Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Long Beach

Well known and basically LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The korean population is a recent phenomenon. So I doubt it.
Quote:
The op stated Atlanta was known for Korean food; that's false. Koreans don't move and just start throwing up korean food joints everywhere; these things become more established overtime.
But you've admittedly never been to Atlanta (or much of anywhere outside of Texas for that matter), so you really wouldn't know this. There are several suburbs to the northeast of Atlanta with a ton of Korean eateries. The Korean community has been around for about 20 years, more than enough time to establish restaurants.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 12-15-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
But you've admittedly never been to Atlanta (or much of anywhere outside of Texas for that matter), so you really wouldn't know this. There are several suburbs to the northeast of Atlanta with a ton of Korean eateries. The Korean community has been around for about 20 years, more than enough time to establish restaurants.
For it to be known; I would know about it prior to me visiting. Isn't that the point of something being known??? Oh, I'm right??? Thank you. Save the apology; not needed.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
For it to be known; I would know about it prior to me visiting. Isn't that the point of something being known??? Oh, I'm right??? Thank you. Save the apology; not needed.
Um no, just because you personally don't know about it because it doesn't go with your limited and provincial perspective doesn't mean it's unknown. I'm not going to sit here and say that Atlanta is nationally known for having Korean food, but it most certainly is known in that region of the country, and by Korean-Americans.

Besides, my argument was more about your false theory that "Koreans don't just move into an area and start making restaurants," which certainly isn't true. They don't sit around waiting for other folks to do things for them. The second-generation Vietnamese-American community in Houston was partially built and established by Vietnamese Americans from California who sold their houses and used part of the equity to build and establish businesses in the Houston area.

So no apology to save here

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
has to be Detroit

Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Aside from the usual suspects (NYC, LA, SF/Bay Area, Chicago, Boston, Phila, DC, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, etc.), don't forget the traditional immigrant gateway cities of the industrial midwest:

Buffalo
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Toledo
Milwaukee
Minneapolis-St. Paul
St. Louis

These (and similar) places tend to have a significant history of immigrants from places like Germany, Poland, and Italy; the local cuisine still reflects this heritage. Many Jews settled in these cities, so kosher and post-kosher delis still abound. Recently, these cities have seen new waves of immigrants from Europe, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. In Milwaukee, for example, there's a strong presence of Serbian, Polish, Mexican, Peruvian, Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, and Laotian cuisine, alongside the traditional German and Italian places. Each city listed has a variation on the theme: Buffalo has good German, Italian, Puerto Rican, Somali, Indian, and Vietnamese options; Toledo has a strong showing of Hungarian, German, Lebanese, and Indian options; and so on.

Aside from the industrial midwest, another fertile area for ethnic eats is lower New England: the industrial areas of Connecticut (Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, New Haven, etc.), Providence, RI, and places like Fall River, Mass. Lots of Italian heritage, but also a lot of Portuguese, Cape Verdean, Brazilian, Peruvian, and so on.

Other candidates not to forget are college towns. Some college towns, like Madison, WI, have excellent ethnic eating options.

Last edited by Empidonax; 12-18-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
For German and ( to some degree) Polish cuisine, there's Milwaukee. Very hearty and filling, and in large portions...

Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Atlanta is not known for ethnic food [Unless we're talking African American]. Dallas and Miami is though.
Perhaps it's not known in your circles, but this assumption is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

There are very, very few cuisines that cannot be found here. Most surprising to people from outside the region is the abundance of absolutely outstanding Asian food here that, in my opinion can hold its own against any major American metropolis.

How could you possibly even know such things about a place you've never been to?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Um no, just because you personally don't know about it because it doesn't go with your limited and provincial perspective doesn't mean it's unknown. I'm not going to sit here and say that Atlanta is nationally known for having Korean food, but it most certainly is known in that region of the country, and by Korean-Americans.

Besides, my argument was more about your false theory that "Koreans don't just move into an area and start making restaurants," which certainly isn't true. They don't sit around waiting for other folks to do things for them. The second-generation Vietnamese-American community in Houston was partially built and established by Vietnamese Americans from California who sold their houses and used part of the equity to build and establish businesses in the Houston area.

So no apology to save here

So pretty much instead of going by what's known; we just got by what we as individuals know regardless of the perception of these cities because if that's the case; many cities are known for ethnic foods.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Perhaps it's not known in your circles, but this assumption is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

There are very, very few cuisines that cannot be found here. Most surprising to people from outside the region is the abundance of absolutely outstanding Asian food here that, in my opinion can hold its own against any major American metropolis.

How could you possibly even know such things about a place you've never been to?
Now this is blkgiraffe we're speaking on here. He loves to speak on places that he's never been to and what he thinks he knows of them, so nothing new to see here. That's a part of being young, I guess. He'll grow out of it eventually

Quote:
So pretty much instead of going by what's known; we just got by what we as individuals know regardless of the perception of these cities because if that's the case; many cities are known for ethnic foods.
If that's how you interpret it. Besides, just because you didn't know doesn't mean that it's unknown. A bit presumptuous, don't you think?

And I referred to Korean-Americans, people in the Southeastern region and foodies who travel as groups who would know about ethnic dining in Atlanta. Not people's individual experiences.

Again, you implied that that Koreans weren't building restaurants in the Atlanta area, but if you had actually been there or knew anything about it, you would have known that wasn't true, but again, you do like to speak on things you really don't know about quite a bit. Is Atlanta known Nationwide for Korean dining? No, but there are groups who will know about it. Is Atlanta more known for it's Southern/Country cooking (if that is considered 'ethnic')? Absolutely. Although I think there are better cities for "soul-food" than Atlanta, but that's a topic for another day.

Regarding your quote, I had someone at work try to argue me up and down that there was nothing to eat in Houston but BBQ joints and Chain Restaurants and you and I both know that is not true and that while Houston is known for ethnic food (and yes, more known than Atlanta), but according to my know-it-all co-worker, not everyone knows about it. Speaking of which, I sure could go for some Banh Mi or some Dodo's Chicken right now

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 12-20-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City