Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 28,445 times

Advertisements

Which area (or suburbs of the area) is the better place the raise a family? San Antonio, TX or Baltimore, MD. My understanding is that San Antonio is more affordable and has better weather. But, what about the public schools? Are Marylands schools that much superior to TX public schools? And what about small businesses? Which area would be better for somebody with a custom furniture shop? And, what about recreation? Baltimore has Patapsco State Park and is driving distance to the Shenendoahs, etc. What does San Antonio have? The hill country? How does it compare to Maryland? Which is the better area if you are a runner or cyclist?
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,889 times
San Antonio has over a dozen high schools on Newseek's list, and a house in their districts would almost certainly cost less than in Maryland.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
howard county schools (Baltimore area) are ranked #1 in the nation.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
without a doubt Baltimore.

If I was a judge my worse penalty would be sentencing someone to life in San Antonio

Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Let me get this straight. You were told Baltimore's schools are better than San Antonio's and then all of a sudden it becomes, "Maryland has better schools than Texas"? Yeah right give me a break, in a state with 26 million people, you WILL have schools that are great and school that aren't. It's just the way it works.

With that said, San Antonio is my answer for this thread.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Let me get this straight. You were told Baltimore's schools are better than San Antonio's and then all of a sudden it becomes, "Maryland has better schools than Texas"? Yeah right give me a break, in a state with 26 million people, you WILL have schools that are great and school that aren't. It's just the way it works.

With that said, San Antonio is my answer for this thread.
who me?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
who me?
Nope. Original poster of the thread.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
lol, I didn't know SA spoke for texas.

wow. I guess SA is the only city in Texas.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Personally I'd go with Baltimore.
Though if you were comparing "schools" by "city proper", I'd go with SA. Also, SA is safer (it actually has a shockingly low crime rate from what I can see on CD)... But if we were talking about metro areas, BMore mops the floor in all categories (minus affordability)

Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingchic View Post
Which area (or suburbs of the area) is the better place the raise a family?
San Antonio is mostly a city that has less significant suburbs and a more prominent center city. Suburbs would be New Braunfels (Heavily German), Lockhart, Seguin, & Belverde. Those are the more common ones known.

Belverde is a bit of a weird case, its a trendy type of place like Santa Fe but to a much smaller extent, its a nice place to raise your family, all of them are actually.

Now Maryland suburbs are a bit of the opposite of the San Antonio ones, meaning less space but more walkable, more of a variation in weather, and better public transit modals for use. Maryland has some of the best suburbs in the nation, especially those that lie directly in between Washington DC & Baltimore.
Quote:
My understanding is that San Antonio is more affordable and has better weather.
Yes to more affordable but no to better weather. Weather depends on what you're searching for personally. Do you want snow? Do you want heat? Depends on what you want. San Antonio can get very hot over summer, but very mild or so in Spring & Autumn with some very mild winters without snow.

Maryland can be cold in winter, with snow. Kind of hot and a bit humid in summer, but very tame Spring, and manageable Autumn.
Quote:
But, what about the public schools? Are Marylands schools that much superior to TX public schools?
Thanks!!!
I am not too familiar with it but I will say this for San Antonio. If you want the best of the best schools in the area, the Northwest side of the city has nice topography with hills, upscale shopping areas, nice food choices, and reasonable cost of living to high end cost of living or so. The areas around La Cantara & The Rim are really nice, and you'll find nearly most of what you essentially need there for family and personal concerns.

Maryland, you'll find some of the best schools in suburban Washington DC, and suburban Baltimore. But the cost of living is far higher than it is in San Antonio. But you will also be able to access all the essential amenities you need for your family in either of them.
Quote:
And what about small businesses?
Depends on how.

Texas as a state is much friendlier to opening a business and money managing or so. Which is the result of why my family ended up in Houston also from Chicago. Much easier to manage and less of a business hassle with a good and flourishing market for most businesses.

But Maryland is also a business friendly place, but the taxes are considerably higher, and it may seem like its not worth it if you're wanting to save as much as possible and execute a long term larger profit share or revenue. The advantage on businesses and opening a small business is Texas.
Quote:
Which area would be better for somebody with a custom furniture shop?
Both. The demand is pretty high in both as they are both destinations for migrants. But San Antonio has the edge, its increasing at a more rapid rate, and its infill is more rapid, there is more demand for housing, furniture, and anything of the sort in general more so there.

But Maryland is absolutely a good option too, the difference isn't a drastic one at all.
Quote:
And, what about recreation?
I would say Maryland has the edge here. Maryland has more access to cultural towns like Annapolis. Maryland also has hills and access to mountains in both West Virginia & Virginia also. Maryland also has immediate access to beaches and a shoreline.

San Antonio has access to hills and has historical areas within its city, but Maryland more so has more historical areas than San Antonio due to a lot of the set up of the colonial towns from then.
Quote:
What does San Antonio have?
San Antonio has the best recreational downtown in the state, theme parks (a few of them actually), good museums, great historical areas to see, great food offerings, great zoo.

Baltimore area has all that (less so on theme parks and tourist based downtown) but has a larger scale on historical areas and stuff.
Quote:
The hill country?
Really pretty.
Quote:
How does it compare to Maryland?
Thanks!!!
It compares nicely.
Quote:
Which is the better area if you are a runner or cyclist?
I would assume Maryland as a whole is easier for runners and cyclists. And by Maryland I mean suburban Baltimore area. San Antonio is okay in this regard but could use some improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Personally I'd go with Baltimore.
Though if you were comparing "schools" by "city proper", I'd go with SA. Also, SA is safer (it actually has a shockingly low crime rate from what I can see on CD)... But if we were talking about metro areas, BMore mops the floor in all categories (minus affordability)
It's not "shockingly" safe. San Antonio in general is a safe area.

How would Baltimore "mop" the floor with San Antonio as a Metropolitan Area? I've been to San Antonio MSA more times than I can ever count and now live in the DMV, and have been to Baltimore MSA twice before. I think they are comparable in things to do. San Antonio is more tourist centered and has a lot of things that appeals to children and young adults, and lots of fun things to do and see. Baltimore is more mature and more of a busy area compared to San Antonio. Baltimore has the advantage when it comes to beach access and access to historical towns like Annapolis, and also very close to Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City