Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

The best Italian food in the country may be in Providence, RI. I was there for a bachelor party with some friends (hailing from Boston and New York City), and we were all absolutely blown away by this little Italian deli that was located under the hotel. Enormous, cheap sandwiches that were absolutely to die for. Pair Providence with nearby New Bedford, and between the two you may have some of the best Italian, Portuguese, and Brasilian food in the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The best Italian food in the country may be in Providence, RI. I was there for a bachelor party with some friends (hailing from Boston and New York City), and we were all absolutely blown away by this little Italian deli that was located under the hotel. Enormous, cheap sandwiches that were absolutely to die for. Pair Providence with nearby New Bedford, and between the two you may have some of the best Italian, Portuguese, and Brasilian food in the entire country.
I wouldn't doubt it. The best Italian I have had (in the U.S.), while not in Providence, was in New Haven... so not your typical NY/Boston/Philly/Chicago...

Portland (Maine), not Oregon...awesome has plenty of great restaurants.

The food in these cities definitely compete with the big cities, there just isn't as *much* of them.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Perhaps it's not known in your circles, but this assumption is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

There are very, very few cuisines that cannot be found here. Most surprising to people from outside the region is the abundance of absolutely outstanding Asian food here that, in my opinion can hold its own against any major American metropolis.

How could you possibly even know such things about a place you've never been to?
I agree that there really isnt much you cant find in Atlanta for ethnic food. Its the same here in Dallas. That being said, I dont know if I would go so far as to say that either is known for ethnic food. Personally the only places that I would say are know for ethnic food are NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, Miami, and Boston. In more recent years, you can throw Houston in there too. In the future, Dallas, Atlanta, and Seattle will join that list I think. Its still relatively new here.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Aren't we ALL a part of some sort of ethnic group? Doesn't every chef cook some kind of food? What does it even mean for a dish to be 'ethnic' when American cuisine itself is a mis-mash of different foreign influences?

What do people mean by "ethnic" when the contrapositive leads to a tautology? This makes no sense at all.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 AM

195 posts, read 669,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Cleveland, certainly. There are so many great ethnic restaurants here, because it's a city of old European immigrants. There are some great Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Italian, Irish and Jewish restaurants in the city. There are also a lot of new ethnic restaurants popping up, such as Japanese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Portuguese, Austrian, etc.
I second this but don't forget about all the great Puerto Rican food there too.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:01 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I second this but don't forget about all the great Puerto Rican food there too.
85% of Cleveland's Hispanics are Puerto Rican too....very strong influences here on the near west side.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
What are America's best ETHNIC food cities, outside of the big names (for the purpose of this thread, we'll say NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, SF, DC, Boston, Atlanta and Philly)? In my travels, I've been surprised at how few ETHNIC options many cities offer -- for example, New Orleans, a "food city," has a ton of southern/Louisianan options, but very little Indian, Mexican, etc. Outside of the big names, which of course offer a plethora of options, what cities have the most to choose from?
It is definitely Seattle Washington, Portland Oregon, and Honolulu Hawaii.
All three of these cities have plenty of great ethnic restaurants, especially for their population size.

The Thai, Indian, Italian, Chinese food etc. I had in Seattle and Portland is just as good as what I had in New York City.
Also, I tried Vietnamese and Indonesian food for the first time in Seattle and Portland which was a surprise.

Honolulu's very high percentage of Asians, and high amount of annual tourists causes Honolulu's food scene to become very cosmopolitan.

Last edited by ; 12-25-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 AM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
Seattle has a truly amazing number of Thai and Vietnamese restaurants.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Aren't we ALL a part of some sort of ethnic group? Doesn't every chef cook some kind of food? What does it even mean for a dish to be 'ethnic' when American cuisine itself is a mis-mash of different foreign influences?
As a long time professional chef I agree with this completely. And to go further when people authenticity it drives me crazy. "Authenticity" assumes that cuisines are static, that if they continue to evolve after they leave the place of their origins they are somehow wrong. The only duty of food is to be good.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City