Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan?
Dallas 155 37.17%
Seattle 262 62.83%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Lies. There are smaller cities with more impressive skylines than Dallas. Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, and San Francisco immediately come to mind. Dallas' skyline looks stunted (b/c of Love Field), and stuck in the 1980's.
Ill grant you Seattle and San Francisco, Atlanta is debatable (could go either way), but Minneapolis?

Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM

83 posts, read 176,186 times
Quote:
Lived in Dallas for six years until 2009 and have had to go back there a few times since then, so I've seen it plenty of times, but nice assumption you made. My opinion still stands. Coming from Oklahoma, I'd see how you'd think the Dallas skyline is impressive, but we're not all required to think alike, now are we?
I was born in Dallas and raised in Houston, I just recently moved to Oklahoma, but nice assumption you made.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Ill grant you Seattle and San Francisco, Atlanta is debatable (could go either way), but Minneapolis?

Nah.
Subjective darling! That's just my opinion, people don't have to agree with me.

I'll be fair and say there are other large top 15 cities cities with uglier skylines to me: Phoenix, San Antonio, San Jose, Detroit. Now I don't have to hear people whining to me about how I'm 'always bashing Dallas, why are you always posting wahh wahh wahh'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBMaYNE View Post
I was born in Dallas and raised in Houston, I just recently moved to Oklahoma, but nice assumption you made.
Just like the assumption you made about me not visiting Dallas, so we're even now

Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Lies. There are smaller cities with more impressive skylines than Dallas. Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, and San Francisco immediately come to mind. Dallas' skyline looks stunted (b/c of Love Field), and stuck in the 1980's.
You are being silly. At the rate its going by the end of this decade Dallas skyline will be very expansive with no gaps in it. between uptown and downtown Dallas. No other southern city will be able to make that claim. If you are going to make such claims tell the whole story O_O.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Some more Dallas photos if anyone is interested.
Dallas....

Impressive skyline? Absolutely, I really like the downtown skyline and it illuminates quite nicely at night. Polished affluent areas not unlike what one would see in LA. Very contemporary architecture that really does make Dallas stand out.

The multiple office park photos around Los Colinas and the Central Expressway corridor aren’t that striking, they're just polished workaday facilities. I think downtown Bellevue is more impressive, and Tacoma is in a similar peer stance as Fort Worth, just a bit smaller.

Dallas has one huge component missing, and it even shows in your pics; with the exception of a few outdoor cafes, no critical mass! Hardly any people walking around even in the edgiest neighborhood photos. Downtown Dallas, a total sleeper. Walking around it feelslike a verticaloffice park. Uptown/Turtle Creek/Cedar Springs is vibrant but not nearly as much as one could find in trendy neighborhoods in cities a fraction of the size of Dallas. As small as San Antonio seems by comparison I find walking around the Riverwalk a lot more interesting and compelling than well any part of Dallas, many would agree. Downtown Seattle and its peripheral neighborhoods have way more urban vibrancy than Dallas for street activity and that is a heavy hitting factor in urban cosmopolitan character.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-11-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Subjective darling! That's just my opinion, people don't have to agree with me.

I'll be fair and say there are other large top 15 cities cities with uglier skylines to me: Phoenix, San Antonio, San Jose, Detroit. Now I don't have to hear people whining to me about how I'm 'always bashing Dallas, why are you always posting wahh wahh wahh'

Just like the assumption you made about me not visiting Dallas, so we're even now
In recent weeks your bashing of Atlanta has picked up a bit. I think you just don't really care for southern cities. I've never heard you bash any other cities outside of southern cities. In my opinion you hometown of Los Angeles isn't exactly the paradise these days for black folks but you don't seem to have much negativity towards it. We both know why the blacks are leaving LA in droves . The DMV area is a great place but let’s not get it twisted it’s just as much mess in DC as ATL, HOU, DAL etc....

Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
In recent weeks your bashing of Atlanta has picked up a bit. I think you just don't really care for southern cities. I've never heard you bash any other cities outside of southern cities. In my opinion you hometown of Los Angeles isn't exactly the paradise these days for black folks but you don't seem to have much negativity towards it. We both know why the blacks are leaving LA in droves . The DMV area is a great place but let’s not get it twisted it’s just as much mess in DC as ATL, HOU, DAL etc....
Actually, I like Houston and Charlotte, hell I even like Atlanta, but it has its problems. I'm just a pessimistic person in general, that's all. My parents have left Los Angeles (still out west, but planning to make a move down south) and I have little reason to go back there except to visit old friends.

I agree DC has its share of ratchetness. Never said it didn't.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Actually, I like Houston and Charlotte, hell I even like Atlanta, but it has its problems.
Everywhere but Dallas, huh?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Everywhere but Dallas, huh?
Touche . I'll admit the longer I've been away, the less I've hated it

Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Touche . I'll admit the longer I've been away, the less I've hated it
You just needed some time to heal O_O. I understand...Life situtations and circumstances can make you hate a place.

I stumbled on this photograph kind made me laugh....took me way back...back down memory lane......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City