against that. It was housing and OFFICES I was talking about.

And of course this whole scenario avoids the most important question about actual demand for this type of development. I'm actually kind of surprised you actually care and are so adamant about this to do some amateur analysis like this lol. Did you buy property in the area?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Okaaay...still doesn't seem like it would be the most efficient use of the land over the long run (even with a cap on property taxes).
A car dealership probably would be.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You forgot about all the costs infrastructure improvements and additional services increase residential brings. I really would suggest you read up about Prop 13 instead of continuing to push this notion that housing is a good revenue stream for cities.
In that specific post, I was really more focused on the revenues that would be generated by Zara/H&M/high end restaurants, etc. compared to a parking lot, rim shop and a stereo and lighting accessories shop. The additional property taxes would just be icing on top of the cake.

Quote:
And for the forth or fifth time, I'm very aware retail would be a good money maker for a city and was never arguing against that. It was housing and OFFICES I was talking about.
I was responding directly to this.

Quote:
I get what you’re saying, it just depends what’s already there I suppose.
I just selected a random street to see "what's already there." It's apparent we're talking about the retail there, right? I'm not sure why you keep coming back to property taxes when the issue we were addressing was whether new businesses would be better revenue generators than the existing businesses.

Quote:
And of course this whole scenario avoids the most important question about actual demand for this type of development. I'm actually kind of surprised you actually care and are so adamant about this to do some amateur analysis like this lol. Did you buy property in the area?
Did you not read this post?

Quote:
I'm not saying that the area is ripe for development. If the demand were there, then I imagine the area would have been developed by now, or would at least be in the development stage. I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense to have warehouses sitting on valuable land (when the demand finally comes) just so you can have economic diversity.
Before you say something hasn't been addressed, perhaps you should check and see if it's actually been addressed already.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
A car dealership probably would be.
And that may very well be true, but I didn't see many car dealerships in DTLA. You said "it just depends on what's already there" and then I provided a sample of "what's already there." I'm not engaging in the hypothetical here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City