Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:43 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Mmmm, the other 52% are other people...? That means that there are about two million non-hispanic people in the city of Los Angeles; that's not counting the rest of LA County...

It's not like we're a town of 500 people, kid. I know it boggles your mind and it's impossible for you to wrap your head around it... but it's the truth.
No Keeping up with the Kardashians gives you a realistic veiw of LA's Ethnic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:31 PM

100 posts, read 145,327 times
Quote:
Yes. Use a movie as an example, because we all know that movies an TV are accurate representations of real life...

Didn't you used to love using South Park as an example of how smug SF is?

Well, often fiction is based on reality. In the case of Crash, it has shown the world what an apocalyptic racist wasteland Los Angeles really is.

How often do people of different races REALLY hang out with each other?

Every Californian I've ever talked to agrees with me: California isn't known for Middle Eastern people.

Quote:

You "didn't see many Arabs in headscarves?" Even if you had been here, that's a really, really lame way of quantifying how many Middle Easterners there are in LA. If you didn't see enough Arab or Persian women, maybe you should hit a club on Hollywood Boulevard next time, or look in the Range Rover sitting next to you on Wilshire. Hint: don't go looking for headscarves...
How do I know they aren't really Mexican without their headscarves? It's pretty easy to confuse Hispanics and Arabs.....LA is known for Mexicans. That is all. Why is that so hard to accept?

Quote:
Well, you're the one who brought the Muslim aspect into the equation. You want to invalidate Armenians and Syrian Christians as being Middle Eastern because of their religion, then it goes both ways. And yes, for the most part, an American is going to look at a Moroccan and think "Arab," even though they are African... due in part to the fact that the Arabs conquered North Africa and the people of North Africa are largely of partial Arab descent.
You're the reason why people think Americans are stupid and fail geography. Morocco is in AFRICA, North AFRICA is in AFRICA, how is that the Middle East? I don't care what the average American thinks...it's what is in the real world.

Quote:
They're still Middle Eastern, but since, again, you pick and choose who "counts" as a culture due to what you care about, so, why even bother?
No they aren't. Kim Kardashian is NOT a Middle Easterner, so stop saying that Armenians are Middle Eastern. They have nothing in COMMON with the Middle East. They were part of the Soviet Union, so therefore, they are like Russia. Is Russia now the Middle East, or did I fail geography again?

Quote:
It's not really... again, you're invalidating these peoples' origins and why they came to the US and became part of the social fabric here. You can poo-poo it and disregard it all you want, but it's the truth.
What does that have to do with Middle Easterners in the United States? That's the real question...

Quote:
Is it hard to understand that you just said what he said?
Christianity for all intents and purposes is now a European religion, just like Islam is a Middle Eastern one. What does Christianity have to do with the Middle East, besides savage terrorists over there slaughtering Christians en masse and not allowing them to build churches?

Quote:
Yes. Generally pretty easily. You can't? I'm not surprised somehow, but, it boggles my mind that people can't tell the difference between a Pakistani, Arab, an Persian. They all look quite different and are from totally different genetic haplotypes. Pakistanis look like Indians... Indians and Pakistanis don't look anything like Arabs or Persians...
Umm, Pakistan and India are TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. What do they have to do with each other?

And to the average person in the whole world, the average Pakistani looks like an Arab. Like it or not, that's the real world.

Quote:
HAHAHA

List of modern conflicts in the Middle East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess you know nothing about the Shia, Sunni, Wahabbists, Aga Khan, religious/national/regional infighting, etc etc etc.
They're all Muslim. That's what counts at the end of the day.

Quote:
With major variations. Put a piece of Arabic in front of most Pakistanis, an it'll look like (modern) Greek does to an American.
Funny, I know plenty of Pakistanis who can read Arabic quite fluently. How are they less Middle Eastern than an Armenian?

Quote:
Not really. You come an dump all over a region you've never been to and make these ridiculous statements, and then when people push back and point out how flawed your arguments are, you get butthurt.
You're the one who responded to me...none of you Californians had to. This thread was quite peaceful until then.

Quote:
Boo hoo, want a tissue? We're more diverse than NY/NJ, and everyone knows it, whether they think it's a good thing or a bad thing.

And no, in CA, none of us talk about how diverse it is. It's not like I'm standing there in line (the line is comprised of an Asian, a black, a white, a latino, and a Persian) and we're all talking about how wonderful it is to live here. We're talking about how hot it is for a day in late October Ohhhh yeeeeah.
LOL where does that happen in California? That sounds like New York City way more than CA. And yes, for the past few months on this forum, California's only accolades now are its 'diversity' and 'weather' and 'scenery'....one of which isnt even true because almost everyone in California is Mexican.

Quote:
We don't need to talk about it, because we live it. People like you come along and try to tell us what our reality is, you get put in your place, you get banned, you come back for more. Don't you have anything better to do with your time??
You spent all this time replying to me..so who's wasting time here?

Quote:
You asked for census data, you got it, you don't like the results, so once again you're like "maybe some Hispanics look middle eastern, that doesn't mean they are." Like how before, you said that the only reason that the census says there are more Asians here is because some Asians look Hispanic...? So idiotic.
It's not. It's a valid real world concern. Almost everyone who's visited California notices the illegal Mexicans first, before the millions of Asians and now, 'Middle Easterners'. How can we prove that the numbers are authentic?

Quote:
Glendale, for starters...
Glendale is NOWHERE near Dearborn on this statistic. Glendale is dominated by one group, Armenians (who aren't even Middle Eastern), while Dearborn has Iraqis, Lebanese, Syrians, Egyptians, etc.

Again, where are the numbers? According to the census, Glendale is 16% Asian and 17% Hispanic..how can there be room for all those invisible Middle Eastern people.

Quote:
Again, you asked for numbers, and you got them! Better luck next time
And aside from one poster here, it can't be verified.

Quote:
Mmmm, the other 52% are other people...? That means that there are about two million non-hispanic people in the city of Los Angeles; that's not counting the rest of LA County...

It's not like we're a town of 500 people, kid. I know it boggles your mind and it's impossible for you to wrap your head around it... but it's the truth.
Nah..its just HIspanic with a shrinking Black, White, and Asian population. pretty obvious. There is a reason why the only demographic that grew in California are illegal Mexicans, while White, Black, and Asian people are leaving by the millions.

Last edited by philynyallday; 10-22-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Metro Detroit hands down.

Especially centered in Dearborn. Metro Detroit has the largest population of Lebanese, Iraqis, Yemenis, and Assyrians/Chaldeans.
Exactly. That's why it offends me when all of a sudden, some California posters start throwing out "LA" out. Hell, they are even more visible in Boston and Philadelphia than they are in Los Angeles.

Then the audacity that California is more Middle Eastern than Michigan, New Jersey, and New York? Seriously?

Quote:
BTW: "the post about LA is 48% Mexican, how it can it have room for any ethnic group?" is the stupidest, most ignorant comment I have ever heard on this forum.

LA is one of the most diverse metro areas in the country hands down.

Can a city that is 50% still be diverse??? LA is 50% hispanic, yes that is overwhelmingly Mexican, but includes SUBSTANTIAL Central American populations.

The largest of just about every major Asian ethnic group (except Asian Indian), but in terms of Japanese, Koreans, Phillipinos, LA is tops. AND it has the largest Iranian and Armenian population in the country. The hate towards LA has to stop. Just because you need a car to really get the most out of living or visiting LA, doesn't make it a culturally wasteland.

LA is New York City with better weather and more elbow room.
Disagree here, but off topic. LA is 50% Hispanic, but that isn't counting the illegal ones. Iranians and Armenians could live there, but how do we know they aren't really Hispanic? Again, they sort of look alike.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
almost everyone in California is Mexican.
You have got to be kidding me. Statements like these do you no justice. I don't think anyone from Philly is in any position to be lecturing others on diversity seeing as how its dominantly white/black metro

Old 10-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Statements like these do you no justice. I don't think anyone from Philly should be lecturing anyone else about diversity seeing as how its dominantly white/black metro
Phily has a growing West Indian, African, Hispanic, Asian, and Middle Eastern population, but that's hidden behind the fact that West Indians and Africans are considered 'black' on the census and Middle Easterners are considered 'White'

You ever heard of Milbourne, PA? The first South Asian majority place in the United States. Where in California is it like that?

The reason I STARTED this thread is that behind the "White" population, there is a subset that aren't 'White' in the real world. No one is gonna start telling me that someone like Saddam Hussein or the Ayatollah is white all of a sudden.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:52 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Exactly. That's why it offends me when all of a sudden, some California posters start throwing out "LA" out. Hell, they are even more visible in Boston and Philadelphia than they are in Los Angeles.

Then the audacity that California is more Middle Eastern than Michigan, New Jersey, and New York? Seriously?

Disagree here, but off topic. LA is 50% Hispanic, but that isn't counting the illegal ones. Iranians and Armenians could live there, but how do we know they aren't really Hispanic? Again, they sort of look alike.
HA HA HA!!!! I seriously couldn't stop laughing at that!! I mean that for real. There is no emoticon or texting abbreviation that expresses the hilairousness of this statement.

Either you have a future career in politically incorrect humor, or you just had someone break your heart in LA.

Don't worry, we all do that. If a girl rejects us, we hate the whole place where shes from.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
Quote:

LOL! I'm actually quite surprised how long you lasted this time. This however, is a classic "Pollster" post. You're slipping.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
I was born Jewish to Israeli parents, from the middle east. You're insulting my ancestors by stating the middle east is only Islamic and to act if Christians and Jewish people don't have ancestry there. The middle east is Islamic, Christian, and Jewish just so you know, might want to brush up on your history lessons regarding Jerusalem/Gaza/West Bank/Palestine/Israel/Egypt/Sinai Peninsula. I now practice as an atheist but cherish my heritage, which you are making a mock of with your ignorance

To add insult to injury on your trolling, if I remember correctly LA has the second or third largest Jewish population in the U.S. only behind NY or Miami.

Last edited by Slyman11; 10-22-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No Keeping up with the Kardashians gives you a realistic veiw of LA's Ethnic diversity.
Yeah, here in BH, the only time I see a Middle Easterner is when I go to the liquor store; the only time I see a hispanic person is when they're trimming my lawn; and the only time I see an Asian is when I look in bed next to me... black people? Only on TV! It's a wasteland of racism and homogeny out here on the Western frontier.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Well, often fiction is based on reality. In the case of Crash, it has shown the world what an apocalyptic racist wasteland Los Angeles really is.

How often do people of different races REALLY hang out with each other?

Quote:
How do I know they aren't really Mexican without their headscarves? It's pretty easy to confuse Hispanics and Arabs.....LA is known for Mexicans. That is all. Why is that so hard to accept?
You are obviously the authority on racial acceptance, one-ness, and cooperation.

Quote:
You're the reason why people think Americans are stupid and fail geography.

Quote:
I don't care what the average American thinks...it's what is in the real world.
Yes. I am the reason people think Americans are dumb. I am the "ugly American." People all over the rest of the world respect obstinate insistence that their myopic perceptions are still reality no matter what evidence to the contrary is presented to them... that's what earned America its now-lost respect on the world stage.

Quote:
LOL where does that happen in California?
In cities all over the state, every minute of every day. Seriously. You need to stop using TV and movies as anecdotes for how California "really" is. I'm sure you'd be the first to point out that the Jersey Shore is not an accurate representation of New Jersey...

Quote:
That sounds like New York City way more than CA.
No, it sounds like California... because it is California. You would not know because you have never been here.

Quote:
And yes, for the past few months on this forum, California's only accolades now are its 'diversity' and 'weather' and 'scenery'....one of which isnt even true because almost everyone in California is Mexican.
I'm sittin' pretty high on the hog here. The diversity, weather and scenery are a great backdrop to a pretty successful existence for someone in their 20's.

Quote:
You spent all this time replying to me..so who's wasting time here?
Lazy Saturday, man... besides, it only takes like ten minutes for me to respond to you.

Quote:
It's not. It's a valid real world concern. Almost everyone who's visited California notices the illegal Mexicans first, before the millions of Asians and now, 'Middle Easterners'. How can we prove that the numbers are authentic?
Such statements are why you're the biggest running joke on this forum... according to you, everyone in the state of CA is an illegal Mexican who - for whatever reason - wrote themselves in as something else...? What purpose would that even serve?

Let me guess... I'm a Mexican who deluded himself into thinking he's white.

Quote:
Glendale is NOWHERE near Dearborn on this statistic. Glendale is dominated by one group, Armenians (who aren't even Middle Eastern), while Dearborn has Iraqis, Lebanese, Syrians, Egyptians, etc.
Fine. LA itself has all of the above. Next.

Again, where are the numbers? According to the census, Glendale is 16% Asian and 17% Hispanic..how can there be room for all those invisible Middle Eastern people.[/quote]
LOL, now, if there are large percentages of certain ethnicities... it's impossible for the remaining portion of the population to be anything else. Will the fallacy ever stop??

Quote:
And aside from one poster here, it can't be verified.
And there's one poster here who's never been out here who is schooling people who have been here as well as the United States Census Bureau, based on clips from movies and TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City