Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburh vs Raleigh
Pittsburgh 35 66.04%
Raleigh 18 33.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Distance from Raleigh to other cities within 500 miles
30 miles to Durham
60 miles to Fayetteville
80 miles to Greensboro
105 miles to Wilmington, NC
105 miles to Winston-Salem
150 miles to Richmond
165 miles to Charlotte
170 miles to Myrtle Beach
180 miles to Norfolk
195 miles to Virginia Beach
240 miles to Spartanburg
250 miles to Asheville
255 miles to Washington DC
265 miles to Columbia
265 miles to Greenville, SC
270 miles to Charleston, SC
295 miles to Augusta
315 miles to Baltimore
320 miles to Charleston, WV
330 miles to Savannah
360 miles to Knoxville
385 miles to Wilmington, DE
410 miles to Atlanta
410 miles to Philadelphia
450 miles to Jacksonville
450 miles to Macon
465 miles to Chattanooga
500 miles to New York (Manhattan)
I said Pittsburgh not Raleigh...wanna try that again...Pittsburgh is within driving distance to 80% of the US population and Canada.

New York
Philadelphia
Chicago
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
DC
Baltimore
Toronto
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Louisville

And this is just the Big Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I said Pittsburgh not Raleigh...wanna try that again...Pittsburgh is within driving distance to 80% of the US population and Canada.

New York
Philadelphia
Chicago
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
DC
Baltimore
Toronto
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Louisville

Raleigh is no more isolated than Pittsburgh. It's just closer to different cities

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

New York
Philadelphia
Chicago
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
DC
Baltimore
Toronto
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Louisville

The phrase I've heard is "within 500 miles of 50% of the population of the United States."

Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,945 times
Raleigh is certainly growing and jobs are the key reason. I lived down there for a year and I didn't really like it. It is basically one giant strip mall surrounded by chain restaurants and shiny new housing plans. The downtown is just a few buildings and has no real city feel. Nobody seems to be from NC, so there doesn't seem to be a real city identity.

I certainly understand why people live there - jobs always play a key factor. Can you find a job and live in a nice shiny new area? Sure, but the whole place just seemed to lack a soul.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think many people would find it surprising that Raleigh is much closer to DC than it is to Atlanta and that it's closer to NYC than it is to either Jacksonville or Nashville. Raleigh is also closer to Boston that it is to Miami. It's intertesting to me that its distance from Atlanta is essentially the same as its distance to Philly.
Yeah - I've made day trips to DC (long day, granted) on more than one occasion. Except for I-95 traffic heading into DC it's an easy drive. I can't wait until the HSR is completed.

Atlanta, on the other hand, is a 6 hour trek, and driving thru one metro after another from the Triangle down to ATL is nothing but continual traffic on I-85; not a fun interstate at all.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Actually, that's not true. Raleigh's growing because it has one of the most educated populations in America and because it's one corner of the Research Triangle area. It's growing because its schools perform well and its crime rate is lower than most metros in the region. It's growing because the sort of industries that are located in the area among those on which America is building its future.
It's also not "so cheap" as you contend. It's not expensive but it's not cheap either. For many it's cheaper but for many others, it's more expensive.
Per capita, the Triangle has one of the highest concentrations of Ph.D's in the US.

Raleigh certainly has it's flaws - it's very sprawly, decentralized, and cultural growth hasn't caught up to population growth. Public transportation isn't what it should be (by a long shot). And someone mentioned Chapel Hill and Durham draining off some of what culture does exist here - the famed indie rock scene in Chapel Hill (which ain't what it used to be) for example.

But Raleigh is an easy, easy city to pick on, and frankly I think it's mostly sour grapes. There are places in the US that are successful, that might once have been backwaters, and I think there's a certain level of envy or bitterness. And there are also some younger boom towns that haven't crashed (like Vegas, for example), that might be perceived as challenging some older boom towns, which is a little silly, and there's certainly some of that on C-D. I say these things because while some of the criticism of Raleigh (and the Triangle) is legit, some of it is awfully vague - on the order of "this city shouldn't be a hot spot for growth because it's humid" or something equally nonsensical.

This is an area I'm generally happy to be living in. There are PLENTY of things this area could be doing better, but I'll take it over stagnation or decline any day. When I was a kid, North Carolina was extremely provincial, and to see at least a couple places in the state grow into large, cosmopolitan metropolitan areas - that's good. I can't find a reason to complain about that. I would like for the growth to be a bit smarter, but otherwise, I'm not complaining.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM

467 posts, read 712,948 times
Pittsburgh, no comparison. Don't even know why Raleigh tempts people besides the fact that it's cheap. It's still boring and uneventful..

Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 AM

123 posts, read 219,207 times
I've never been to pitt, but from what I've heared and researched raleigh can't touch it when it comes to uban living and public transportation.

Raleighs public transit and downtown is terrible and its very spread out.

Raleigh probably trumps it easy when it comes to education, weather, and cost of living.

Raleigh is an awesome place and I've only heared good things about pitt, so I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Raleigh probably trumps it easy when it comes to education, weather, and cost of living.
Pittsburgh I'm pretty sure has a lower cost of living, and Pittsburgh is no slouch when it comes to education; Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne, & Univ. of Pitt to name a few.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 AM

94 posts, read 134,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Raleigh has NC State. Pitt has Carnegie Mellon and Pitt, both of which are members of the AAU, which is an organization of the top research universities in the US. NC State is not a member.

According to the Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, $40,836 in Pittsburgh is equivalent to $50,000 in Raleigh, so Pittsburgh actually has a lower cost of living.

I'll give you weather, though.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City