Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city the most legitimately coastal?
New Orleans 31 16.94%
Seattle 83 45.36%
Houston 18 9.84%
Baltimore 37 20.22%
Chicago 14 7.65%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 09:43 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

The term "coastal" is often not used in a literal sense. Cities that do not appear to be on a coast, but are located in the right part of the country, often get this designation. Others that do appear to be on a coast might not be referred to as coastal.

Throwing up a few candidates and am interested in hearing which one deserves this designation and why you think it does over the others.

This is less of a fact driven poll than an individual interpretation one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 10:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
I consider Seattle, Baltimore, and New Orleans coastal for sure as those are big port cities that are defined by their waterfronts. I guess Houston is as well, but it gets an asterisk because of the port being 5+ miles east of downtown. As such the city doesn't feel the same as the others that have real waterfronts near downtown. Chicago has a better waterfront than any of these cities but it's a lake, not the ocean, so I don't consider it coastal.

Colloquially people use "coastal" as the antonym of "middle America" in which case Houston and New Orleans are not coastal and Chicago maybe is.

I don't think requiring an actual oceanfront makes sense, as generally (throughout the world) port cities are placed where there are natural safe harbors a bit inland.. so that's hardly limited to these cities.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:26 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
The way "coastal" is popularly used, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Denver are more "coastal" than Florida, Georgia, or Alaska.

(Baltimore is a bit of a weird case- it's definitely held up as an example of bad liberal governance, but it's also not a rich or elite city, particularly in the city proper.)

Old 04-24-2023, 07:40 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
Seattle
Baltimore

New Orleans

Chicago (yes, I do believe the Great Lakes is the North Coast of the Lower 48 given how canals have integrated it completely into the St Lawrence Seaway and the volume of shipping through them)

Houston - Houston's primary original identity was not as a port in a way like all of the others above, but instead Galveston was the primary port.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:08 AM

372 posts, read 203,090 times
https://www.iwr.usace.army.mil/Missi...ericas-Coasts/

Always, there are arguments about what is coastal and what is not. This is one link (an official US Government link), that includes the Great Lakes in coastal regions. I know most won't agree with this, as everyone has their own bias or opinion, but to each their own. I voted for Chicago, but Seattle would have been my second choice. Chicago is the only one of these cities that looks truly coastal. It sits on water that is 80 miles across and you can't see the other side. It's not a river that it sits on, nor is it miles away from an ocean like the others. Interesting, if you think about it.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They are all frequently referred to as coastal, but are only in the common interpretation.

Coasts are the water borders of the country, and that means that they have to be on the ocean. That eliminates:
Chicago, which is on a lake
Seattle which is on a Bay, over 100 miles from the Pacific
Houston, which is on a bay inland from the Gulf
Baltimore, which is on a river to a Bay

New Orleans is on a sound but closer to an ocean than the others so is coastal.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:59 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
When I think of coastal, at least in the CD sense, I think non-flyover, coastal elite status. To me, that's Seattle in this group. Than Baltimore as it gets lumped with the Bos/Wash corridor.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Seattle got my vote - literally the whole western border touches a large bay. It's not real ocean (yet) but with a lake on one side and a bay on the other, easily the most "coastal" of the bunch.

Chicago feel "coastal" since Lake Michigan is huge...but it's still a lake. It's my #2.

NO does not feel "coastal" at all since most of it are on a river. You can't really get to Gulf Coast easily either as most of the Mississippi Delta is not all that accessible.

Baltimore's "coast" is way too small, and most of it are former industrial area. Even Annapolis feel more coastal than Baltimore.

Houston's city limit does not even touch the coast other than that outlet of the Ship Channel. Also, like Baltimore whatever "coast" it touches are industrial / port area (basically the ship channel). It does have the best access to "real" oceanic beaches, though, with Galveston <1 hr away (from DT Houston...less than that if you're talking about Clear Lake area).

Old 04-24-2023, 09:28 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Not sure how yall are saying New Orleans is coastal but Houston isn't.

New Orleans isn't anywhere near open water. The Gulf is 100 miles downstream on the Mississippi.

Houston city limits extends right to the Bay of Galveston.

Houston is in a similar situation to Seattle and Baltimore.

New Orleans and Chicago are on Rivers and lakes.
People have different definitions of coastal. For some a large lake is coastal, but I do not go with that definition. I think of coastal as being on an OPEN body of water, not one that is connected to open bodies of water.

If you can get from the city to China by boat without going down a river then you are coastal.

Seattle- Puget Sound to Salish Sea to Pacific Ocean

Baltimore- is on Chesapeake Bay and the Patapsco River is a tidal estuary of Chesapeake Bay which is connected to the Atlantic Ocean.

Houston is on Galveston and Trinity Bays, which are connected to the Gulf of Mexico and on to the Atlantic.

New Orleans city is technically connected to the Gulf through Lake Borgne, but that area of the city is uninhabited nature reserves. No part of the habitable city is on open coasts.

I would rank the 4 in terms of open coasts:

1. Seattle via Chesapeake Bay
2. Houston via Galveston Bay
3. Baltimore via Chesapeake Bay

New Orleans and Chicago- no open coasts- got to go through other cities to get to China

Old 04-24-2023, 10:26 AM

101 posts, read 80,510 times
If whales can be spotted in the “coastal” / ocean water in front of the city, it’s a coastal city. Seattle gets my vote hands down. Seems almost silly to question it. I don’t know enough about the other cities to chime in on those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City