Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region would you live in?
Southwest 38 52.05%
Northwest 35 47.95%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

The Southwest (California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada) or the Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana)?

I think both are scenic in their own way - the Southwest has a more desert landscape, but also has mountain areas with more greenery/to escape. I'd probably choose the Southwest for the more equitable climate, but the Northwest is very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Give me CA. You can keep AZ, UT, and NV outside of visiting

Second for me would be WA and OR - I am coastal person and CA wins for me

Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Give me CA. You can keep AZ, UT, and NV outside of visiting

Second for me would be WA and OR - I am coastal person and CA wins for me
What he said

Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
What he said
What he said about what he said

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM

252 posts, read 735,586 times
I chose Southwest

You forgot to mention New Mexico, it's in the Southwest

Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
They say the Northwest economy is in somewhat better shape but the weather would be too depressing for a lot of people and that in itself is enough for somebody to prefer a different region. Though I do find the Northwest more picturesque than the Southwest with lots of rich green forests. The Northwest actually seems to have a lot in common with the Northeast USA.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Agree on 1) Coastal CA
2) Pacific NW
3) Inland CA part of the SW
4) Rest of the SW (NV/ UT/ AZ/ NM)

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
They say the Northwest economy is in somewhat better shape but the weather would be too depressing for a lot of people and that in itself is enough for somebody to prefer a different region. Though I do find the Northwest more picturesque than the Southwest with lots of rich green forests. The Northwest actually seems to have a lot in common with the Northeast USA.

Maybe Seattle has a decent economy but Oregon has always had chronic high unemployment.Its a very serious problem here long before the economy tanked. As far as depressing. Coming from the Northeast where winters many years are cold and snowy, its milder here. At least in the Metro areas. The rest of the two states can be very cold and snowy. Its very damp here in Portland, and that makes it feel colder in some ways than back East. Much of the year is overcast and of course wet. Summers are very short. Its difficult for me to really feel and distinguish the seasons here like in the East.

Depressing. Yes it is and you have to be very careful with this. Because its not just the weather. I have found there is alot of depressed people here. At least in Oregon probably similiar in Washington. There is a high % of drugs and alcohol in this part of the country. If you find your working or living in an enviroment, where there is a high incidence of these individuals. It can really put a damper on living here for anyone. Especially the person that has relocated here from afar. Simply because it is so prevelent and sadly some of it seems acceptable. Just some really depressed and beat up looking people in public everyday. That really stands out about the Northwest, more than any area I have ever been to. It is a beautiful region of America though. .

Other than some of the rocky coast of Maine or the forests in Northern New England. I don't see much else that is similiar between the two regions. Well the names of some of the communities in Oregon, but then they borrowed the names from New England. Thats about the end of the similarities.

I'd say the Southwest would probably appeal to more people but no place is perfect. So I guess its a personal preference, more so than one place is more desirable than another to live in.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
I would not mind to live in the Cascadia part of Oregon or Washington. The coast of California from the Central Coast North I would not mind either.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Northern Utah seems more Northwest than Southwest, as does northern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City