Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or Dallas
Orlando 35 33.02%
Dallas 71 66.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM

398 posts, read 751,591 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of the general geography around Dallas, so Orlando.

EndersDrift, of course it is more Christian than Orlando and in your face religious wise.

Dallas/Ft Worth is what most people think of when they think of Texas, and that is the image which dominates the media so...

Now Dallas might have more stuff, but I would prefer the area of Florida Orlando sits in, and all that it offers.

I always take the regional attributes into any situation where it is talking about "where would I live"

Which is why for me, somewhere like Minneapolis is completely out, as I can't deal with the brutal winters for instance, though it is certainly a gem of a place.

For others, the Northeast, and Coastal California have so much ELSE to offer than their immediate neighborhoods.

Orlando has to offer, "you are living in Florida" and everything that comes with it.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 04-09-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,110 times
I prefer Dallas to Orlando but when I'm in Dallas I feel like its a city that offers less than Atlanta, DC, Houston, or Miami which is why I havent embraced it as much as the other 4. The uptown area is pretty good and Orlando has nothing like that but Dallas really needs more distinguishable characteristics for itself. With Atlanta and Houston they feel like big southern cities but when you walk/drive on streets like Peachtree or Westheimer you see a lot of notable architecture and culture.

I never see that with Dallas, it feels very new and modern compared to other huge southern counterparts. Orlando is the same way as Dallas, a landlocked city with lots of large lakes for recreation but Orlando has theme parks and is a modest drive to the beach. Where Dallas makes up is its shopping, fashion, diversity, and nightlife.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
I prefer Orlando, much closer the ocean.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm just bumping this thread because I found a program I'm interested in that's in a Dallas suburb (University of North Texas) but I just can't seem to find any appeal at all compared to Orlando.. which doesn't say much because I'm pretty over Orlando. But to be perfectly honest all the things I dislike about Orlando seem to be even more present in Dallas not less.

Dallas to me seems actually less modern and more podunk. I guess because its older but everything just looks very .... well podunk. And it doesn't help convince me much when one of the main things I dislike about Orlando is how Christian everything is and Dallas is much more so. In Denton where UNT is there isn't a single Jewish synagogue. The nearest one appears to be nearly 20 miles away in Flowermound. Even Catholic churches seem to be greatly outnumbered by the Presbyterian and Baptist.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong side of Dallas, I'm really not sure - I'm going off where UNT is but:
lewisville, tx - Google Maps is in Lewisville which is where the transit is connected between UNT and downtown Dallas. Its suburbia but it looks much less developed and modern than nearly anywhere in Orlando.

Downtown Dallas I guess it cool and definitely bigger than downtown Orlando but the metro as a whole seems just as bad, if not worse, than metro Orlando to me.
Your comment is fine unless you are talking about everything outside the city limits of Dallas. Dallas is not its suburbs. Dallas is Dallas.

Last edited by Spade; 04-09-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

55 posts, read 133,869 times
Dallas is huge and it's in a large metroplex that includes Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, and Garland. Orlando has suburbs but I don't think it can compare to DFW.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM

398 posts, read 751,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinchic View Post
Dallas is huge and it's in a large metroplex that includes Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, and Garland. Orlando has suburbs but I don't think it can compare to DFW.
it's the only "metroplex"

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Thats typically what one does, judge something based on something.
I could care less about anything Dallas has to offer. When one or two things doesnt fit a criteria why bother? its the same with anybody from any city in this country or world. People waste time always trying to find a place to live going against their desires to be happy, beleive me I'm open minded I love cities but to live or visit I'd hate dallas, i know what little information I need to know. IF you and others feel I'm being ridiculous so be it, lol. not my problem. Even that guy or gurl from Orlando is on your side, goes to show people take great care about what someone thinks of their city. IF your already living their good for you. It shows that city has your intrests and something to offer. Go you.
Obviously not....

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM

886 posts, read 1,564,549 times
Dallas is superior to Orlando and its neighbor Fort Worth

Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
This thread is comparing an Alpha city (Dallas) to a city that basically wouldn't even exist were it not for a big amusement park. Dallas.....no contest.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Dallas is superior to Orlando and its neighbor Fort Worth
You with this anti-Fort Worth b.s. again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City