Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

Cool, although purple is the Vikings color and has been for decades before Baltimore borrowed it. Purple is synonymous with Minnesota before Baltimore, in my biased opinion (but also most peoples' opinion). I really wish Baltimore didn't take purple as their color.....stick to black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:18 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Living in Maryland, I've learned that it's a BMore Ravens fan thing to "Bark"
Strange, but hey, whatever. I can dig it.

I live (6 months of the year) in DC, and I know and see this DeadSkins nation... Yeah, yeah... Just kidding, I have nothing against the Skins. I feel sorry for their fans most of the time, because it seems everytime they get lifted up, they get let down big time. But, I'm still trying to figure out what things (aspects) of being a Skins fan is a "SKINS FAN THING"

I guess that's what I mean by culture...

I hear the Ravens fans barking. I see them wear their black & purple. Seems like you know a Ravens fan around MD because they like all black stuff. I have a Ravens fan friend who told me it's a Ravens thing to buy a black dog. I went to 1 tailgate party and we ate Maryland Crabs & schucked Oysters for hours! It was AWESOME!!!

By the way, I've been asking people about the Ravens fans barking lately, and it seems a LOT of Ravens fans don't even realize it's a Ravens thing. Then there are some that seem to act like they knew (probably cause they don't want to seem like a sorry fan), but they will say it's because of Ray Lewis (apparently he barks).
But recently (and actually what sparked up the thought for this thread) was someone told me that Ravens fans are supposed to bark because it's their way of paying respect to Cleveland. Even though the Ravens & Browns are rivals, the city of Baltimore knows what it feels like to have a beloved team pack up and disappear overnight (with the Colts) so when Baltimore got the Browns from Cleveland, they can sympathize. They adopted the Dog Pound tradition of Barking and buying dogs to carry on the tradition. So even though Cleveland got their Browns team back, they still pay homage (like an unspoken/beneath the rivalry brotherhood) to Cleveland by barking... I thought that was VERY interesting and cool. That to me has all the markings of a good fan culture...

So, maybe I'm wrong about Ravens being over Skins, BUT I'm still looking for a "Skins thing" to match that in my opinion. Please help me out if you know. The wearing the pig noses just isn't enough.
As a Browns fan, I must say that may be one of the coolest things I've ever heard. As much as I hate the Ravens, I really respect that if that is the reason that they bark, which I didn't even know they did. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Living in Maryland, I've learned that it's a BMore Ravens fan thing to "Bark"
Strange, but hey, whatever. I can dig it.

I live (6 months of the year) in DC, and I know and see this DeadSkins nation... Yeah, yeah... Just kidding, I have nothing against the Skins. I feel sorry for their fans most of the time, because it seems everytime they get lifted up, they get let down big time. But, I'm still trying to figure out what things (aspects) of being a Skins fan is a "SKINS FAN THING"

I guess that's what I mean by culture...

I hear the Ravens fans barking. I see them wear their black & purple. Seems like you know a Ravens fan around MD because they like all black stuff. I have a Ravens fan friend who told me it's a Ravens thing to buy a black dog. I went to 1 tailgate party and we ate Maryland Crabs & schucked Oysters for hours! It was AWESOME!!!

By the way, I've been asking people about the Ravens fans barking lately, and it seems a LOT of Ravens fans don't even realize it's a Ravens thing. Then there are some that seem to act like they knew (probably cause they don't want to seem like a sorry fan), but they will say it's because of Ray Lewis (apparently he barks).
But recently (and actually what sparked up the thought for this thread) was someone told me that Ravens fans are supposed to bark because it's their way of paying respect to Cleveland. Even though the Ravens & Browns are rivals, the city of Baltimore knows what it feels like to have a beloved team pack up and disappear overnight (with the Colts) so when Baltimore got the Browns from Cleveland, they can sympathize. They adopted the Dog Pound tradition of Barking and buying dogs to carry on the tradition. So even though Cleveland got their Browns team back, they still pay homage (like an unspoken/beneath the rivalry brotherhood) to Cleveland by barking... I thought that was VERY interesting and cool. That to me has all the markings of a good fan culture...

So, maybe I'm wrong about Ravens being over Skins, BUT I'm still looking for a "Skins thing" to match that in my opinion. Please help me out if you know. The wearing the pig noses just isn't enough.
I don't know how true that is but it is beautiful. I have a much greater respect for Baltimore fans now. Pittsburgh fans are so disrespectful so reading what you wrote gives me hope again for NFL fans. That might be the single most act of American values in professional sports as there is. Whats even cooler is it is out of respect for Cleveland who once had the most dominant dynasty in professional football. My point is that it fits perfectly. I hope I get to see Baltimore Ravens fans barking my heart will jump out of my chest.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Philadelphia Eagles Fans - YouTube

Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 AM

Phillies Fans Parade To CitiField 8.22.09 - YouTube

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 AM

Domi fights with a fan. - YouTube

Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Cool, although purple is the Vikings color and has been for decades before Baltimore borrowed it. Purple is synonymous with Minnesota before Baltimore, in my biased opinion (but also most peoples' opinion). I really wish Baltimore didn't take purple as their color.....stick to black.
Even if we did use black light, Black lights are purple anyway..lol. I know minnesota has the whole purple thing going on between the vikings and Prince.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City