Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

just more half-a**ed attempts at berating the US. I'm not some rah-rah patriotic boy, but the US is blessed with some of the most diverse and interesting cities in the world (especially contained all in one country).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 AM

83 posts, read 176,257 times
I'll let you in on a little secret.....

To be able to walk around and enjoy the downtown scenes, the majority of the time you're going to need a little bit of cash. At the moment the majority of the USA is having financial problems, including myself. The select few that have funds through these dark times are not social butterflies. The majority of them lack personality and they're not spending their days off downtown. It's mainly the bottom half, and younger folks that fill up our downtowns. And right now there isn't enough value to go downtown for the middle and lower class.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBMaYNE View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret.....

To be able to walk around and enjoy the downtown scenes, the majority of the time you're going to need a little bit of cash. At the moment the majority of the USA is having financial problems, including myself. The select few that have funds through these dark times are not social butterflies. The majority of them lack personality and they're not spending their days off downtown. It's mainly the bottom half, and younger folks that fill up our downtowns. And right now there isn't enough value to go downtown for the middle and lower class.
Good points. Don't you guys realize that we are in the worst recession since the great depression and people are holding on to what they got? I am and I do have a bit of money to spend although I'm not rich. There just isn't much extra disposable income these days.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 AM

322 posts, read 614,631 times
I'd say all American cities are "dead" compared to how they used to be. It's because of Television and video games. People have more reason to be inside with their heat/AC while they play the newest call of Duty or catch the newest episode of Desperate Housewives. Americans are lazy (especially in this day and age) and frankly people feel like there is more to do inside. When I was a kid in New Orleans everyone was outside despite the heat and humidity.
My uncle says the same thing about New York. Obviously people are still outside in New York but he said back in the 80s and 90s it was worse. It's more comfortable inside and people would rather be comfortable then walk around dealing with weather, bugs, and other people.
I'm sure money has alot to do with it for older people but for young people, as long as you can afford one video game you'll have weeks worth of entertainment at your finger tips.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
'Dead' would be a pretty subjective term when applied to a US city. I thought there were plenty of 'alive' cities in Asia, but IMO that had much more to do w/ the undeniably high density/congestion of said cities that don't compare to even the densest US city.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
b/c this is more desirable for whatever reason - its called suicide

Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
You never see people walking around in a lot of them. With some of them it makes sense because of crime or whatever but with others it doesn't. I'm going to make a list of all the "dead" and alive cities I've been to. I especially don't understand this in the south where the weather should allow people to be out and about.

DEAD
buffalo
detroit (obviously)
houston (no clue why)
raleigh
jacksonville
tampa
orlando
fort myers
lakeland
gainesville
cincinnati (dont know why)
philly
huntsville
knoxville

ALIVE
pittsburgh
nyc
boston
chicago
columbus ohio
atlanta
nashville
charlotte(somewhat)
richmond (somewhat)
DC(somewhat)
Baltimore
miami(somewhat)
savannah
greenville sc (somewhat)
lexington
macon (looked dangerous though)
Philly? really, compared to Center City Philly, Downtown Pittsburgh is dead. The only cities that could be made an argument for would be Buffalo, Cleveland, and Detroit but even they aren't really dead. If you want a dead city, go to Pripyat Ukraine Redirect Notice

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
I'd say all American cities are "dead" compared to how they used to be. It's because of Television and video games. People have more reason to be inside with their heat/AC while they play the newest call of Duty or catch the newest episode of Desperate Housewives. Americans are lazy (especially in this day and age) and frankly people feel like there is more to do inside. When I was a kid in New Orleans everyone was outside despite the heat and humidity.
My uncle says the same thing about New York. Obviously people are still outside in New York but he said back in the 80s and 90s it was worse. It's more comfortable inside and people would rather be comfortable then walk around dealing with weather, bugs, and other people.
I'm sure money has alot to do with it for older people but for young people, as long as you can afford one video game you'll have weeks worth of entertainment at your finger tips.
I have an Xbox but it might get turned on for one day a week.
Blame cell phones too, much easier to text your neighborhood friend than go to his house.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
b/c this is more desirable for whatever reason - its called suicide

It is more desireable because you can get a bigger house in the suburbs for less money compared to the city. That is why Americans fled to the suburbs.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
just more half-a**ed attempts at berating the US. I'm not some rah-rah patriotic boy, but the US is blessed with some of the most diverse and interesting cities in the world (especially contained all in one country).
Actually I love the US. That's why I'm wonderng why all these cities are dead. I guess the people in those places don't love it like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City