Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 08:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times

Advertisements

Denver, Austin, Orlando, and Charlotte will be the next to hit 3m's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 10:26 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Denver is pretty much there already.

There's just so much growth in and around Orlando and Austin that it is hard not to pick those two.

San Antonio isn't being mentioned much, but it and Orlando had kept pace with each other for over 20 years now. Charlotte has too.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:08 PM

718 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Denver is pretty much there already.

There's just so much growth in and around Orlando and Austin that it is hard not to pick those two.

San Antonio isn't being mentioned much, but it and Orlando had kept pace with each other for over 20 years now. Charlotte has too.
Charlotte and Orlando are pretty much there as well. Charlotte csa is at 3.3 million.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:55 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I see the date on the OP.

Given my thoughts today, I think Charlotte and Austin are definitely the next 3 million plus MSA.

I think St. Louis definitely has the potential to carry the 3 million plus status well. I don't think the drive for growth is there yet but could be on its way in the next 2 or three years depending on the economy and regional cooperation.

That seems to be a lot of adding?

As it stands today, I don't see Nashville as a 3 million MSA for the next census.
I think Nashville as the standard "metropolitan statistical area" will not hit the 3 million mark until the 2050 census.

By 2030, I predict Nashville is around 2.3 million MSA, and by 2040, it should be around 2.6-2.7.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:04 PM

325 posts, read 203,987 times
Denver is already a lock. Charlotte, Orlando, San Antonio before 2030. Austin not far behind but I have a hard time seeing it maintain the level of growth they've had considering the infrastructure problems and skyrocketing COL.

The largest net migration to SA metro is from Austin so that plays a factor too. Not sure how much that stacks up numbers wise though.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:16 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
I see the date on the OP.

Given my thoughts today, I think Charlotte and Austin are definitely the next 3 million plus MSA.
Orlando will beat Charlotte to 3 million let alone Austin which is almost ~600k off the mark.

Quote:
I think St. Louis definitely has the potential to carry the 3 million plus status well. I don't think the drive for growth is there yet but could be on its way in the next 2 or three years depending on the economy and regional cooperation.
Maybe in two or three decades. St. Louis growth is anemic at best, and unlike the coast which have the luxury of regional immigration and economic monopolies to shake off economic downturns in the long run, STL doesn't.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:19 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

Maybe in two or three decades. St. Louis growth is anemic at best, and unlike the coast which have the luxury of regional immigration and economic monopolies to shake off economic downturns in the long run, STL doesn't.
I don't think St Louis metro area grows, as much as it starts to slowly decline.

An answer could be migrants from other countries moving in, to make up for the slowing reproductive rates that most Americans are now showing.

But if folks from other countries do not move into the St Louis area, it most likely will not attract enough of a population boost to push it past 2.9 million, let alone 3 million.

St Louis needs a stronger economy, and better paying jobs. Tech and white collar high-paying jobs and companies skip over St Louis, for the large part.

They tend to head to Chicago or Minneapolis, in the midwest region (and to a lesser degree now Indy and Columbus). And nationally, St Louis isn't really in the conversation for tech jobs.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I don't think St Louis metro area grows, as much as it starts to slowly decline.

An answer could be migrants from other countries moving in, to make up for the slowing reproductive rates that most Americans are now showing.

But if folks from other countries do not move into the St Louis area, it most likely will not attract enough of a population boost to push it past 2.9 million, let alone 3 million.

St Louis needs a stronger economy, and better paying jobs. Tech and white collar high-paying jobs and companies skip over St Louis, for the large part.

They tend to head to Chicago or Minneapolis, in the midwest region (and to a lesser degree now Indy and Columbus). And nationally, St Louis isn't really in the conversation for tech jobs.
St. Louis isn't a top ten stem magnate. As much as I hate wallet hub, they rank St. Louis 25 out of 100. Out ranking places like Nashville, Charlotte, Dallas and New York City in STEM opportunities. Still being smashed by Chicago, Austin, Atlanta and Minneapolis. There are many things on the board for St. Louis to reposition itself for a turn around. I will believe it when I see it. The potential is here. St. Louis won't hit 3 million by 2030. Turn the corner maybe?.!

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...essionals/9200

Old 09-13-2023, 11:31 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

It's funny you say this. I'm literally considering moving back to St. Louis from Tampa, because in my field the Tampa area pays anywhere from $15k-$20k less and the average house is about $100k more. I don't think growth is always related to job opportunities. St. Louis' economy is actually very diverse and there are a lot of healthcare, technology, financial, and blue collar jobs. I think the problem is just perceptions about crime, culture, and lifestyle, which are somewhat true but definitely overblown. Also, growth begets growth the same way decline almost becomes a death loop for urban areas.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
It's funny you say this. I'm literally considering moving back to St. Louis from Tampa, because in my field the Tampa area pays anywhere from $15k-$20k less and the average house is about $100k more. I don't think growth is always related to job opportunities. St. Louis' economy is actually very diverse and there are a lot of healthcare, technology, financial, and blue collar jobs. I think the problem is just perceptions about crime, culture, and lifestyle, which are somewhat true but definitely overblown. Also, growth begets growth the same way decline almost becomes a death loop for urban areas.
I was once considering Tampa as a possible second home but the more I look at things, it wouldn't be a good move from a cost stand point. If I am going to pay more, I need to get more city. Outside of Beachy type stuff, I don't see it. Am I wrong?

St. Louis actually looks terrible on paper. That is the reason for the negative comments. That is also the reason for slow migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City