Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Youngstown VS. Flint
Youngstown 36 44.44%
Flint 9 11.11%
I'm rooting for both. 24 29.63%
Dislike both. 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times

Advertisements

Two iconic rust-belt cities long past their prime, and poster children for post-industrial urban ills: Flint, Michigan, and Youngstown, Ohio. Both are trying to revitalize and reinvent themselves. Which city do you prefer, which (if any) could you see yourself living in, and which has more hope for stabilizing itself in the future?

Youngstown, Ohio:

Peak population (1950): 168,330
Population (2010): 66,982
Largest employer: Youngstown State University

Flint, MI:

Peak population (1960): 196,940
Population (2010): 102,434
Largest employer: General Motors

I have been to both cities and personally love both in spite of their problems. You can feel the history and past importance in the architecture and neighborhoods. Also, these cities are eerily quiet to walk around, giving them a kind of apocolyptic "ghost town" feel which is actually kind of cool. I also think both cities have done a great job of revitalizing their downtowns and restoring their classic downtown architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,159 times
I could see myself living in either city. I've been to Youngstown on many occasions. I don't recall ever driving through Flint, let alone visiting. The largest employer for each city stands out to me in terms of thinking about the future. GM is yesterday's economy. YSU is today's economy. I'd put my chips down on Youngstown.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
I could see myself living in either city. I've been to Youngstown on many occasions. I don't recall ever driving through Flint, let alone visiting. The largest employer for each city stands out to me in terms of thinking about the future. GM is yesterday's economy. YSU is today's economy. I'd put my chips down on Youngstown.
Flint does have a large university presence downtown with the University of Michigan Flint campus.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Flint does have a large university presence downtown with the University of Michigan Flint campus.
True and it could be leveraged in the same way that YSU could. Youngstown is evolving into a college town. Having the university as the major employer will help move that along. The proximity to Pittsburgh (to the extent that Youngstown will leverage that advantage) will also provide a boost. But I don't know enough about Flint to say if that will or won't happen there.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:30 PM

211 posts, read 370,481 times
Personally having been to both cities I think youngstown will comeback before flint. Youngstown is more of an independent city and flint is more tied with detroit almost a suburb so I don't think flint comes back unless detroit comes back.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 AM

195 posts, read 669,071 times
They're both quite GANGSTA. Been to both many times and I don't think they will change much for the better or worse.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrule View Post
Youngstown is more of an independent city and flint is more tied with detroit almost a suburb so I don't think flint comes back unless detroit comes back.
I would have to agree. Flint seems more like an exurb of Detroit, whereas Youngstown has its' own "aura".

Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM

34 posts, read 77,968 times
Youngstown Gets My Vote!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM

144 posts, read 271,248 times
Didn't Youngstown's mayor kind of start the trend (I forget the Urban Planning vernacular for it) of unforceably/forcing people out of their homes by changing zoning regulations like crazy and altering land uses around abondoned lots for whatever his administration saw best fit? From what I understand he was pretty aggressive with this, and achieved some national acclaim for increasing some of the property values throughout the city.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 AM

837 posts, read 1,256,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
Personally having been to both cities I think youngstown will comeback before flint. Youngstown is more of an independent city and flint is more tied with detroit almost a suburb so I don't think flint comes back unless detroit comes back.
Although it could be argued that Youngstown is almost an exurb of both Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City