Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 AM

389 posts, read 920,657 times

Advertisements

im originally from chicago area:

in summary deciding between:
august 15 jayz vs white sox , Toronto
july 31 twins vs white sox, Minneapolis
july 24 cubs vs pirates, Pittsburgh

longer story:

Days to choose only on weekdays: T-Th (since I work on weekends)

Im deciding between Jayz and white sox game in Minneapolis or Toronto. I have been to TO last year before and its kinda cool town. Ive never been to its enternaintment venues and I've never been to Minneapolis at all.

Another option is to watch cubs game at Pittsburgh, I have neither been there before. I plan to stay one night in motel/ budget friendly hotel overnight. Or maybe you have suggestion to go to another town (within driving distance <10h except Chicago or Milwaukee where I have been there many times).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Go here:

Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
im originally from chicago area:

in summary deciding between:
august 15 jayz vs white sox , Toronto
july 31 twins vs white sox, Minneapolis
july 24 cubs vs pirates, Pittsburgh

longer story:

Days to choose only on weekdays: T-Th (since I work on weekends)

Im deciding between Jayz and white sox game in Minneapolis or Toronto. I have been to TO last year before and its kinda cool town. Ive never been to its enternaintment venues and I've never been to Minneapolis at all.

Another option is to watch cubs game at Pittsburgh, I have neither been there before. I plan to stay one night in motel/ budget friendly hotel overnight. Or maybe you have suggestion to go to another town (within driving distance <10h except Chicago or Milwaukee where I have been there many times).
I would think that for a cool town to be in pre- and post-ballgame, Toronto is the winner.

But, having never been to the stadium in Toronto, if the game is really the focus of your trip, and if you want a great ballpark experience, it has to be either Pittsburgh or Minneapolis (both of which I've been to).

The skyline view at PNC can't be beat. Target Field has it in some other areas, but I don't want to get into it here unless you need specifics. TF and PNC are probably #1 and #2 ballparks (not necessarily in that order), in the country. Maybe AT&T in San Francisco in that mix, too...

Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
I've only been to Toronto and Pittsburgh for baseball games so I can't speak for Minn.
Pittsburgh has the better baseball experience, with a better ball park, food(inside the ballpark) and better surrounding area(directly by the stadium). Toronto has the better overall city experience for nightlife, culture, food, etc

Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
According to ESPN The Magazine's list (I know, everyone's got a stinkin' list) for 2011 which ranks a number of different components and compiles fan feedback on how much all 4 professional sports teams give back to the fans, one of which is the "stadium experience". The stadium experience is based on these three factors:
  • stadium quality
  • promotions
  • fan friendly environment
The top 4 for stadium quality listed are:
  1. San Francisco AT&T Park
  2. Minnesota Target Field
  3. Baltimore Camden Yard
  4. Pittsburgh PNC Park
Factoring in Promotions and Fan Friendly Environment, the top 10 MLB Stadiums are:
  1. San Francisco
  2. Minnesota
  3. Philadelphia
  4. Colorado
  5. Milwaukee
  6. LA Angels
  7. Baltimore
  8. Kansas City
  9. Pittsburgh
  10. St Louis
Ultimate Team Rankings - MLB - SportsNation - ESPN

Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Though decision:

I narrowed down to Minneapolis and Pittsburgh:

Minneapolis because Target Field is one of best ballparks in country and Twin vs WS is gonna be better rivalry as both teams will be playing harder to win division leader toward end of season

Pittsburg because the combination of both city and ballpark experience will be better and PNC is one of the best ballparks in country also.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Though decision:

I narrowed down to Minneapolis and Pittsburgh:

Minneapolis because Target Field is one of best ballparks in country and Twin vs WS is gonna be better rivalry as both teams will be playing harder to win division leader toward end of season

Pittsburg because the combination of both city and ballpark experience will be better and PNC is one of the best ballparks in country also.
It appears that your stubhub prices for these two specific games are relatively close and you'd be paying about $50 for an infield lower deck seat at Target and maybe $45 at PNC. However, I do see that the PRIMO club level seat (Champions Club) at Target Field for this game can be had for $239 whereas the PNC Lexus seat will set you back $324. The Target Field seat includes a real nice buffet with anything to eat that you could possibly imagine, free beer and wine, free hot dogs, cracker jacks, pop corn, candy, etc... Presumably PNC has a similar arrangement.

I'm guessing the chances of buying from a scalper outside Target Field is good and you'd pay 10 to 50% less than stubhub. I always like being able to choose my seats in advance and am willing to pay extra for the ability to do so.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM

i made decision, im going to Pirates game, even though its little early for me, my friend told me I should go to Sox game, because they are supposed to turn into an increased rivalry for for division leader, but I doubt its happening now this time of year. To my surprise the better hotels in the city are booked up and there are only more expensive rooms left so I booked up a cheaper option with Microtel (which chain belongs to Wyndham) just outside the downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City