Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times

Advertisements

The Northeast is my favorite. Beautiful historic homes can be found in a huge variety of styles and sizes in areas from ultra-urban to ultra-rural and everything in between. This area definitely has the largest number of beautiful houses, mainly due to being the oldest area of the country. The older Midwestern cities are similarly great as well, I especially love Chicago and Detroit. In terms of newer architecture, the urban in-fill in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington is really great. Detroit has some of the best Mansions anywhere in the country.

People often overlook the South, but there are tons of great homes there. The homes in New Orlean's Garden District and along Charleston's coast are truly beautiful, as are the large plantation homes scattered throughout the Deep South. Savannah and the colonial towns throughout Virginia as well are filled with great homes. The older areas of Atlanta and Houston have some nice big historic homes. The Art Deco in Miami is especially awesome and really gives Miami a unique look.

The West Coast is great too, especially the Victorians and historic Mediterranean style homes in California. Seattle is interesting as well. The architecture for the most part is nothing special on its own, but it really fits into the environment seamlessly. The architecture doesn't really stand out, which works in Seattle because that area has such an incredibly lush and beautiful setting. Anywhere else, I think it would be bland, but Seattle makes it look great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 10:37 AM

620 posts, read 311,845 times
Atlanta is definitely nice! 10,000 sq feet palatial tree-lined mansions on a hilly topography isn’t uncommon in certain parts of the city. Too many picturesque neighborhoods scattered throughout the city. It’s just awesome to drive in those areas.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:39 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,455,407 times
Newer homes, especially ones built post 1990, are utter garbage. Hardly even worth the particle board, drywall, and plastic cladding they're made of. So "new" sunbelt boomtowns such as Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta are out of the question here. I strongly prefer older homes. I think St. Louis, Detroit, New York, and Chicago have some of the best houses in the country- based on the criteria of craftsmanship, architectural charm, durability, and quality of materials used. The fact that Detroit and St Louis have homes that have been abandoned for many decades yet are still standing is a testament to how well-built they are.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:43 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
The Northeast is my favorite. Beautiful historic homes can be found in a huge variety of styles and sizes in areas from ultra-urban to ultra-rural and everything in between. This area definitely has the largest number of beautiful houses, mainly due to being the oldest area of the country. The older Midwestern cities are similarly great as well, I especially love Chicago and Detroit. In terms of newer architecture, the urban in-fill in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington is really great. Detroit has some of the best Mansions anywhere in the country.

People often overlook the South, but there are tons of great homes there. The homes in New Orlean's Garden District and along Charleston's coast are truly beautiful, as are the large plantation homes scattered throughout the Deep South. Savannah and the colonial towns throughout Virginia as well are filled with great homes. The older areas of Atlanta and Houston have some nice big historic homes. The Art Deco in Miami is especially awesome and really gives Miami a unique look.

The West Coast is great too, especially the Victorians and historic Mediterranean style homes in California. Seattle is interesting as well. The architecture for the most part is nothing special on its own, but it really fits into the environment seamlessly. The architecture doesn't really stand out, which works in Seattle because that area has such an incredibly lush and beautiful setting. Anywhere else, I think it would be bland, but Seattle makes it look great.
Philadelphia, Chicago and New York over Boston for need architecture and infill? Hmm... Sounds a bit suspicious

Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I’m not settling for anything less than Fallingwater. LOL

It’s impractical in New England using 1950s technology but I’ve always liked MCM. A thermally efficient version using 2020 glazing technology and materials to handle the snow load on a private view lot is my dream house. Just give me Ekornes Stressless to sit in rather than that uncomfortable mid century furniture.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:19 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Newer homes, especially ones built post 1990, are utter garbage. Hardly even worth the particle board, drywall, and plastic cladding they're made of. So "new" sunbelt boomtowns such as Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta are out of the question here. I strongly prefer older homes. I think St. Louis, Detroit, New York, and Chicago have some of the best houses in the country- based on the criteria of craftsmanship, architectural charm, durability, and quality of materials used. The fact that Detroit and St Louis have homes that have been abandoned for many decades yet are still standing is a testament to how well-built they are.
The houses built in my zip code aren’t usually OSB-sheathed plastic boxes. The land is too expensive to bother with tract houses and builder grade materials. A 2020 house has Energystar windows and doors. In my zip code, they’re usually framed 2x6 with plywood sheathing and roof deck so it can withstand a leak. R-80 in the attic or R-60 on sloped roofs. The roof can stand up to a hurricane and is built to Miami-Dade standards.

I’d much rather have a higher end 2020 house than a 1980 house. It’s more energy efficient. It’s much quieter from better glass and better insulation. You get the insurance break.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 35,201 times
I'm not sure what place has my favorite houses (maybe some of the modern ones in SF or Seattle?) but I can say for sure the southeast has my least favorite style. That darn neoeclectic style is in every suburb from Georgia to North Carolina. It's the style that originally led to the McMansion blog. It's just so ugly, and it's everywhere. I will say Asheville, NC is building some funky looking homes recently; they are colorful, boxy, and have oddly shaped windows. I'm not sure what that style is or if it is present elsewhere, but I really like it. See this one for example.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:29 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
The Northeast housing stock with so many quaint towns and villages is hard to beat.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Atlanta isn't a 'new' city by any means, and is full of beautiful historic homes - including Victorian's dating from the 1800's.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:12 AM

307 posts, read 241,939 times
I live in LA and outside of a few areas like the bungalows in Pasadena, and the Victorian's, Colonials, and Craftman's in a few neighborhoods close by DTLA, Baldwin Hills, and off Wilshire Blvd.. the majority of the homes here are crappy ugly boxes with no size to them whatsoever. Give me a beautiful East Coast two story, with a basement, row house/brownstone any day of the week. Chicago included. Of course SF has some beautiful Victorian's and row houses but outside of that its appalling how the East Coast and parts of the Midwest have the best looking and functional housing and most of the West Coast homes in general are straight out of a garbage can. I like some of the townhomes and older neighborhoods in Atlanta as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City