Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I was talking about rappers specifically from Oakland;
OH!!! Okay... Sorry.
Then let's also not forget Mistah F.A.B. "Ghostride the whip!!!"

Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Actually, Tech N9ne is from Kansas City. And he's mainstream. He was on the BET Cypha.

Also, Kansas City has a lot of artists.

Stik Figa (NICE)
DBL Rhyme Family
Skanless City

Seattle also had Kid Sensation ("Back to Boom boom/Back to, Back to boom" Remember that?!?! LOL)
Since then, Right now I can only think of Giant Panda. Jake One is from Seattle and he's made beats for many mainstream and underground artists. Actually can't name anyone for you, but he has his own mixed tapes to download.

Yeah, I'd count Atmosphere for Minneapolis. People that pay attention to hip hop know who he is.

Actually, there's only one group that I can think of from Portland, and I can't even remember their names right now. Something like... Lifesavers or something. 3 dudes that try to look like pimps. I'll have to search thru my iTunes to figure that out.

And Baltimore actually has some acts that just don't get any air play.
Mully Man
Bossman
Rye Rye (SUCKS!!!)
And there are more, but I just can't think of any right now. Mullyman is pretty well known though.

True, I forgot about Tech N9ne.

I didn't say that those cities didn't have rappers though, I said that they didn't have well-known artists (though you're right that Tech N9ne is). KCMO obviously has a lot of rappers... Rich The Factor, Fat Tone (RIP), Rappin Twan, etc. The other cities also have rappers but by your OP I thought you meant people that the average Hip Hop listener could name... I doubt too many hip hop listeners could name DBL Rhyme Family or Bossman outside of locals or people like myself who listen to the underground rappers from other cities.

To answer your main question, the main cities with a mainstream presence in Hip Hop culture are:

NYC
Los Angeles
Bay Area
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Detroit
Chicago
New Orleans
Houston
Pittsburg (recent)
Miami (recent)

That's about it. Cities that don't have much of a mainstream presence but have an underground presence are:

Sacramento
Kansas City
Boston
Minneapolis
Cleveland/Akron (Although they did have BT-n-H)

Other than that, there's a couple odd cities here and there that have produced a couple well-known rappers (Virginia Beach and DC for example) but don't really have a scene.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Chicago Graffiti blasters keep the city bland and boring.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Miami isn't recent, 2 Live Crew and Trick Daddy.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Miami isn't recent, 2 Live Crew and Trick Daddy.
That was My thought!
69 boyz - Tootsee Roll - YouTube

Luke featuring Trick Daddy - Scarred - YouTube

Shut Up (Video Version) - YouTube

Trina - Da Baddest B***h (Video Version) - YouTube

J.T. Money - Who Dat Feat. Sole' (Best Quality) (1999) - YouTube

At what point after the late 80s was Miami wasn't known in Mainstream Hiphop? later on Jackie-O, Pittbull, Pretty Ricky, Rick Ross, Plies and etc came in during the 2000s

Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
True, I forgot about Tech N9ne.

I didn't say that those cities didn't have rappers though, I said that they didn't have well-known artists (though you're right that Tech N9ne is). KCMO obviously has a lot of rappers... Rich The Factor, Fat Tone (RIP), Rappin Twan, etc. The other cities also have rappers but by your OP I thought you meant people that the average Hip Hop listener could name... I doubt too many hip hop listeners could name DBL Rhyme Family or Bossman outside of locals or people like myself who listen to the underground rappers from other cities.

To answer your main question, the main cities with a mainstream presence in Hip Hop culture are:

NYC
Los Angeles
Bay Area
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Detroit
Chicago
New Orleans
Houston
Pittsburg (recent)
Miami (recent)

That's about it. Cities that don't have much of a mainstream presence but have an underground presence are:

Sacramento
Kansas City
Boston
Minneapolis
Cleveland/Akron (Although they did have BT-n-H)

Other than that, there's a couple odd cities here and there that have produced a couple well-known rappers (Virginia Beach and DC for example) but don't really have a scene.
I see. I completely hear your point. I agree.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
There was an article about Chicago hip hop in the Tribune just yesterday

Chiicago rap scene - chicagotribune.com

Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Chicago Graffiti blasters keep the city bland and boring.
Really??? I haven't been to Chicago in almost a decade, but the graffiti is gone?!?!?! Are there any areas in the city that they have zoned and allowed for local tag artists to tag???

I remember when I lived in Atlanta in the 90s, the city actually had zoned off areas specifically for local taggers to do their graffiti. One area was down near where Sci-Trek was. I'll try to find a link for an article on it.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 PM

I have 2 questions:

1) What cities have Hip Hop artists that when they came out, came as a surprise? For example, Once apon a time, people were surprised when an artist from North Carolina dropped...
When "Dirty" dropped, people were surprised by Hip Hop in Montgomerey, Alabama... What were your surprises?

2) What part of Hip Hop (The Popular Culture as a whole) did your city contribute to the culture? I.e: Rap from Bronx, NY. or the term "Turntablism" coined by a Filipino DJ in Los Angeles.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
One of the great young rappers who died too early is from my home town. Other than that we just have a bunch of rich white high school kids who walk around like idiots with their pants hanging off their asses and tag the street signs in front of their parents' million dollar houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City