Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Even though I'd say the West overall has a lower standard of living than the East, California probably has a higher standard of living than New York State. In New York State you have overpriced NYC and then the economically depressed Upstate. California is expensive pretty much everywhere but the wages somewhat make up for it.
It depends on where in Upstate NY and the type of employment you are looking for/can/will do. You may want to check this out: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...g-markets.html

Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 805 times
Well, NYC and NY state in general is as diverse as CA. One thing i will say, NYKers tend to bash LA. As most i know never have been to CA. And when they visit, most perceptions they had or have are changed. They still (when returning to NYC) have to continue the front to friends that LA and CA in general is a bragging, self indulged fake crap hole, let me point out that NY is worse. The difference is in NY, is a harder lifestyle. You have to be tough. That is exhausting till it becomes a part of you. Like on auto pilot when walking to the train and looking down or ignoring everyone around you. Remember, most incidents that happen in NYC are of tourist (which self proclaimed NYC transplants hate. Can you imagine never leaving your 8 block radius? That happens in NY and try having a conversation with that person. Or try to make them laugh or explain the outside world beyond the New York Times or their train stop. Not going to happen. So when a NYker says CA is LA LA land, What is that about? Yes, LA has traffic. But whats better, Sitting in your car alone or talking and carpooling with someone who won't stab you, or speed walking counting the cracks in the sidewalk while navigating trash bags everyday with headphones on to drown out the horns, screaming, and footsteps behind you? Don't forget the chiropractic fees because of looking behind you as well. NYC is just that. Most who leave for CA make it in CA. And never will go back. As far as the NYC transplant? Materialistic as much as the CA transplant. Its just better in CA. Who wants to be outside spending $150-$300 for diner with friends at a table and you smell pee and watching other trip over the crappy infrastructure because they are corrupt and cannot keep up with it all. NYC has the biggest budgets in the world and its always trash day and union construction projects. A NY brags of the corrupt romance of it all, while LA progressively maintains its state. Granted it snows in NY but moving your car every day sometimes? Another gripe NY make all the time. NY complain constantly. So the argument made LA is full of weak, lazy, chatterboxes is a myth. Basically, Complainers are everywhere. Just NYkers hate CA because their ultimate dream is to keep that lame street cred of claiming "I am a NYker" And CA residents like to tell NYkers "Its sunny today and i didn't get stabbed driving my car to work today"

Old 05-08-2016, 11:02 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
California is just too powerful for New York to go up against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City