Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

It seems like Dallas and Houston don't hold a candle to Atlanta and NO based on the poll. From what other people have said, I thought Houston and Atlanta were AA hotspots and Dallas was more techno and house hotspots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You guys kill me speaking for millions of people.
I'm not speaking about anybody but that specific poster. I never said that everyone in Atlanta cared about nothing but celebrities, but he clearly does.

You guys kill me, taking things out of context.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It seems like Dallas and Houston don't hold a candle to Atlanta and NO based on the poll. From what other people have said, I thought Houston and Atlanta were AA hotspots and Dallas was more techno and house hotspots.
In real life, Houston can hold its candle all up in Dallas' and Atlanta's faces. Don't get it twisted.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What made you think otherwise?? This poll??? Majority of the people voting have never been to Houston and go off what's portrayed in the media.

Btw, for anyone who tries to call me out; I didn't vote.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not speaking about anybody but that specific poster. I never said that everyone in Atlanta cared about nothing but celebrities, but he clearly does.

You guys kill me, taking things out of context.
No, I even said i'm not all over the celebs that come to Atlanta. I was simply saying that celebs tend to come to Atlanta and advertise in their music/show when they do-- i think naturally this causes clubs in Atlanta to step their club game up to be able to compete in attracting these people. This is the case with other cities that attract entertainment, why not Atlanta?

One poster said Houston is mentioned in half the songs on the radio, this is obviously false. Drake is really putting Houston on the map(to the newer generation) because this girl he is obssessed with began stripping there. I think she also stripped in Atlanta and Vegas, hence the song 'Housatlantavegas".

I really don't know why people from houston don't boost about the chop & screwed styled rap you all used to do. That really put Houston on the map as far as popular music. I'd put Atlanta ahead of both Houston and Dallas, but Houston definitely gets the vote over Dallas.

And N.O got alot of votes in the past few days.I spent about a week partying in N.O and i definitely like how condensed the party scene is there, it is perfect for bar-hopping. The Republic is a hot little Hip-Hop spot(though noone was dancing that night) there but it simply is no match for a club like the Compound in Atlanta. N.O has a better concentration of bar-type-clubs, Atl has the best single quality clubs out of the two, i think.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
No, I even said i'm not all over the celebs that come to Atlanta. I was simply saying that celebs tend to come to Atlanta and advertise in their music/show when they do-- i think naturally this causes clubs in Atlanta to step their club game up to be able to compete in attracting these people. This is the case with other cities that attract entertainment, why not Atlanta?
Fine, but what does that really have to do with the average person who wants to have a good time? If you honestly think that the places most popular with celebrities are automatically the places that offer the best time, then I'm sorry, but you've got to get out more.

70% of the celebrities in Atlanta enter these clubs and take themselves right to VIP, where their focus is to look and act as important as possible. How that type of pretentious behavior translates into good fun for you, I have no idea.

Quote:
One poster said Houston is mentioned in half the songs on the radio, this is obviously false. Drake is really putting Houston on the map(to the newer generation) because this girl he is obssessed with began stripping there. I think she also stripped in Atlanta and Vegas, hence the song 'Housatlantavegas".

I really don't know why people from houston don't boost about the chop & screwed styled rap you all used to do. That really put Houston on the map as far as popular music. I'd put Atlanta ahead of both Houston and Dallas, but Houston definitely gets the vote over Dallas.
What does C&S have to do with anything? That specific genre of Houston hip-hop has always maintained a commitment to the underground scene. I know it's difficult for some people to grasp, but everything isn't about gaining mainstream glory.

Quote:
And N.O got alot of votes in the past few days.I spent about a week partying in N.O and i definitely like how condensed the party scene is there, it is perfect for bar-hopping. The Republic is a hot little Hip-Hop spot(though noone was dancing that night) there but it simply is no match for a club like the Compound in Atlanta. N.O has a better concentration of bar-type-clubs, Atl has the best single quality clubs out of the two, i think.
I doubt New Orleans is too concerned with a lack of a club like Compound, as you say. "Quality" is definitely subjective, and y'all have shown that time and time again. We clearly have different opinions of what constitutes good nightlife.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

Houston definitely gets mention on alot of songs, Drake has more hostory with Houston than just a girl.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Houston put the South on the map. The 1st notable Hip-Hop group from the South was 2 Live Crew(Miami), but people's view of their music was more limited to the club and party aspect of the South with Miami Bass music. The very 1st CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Hip-Hop group/artist to come out of the South were the Geto Boys. After the Geto Boys came out with their, I think, 2nd or 3rd album "We Can't Be Stopped" with the hit song "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" people started to take Southern hip-hop more seriously, and most saw them as a staple of Southern rap. More Southern artist(including Outkast with songs like Players Ball) started taking after, and were influenced by The Geto Boys(Outkast themselves said Geto Boys had an influence on them) with those funk samples(I know the West-coast did it 1st and they created G-Funk, but the South did it alot back then also). So Houston pretty much put the South on the map. The real "Kings Of The South" are each one of these Geto Boy members Scarface, or Bushwick Bill, or Willie D. Take your pick.

Last edited by polo89; 02-04-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Houston put the South on the map. The 1st notable Hip-Hop group from the South was 2 Live Crew(Miami), but people's view of their music was more limited to the club and party aspect of the South with Miami Bass music. The very 1st CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Hip-Hop group/artist to come out of the South were the Geto Boys. After the Geto Boys came out with their, I think, 2nd or 3rd album "We Can't Be Stopped" with the hit song "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" people started to take Southern hip-hop more seriously, and most saw them as a staple of Southern rap. More Southern artist(including Outkast with songs like Players Ball) started taking after, and were influenced by The Geto Boys(Outkast themselves said Geto Boys had an influence on them) with those funk samples(I know the West-coast did it 1st and they created G-Funk, but the South did it alot back then also). So Houston pretty much put the South on the map. The real "Kings Of The South" are each one of these Geto Boy members Scarface, or Bushwick Bill, or Willie D. Take your pick.
Scarface is the ****.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Nairobi,
We just disagree. My argument is that the presence of celebs will probably cause club owners to use their resources more wisely to attract these people and their fans, therefore producing the better/fancier club. This appears to be the trend with other cities that are entertainment hubs. My argument isn't that " partying around celebs make the club better" that is a straw man.

Polo89,

I love the geto boyz. I don't think they put the south on the map though. I'd argue that Luda's mainstream success places him at the top here. He is the king, the geto boyz are not relevant anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City