Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has more people that identify with southern culture?
VA 48 36.64%
TX 72 54.96%
FL 11 8.40%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times

Advertisements

I'd say Texas identifies with the south the most. Then Virginia, then Florida.

Its interesting because Virginia is pretty southern outside of NOVA, but its a completely different kind of southern than the lower south. Texas' southern ways are much much more aligned with Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and maybe even Mississippi. Whereas Virginia (outside of NOVA) is more of a Kentucky, Tennessee type of southern with a tiny bit of North Carolina semblance. Its certainly nothing like Texas. Although, I think parts of Texas (The Houston/Gulf Coast) region actually resembles Florida a bit. I think Texas has more in common with Florida than with Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,952 times
I`ve been all over the Southeast, and a little into the Northeast. I`d have to say Virginia. (Believe me, I`ve lived here my whole life.) Florida, sadly, has lost alot of it`s Southern-ness. But Texas seems more wrapped up in being "Texas" than "The South". (Which, ironically, is what the South stands for. State`s rights, and sovereignty.) Solytaire, the idea that any part of Virginia excpet for the very Southwestern tip of it is like Kentucky or Tennessee is utterly ridiculous.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,952 times
Solytaire, the idea that any part of VA is similar to Kentucky or Tennessee (Except for the very Southwestern tip) is utter nonsense.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

Its interesting because Virginia is pretty southern outside of NOVA, but its a completely different kind of southern than the lower south. Texas' southern ways are much much more aligned with Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and maybe even Mississippi. Whereas Virginia (outside of NOVA) is more of a Kentucky, Tennessee type of southern with a tiny bit of North Carolina semblance. Its certainly nothing like Texas. Although, I think parts of Texas (The Houston/Gulf Coast) region actually resembles Florida a bit. I think Texas has more in common with Florida than with Virginia.
But the parts of Texas that aren't Southern, have absolutely no connections with the South outside of just being in Texas. The trans-pecos is way more far removed from the South than NOVA. Honestly, VA doesn't seem anymore different than the rest of South anymore than Central Texas and South Texas does. I just don't see VA's distinctiveness from the South.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree. Not only does Virginia have a lot in common with Kentucky and Tennessee. It has a lot in common with not only North Carolina, but South Carolina. I would say East Texas is like Louisiana and Arkansas and Mississippin North Texasoutside DFW is like Oklahoma. But Central Texas has little in common with its neighbor states and gets even less as go into West Texas or South Texas

Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. Not only does Virginia have a lot in common with Kentucky and Tennessee. It has a lot in common with not only North Carolina, but South Carolina. I would say East Texas is like Louisiana and Arkansas and Mississippin North Texasoutside DFW is like Oklahoma. But Central Texas has little in common with its neighbor states and gets even less as go into West Texas or South Texas
I keep seeing you say this. And not that I doubt it, but could you expound on what commonalities Virginia and South Carolina share?

And I would disagree with the notion that Central Texas has little in common with its neighbor states. At one point I thought that too. But once you get into the smaller towns of Central Texas, they have quite a lot in common with parts further east, particularly parts of the lower south. Some of those small Central Texas towns remind me of East Texas. Now I dont dare say that West Texas is mistakable for anywhere in the Southeast, but I dont think its completely unsouthern either.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:

The only part of FL that the Texas gulf coast might even approach resembling would be some areas in the Big Bend area of FL.
And even then, not so much.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,087 times
I wonder if the ppl commenting on VA being the most southern out of the three have real experience in the state or only passed through or something. Have u been in Florida outside of MIA and even there the locals are very southern ever met an african american in Florida??

Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
every west & midwestern state, and 3/4 of the southern states

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
I keep seeing you say this. And not that I doubt it, but could you expound on what commonalities Virginia and South Carolina share?

And I would disagree with the notion that Central Texas has little in common with its neighbor states. At one point I thought that too. But once you get into the smaller towns of Central Texas, they have quite a lot in common with parts further east, particularly parts of the lower south. Some of those small Central Texas towns remind me of East Texas. Now I dont dare say that West Texas is mistakable for anywhere in the Southeast, but I dont think its completely unsouthern either.
I don't know that many towns in Central Texas that remind me of East Texas or the neighboring Southern states. Maybe Elgin, but that's all I can think of. Central Texas, Austin and the surrounding communities have a distinct feeling from the rest of the South. To me at least. When I lived n Austin, I thought I lived in the South, until I moved to NC, NOW looking back at Austin and the surrounding cities, Austin and the rest of Central Texas(even small towns like Liberty Hill) feel very different from the rest of the Southern US. And as far as West Texas, places like Odessa may not feel COMPLETELY un-Southern, but the Trans-Pecos region at least feels EXTREMELY different from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City