Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

218 posts, read 1,240,981 times

Advertisements

By cities, I mean the metro area in general. I would guess the following are most liberal and conservative....

Liberal:
San Francisco
Boston
Portland
Seattle
Hartford
Providence
New York City
Washington DC

Conservative:
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
Nashville
Salt Lake City
Cincinatti
Jacksonville

Last edited by Redrum237; 11-08-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
I guess this topic never gets old. You can find liberals and conservatives in every city. I'll allow for a handful of extreme exceptions in either direction, but for the most part, either way you're still in America and people pretty much live the same lives from day to day wherever you go. It's at the state level where the liberal/conservative divide matters most, if anywhere, IMO.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
This has been asked several times. As metro ostensibly means "metropolitan area" some of the most conservative I think would be

Abilene, Texas
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Orem-Provo, Utah
Midland-Odessa, Texas
Rapid City, South Dakota
Sioux City, Iowa

Oklahoma City is possibly the largest metropolitan area to be pretty solidly Republican. (Republican mayor, McCain won the county, etc) Although Jacksonville, Florida is fairly Republican and a bit bigger. Some also like to list San Diego, but it's been trending more liberal for awhile. Although if one means the entire San Diego metropolitan area it still might lean fairly conservative.

For liberal

Ithaca-Corland, New York
San Francisco Bay Area
Portland, Maine

Probably others. I think the liberal side is of more interest than others so will get responses.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-08-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM

91 posts, read 302,543 times
The Nashville Davidson County has voted overwhelmingly blue for the past 2 elections.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
What makes Dallas or Houston conservative? They are two cities that are building/expanding rail transit systems...which indicates a non-conservative city in my book.

Quote:
What are the most liberal and conservative US cities?
By cities, I mean the metro area in general. I would guess the following are most liberal and conservative....

Liberal:
San Francisco
Boston
Portland
Seattle
Hartford
Providence
New York City
Washington DC

Conservative:
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
Nashville
Salt Lake City
Cincinatti

Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
For Tennessee cities I think Knoxville comes out about the most Republican.

Also Kansas City is really pretty liberal. It has an above average gay population and in the last 79 years it's had just one Republican mayor.

//www.city-data.com/top2/c14.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...City,_Missouri

In the US House of Representatives KC is represented by Democrat Emanuel Cleaver who is a member of the liberal-leaning "Congressional Progressive Caucus."

http://cpc.grijalva.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=166&ParentID=0&SectionID=4&Sec tionTree=4&lnk=b&ItemID=164 (broken link)

Although it does have some fairly large conservative suburbs and you did indicate "total metropolitan area." Still I don't think it quite fits.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-08-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 07:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Here is a list of the major cities in the US ranked from most liberal to most conservative and vice versa:

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf

Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post

Liberal:
San Francisco
Boston
Portland
Seattle
Hartford
Providence
New York City
Washington DC

Conservative:
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
Nashville
Salt Lake City
Cincinatti
Dallas and Houston are not conservative. Moderate would be the best word but the cities constantly vote liberal. Its the suburbs that are conservative.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM

218 posts, read 1,240,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Dallas and Houston are not conservative. Moderate would be the best word but the cities constantly vote liberal. Its the suburbs that are conservative.
Like I said in my original post, I'm talking about the whole metropolitan areas.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
Like I said in my original post, I'm talking about the whole metropolitan areas.
Well, even then, not really. The Dallas and Houston metros over all are way more moderate than people give them credit for. Over all, they would be somewhere in the middle. The only reason Texas constantly votes republican is because conservatives have a much higher voter turnout rate than moderates or liberals, and over all, Texas has a very poor voter turnout for elections. Other wise, I think it would be considered a purple state instead of a red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City