Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does density make a city?
Yes! 55 50.93%
No! 31 28.70%
It depends on the city we're talking about.. 22 20.37%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
There is nothing wrong with that. Many natives in the burbs only go into the city around 4 times a year for special occasions such as xmas shopping, broadway show, pro sports game, family visiting, etc.

Explore BK and Queens more b/c they might be more your pace.
I have yet to explore Brooklyn, but I definently will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I think density is one of the key elements that make a city walkable and appealing. This is true of the top cities in America.

However, density is definitely not the only thing that matters. For example, there are very dense cities in some 3rd world countries which I would not want to live in.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:14 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I have yet to explore Brooklyn, but I definently will!
Soon! We're on the same island for god sakes. Lol

I think density is a key component but it's not everything.

A city is a city, nonetheless. But there's a difference between a normal city (a large town) and an urban city (NYC, Tokyo, Paris, London, etc)

Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
No. Anyone who think that is delusional.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 PM

102 posts, read 155,558 times
Yes.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Depends on the city.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Dont feel like there is the right option. Density is important but coupled with other things. My preferred type of city has density with other aspects. But this isnt required as an average more the cohesion, vibrancy, urbanity, and connectivity they create in tandem.

So to me it is not a true yes but a factor, plus there is no magic density number as this depends on the construct and environement.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
By itself, population density isn't a wonderful measure. It tells you nothing about how those people are spread among that area. For example, say you have 5,000 people living within a square mile. Sounds moderately dense, correct?

Well, what if you have a 30 story tower with a footprint of 150x 150 feet set in the middle of a dense forest? Is that a "dense" square mile? No. You have a sparsely populated (rural) square mile plot of land with 5,000 people in a single building with a small footprint. Yet you still have 5,000 people per square mile.

Next, you have that same square mile and 5,000 people living in it; but instead of everyone living in a single tower, everyone is spread among detached, single family homes with private yards, set along feeder roads leading to a primary road. Here, you have suburban layout with the exact same population density. Still 5,000 people per square mile.

Finally, you have the same square mile and the same 5,000 people. Now, the people live in 2-3 story wall-to-wall buildings along streets that run into a primary commercial avenue where you have shops, offices, etc. Also, since the people live in a more compact style than the suburban types above, there are intermittent parks, a central public plaza or market, and civic buildings (schools, post office, government offices, etc) to fill out the rest of that particular square mile. These people live in a decidedly urban area. Yet again, it's 5,000 people per square mile.

So yes, obviously density plays a role in what defines a "city" (I mean, realistically, how many rural areas have you seen with a 30-story 5,000 person apartment tower), but not NEARLY as big a role as how that population density is represented in the built environment's layout.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
BTW, since the OP didn't state whether "density" refers to population or structural, I assumed it meant both.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Interesting. So does this mean cities like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, Denver, aren't examples of how a city should be? (in your opinion)
Seattle is an odd one - it has an urban core and pockets of urbanity across the city, as well as large swaths of areas that are clearly not urban. It's certainly not on the level of SF or Chicago, but it feels more like a city to me than Denver or Houston - a big reason why is that there are plenty of walkable neighborhoods throughout the city, even if many of them don't feel too urban and are not walkable between each other - they are definitely walkable within. Many neighborhoods in Seattle are centered around a walkable core or strip. Walkability is a factor too, and doesn't always correlate directly with density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City