Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Nairobi,
We just disagree. My argument is that the presence of celebs will probably cause club owners to use their resources more wisely to attract these people and their fans, therefore producing the better/fancier club. This appears to be the trend with other cities that are entertainment hubs. My argument isn't that " partying around celebs make the club better" that is a straw man.

Polo89,

I love the geto boyz. I don't think they put the south on the map though. I'd argue that Luda's mainstream success places him at the top here. He is the king, the geto boyz are not relevant anymore.
The Geto Boys were the 1st large mainstream group. It was the Geto Boys influence that gave Luda, Outkast, TI, etc the inspiration and the blueprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
I live in the Houston area...originally from NC and been to all of the major cities here and based on my likes:

1) Atlanta- love the midtown area, Downtown Decatur and Virginia Highlands
2) New Orleans- Bourbon!!!
3) Memphis is the third in my eyes!
4) Houston- nice areas but it's spread out more than the top 3
5) Dallas- Nice but more house and that isn't my cup of tea.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM

57 posts, read 160,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Houston put the South on the map. The 1st notable Hip-Hop group from the South was 2 Live Crew(Miami), but people's view of their music was more limited to the club and party aspect of the South with Miami Bass music. The very 1st CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Hip-Hop group/artist to come out of the South were the Geto Boys. After the Geto Boys came out with their, I think, 2nd or 3rd album "We Can't Be Stopped" with the hit song "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" people started to take Southern hip-hop more seriously, and most saw them as a staple of Southern rap. More Southern artist(including Outkast with songs like Players Ball) started taking after, and were influenced by The Geto Boys(Outkast themselves said Geto Boys had an influence on them) with those funk samples(I know the West-coast did it 1st and they created G-Funk, but the South did it alot back then also). So Houston pretty much put the South on the map. The real "Kings Of The South" are each one of these Geto Boy members Scarface, or Bushwick Bill, or Willie D. Take your pick.

I will have to disagree. True that the geto boys came out first but they did not put the south on the map. The geto boys didn't have the same impact that outkast did when they came out.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Nairobi,
We just disagree. My argument is that the presence of celebs will probably cause club owners to use their resources more wisely to attract these people and their fans, therefore producing the better/fancier club. This appears to be the trend with other cities that are entertainment hubs. My argument isn't that " partying around celebs make the club better" that is a straw man.

Polo89,

I love the geto boyz. I don't think they put the south on the map though. I'd argue that Luda's mainstream success places him at the top here. He is the king, the geto boyz are not relevant anymore.
Exactly. In terms of nightlife, "fancier" most often equals more pretensiousness. That's my point, that we just disagree on what constitutes a good nightlife.

Many people think Compound is the best that Atlanta has to offer, and that doesn't say as much as they think it does. I never had any interest to go there, when I lived in Atlanta. For my money, Esso was a much better spot.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Only experienced nightlife in Orlando and Atlanta on the list provided. Out of those two Atlanta

Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Only experienced nightlife in Orlando and Atlanta on the list provided. Out of those two Atlanta
Dude, you can't die before you get to NOLA. Put that on your bucket list right now.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
^And that's the thing. New Orleans is the only city on this list that someone can say "you can't die before you get there".

Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Exactly. In terms of nightlife, "fancier" most often equals more pretensiousness. That's my point, that we just disagree on what constitutes a good nightlife.

Many people think Compound is the best that Atlanta has to offer, and that doesn't say as much as they think it does. I never had any interest to go there, when I lived in Atlanta. For my money, Esso was a much better spot.
I have never been to Esso. What sort of crowd does it attract? The Compound is a hot hip-hop spot but overall id say Club Opera attracts a more diverse crowd and i like it a little better.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Polo89,

You can't be serious. Love Luda and Outkast but they did not put the South on the map. You have to give credit to the geto boyz and Houston here. I know it may be hard for some to do though.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can't be serious. Love Luda and Outkast but they did not put the South on the map. You have to give credit to the geto boyz and Houston here. I know it may be hard for some to do though.
If you are a hardcore hiphop head, then yes, lets say Scarface put the south on the map. Mainstream I have say Luda runs the south. Scarface is one of those classic rappers with a huge underground/raw buzz. He is alot like like Nas for up top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City