Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 06:45 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times

Advertisements

San Francisco, definitely.

I've never been to SF myself but i always think of it as a "second NYC" because it's just as diverse and while LA is also a big city, it's more of a, I don't want to say suburb, but more inconvenient just because the public transportation isn't big as NYC & SF. I've actually heard of BART and Muni but when i think of LA, I can't think of the public transportation system name. If I were to move out of NYC in the near future, to another metro city, it'd definitely be SF. I've thought of going to college here but other than Berkeley (in the Bay Area), I can't think of other well-known schools

Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
The Bay Area (tech hub) or Greater DC (political hub).

Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
SF or DC

Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Sf

Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
I personally consider SF to be the fourth city, but DC has just as much of an argument to claim that spot.

Boston, Philadelphia, and Houston are all very important cities, but I can't find enough reasons to put any of them above SF or DC. Though, these three cities very easily claim the 6th, 7th, and 8th spots.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
San Francisco, definitely.

I've never been to SF myself but i always think of it as a "second NYC" because it's just as diverse and while LA is also a big city, it's more of a, I don't want to say suburb, but more inconvenient just because the public transportation isn't big as NYC & SF. I've actually heard of BART and Muni but when i think of LA, I can't think of the public transportation system name. If I were to move out of NYC in the near future, to another metro city, it'd definitely be SF. I've thought of going to college here but other than Berkeley (in the Bay Area), I can't think of other well-known schools
There is this little known school named Stanford, among others.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
While Houston has great potential in the future, its not quite ready to be mentioned in the same sentence with NYC, LA, Chicago, DC and the Bay Area in terms of relevancy to the country. It could happen in the next 10-20 years, but it still needs to mature and work on some weak points such as making its higher education institutions stronger, further diversifying its economy, and imaging itself.
iono.....i disagree. I think Houston's relevancy is right there with the other cities, just not as much 'in-your-face' so to speak.

I guess if I were to rank in importance and priority, i would rank the cities as:

Number One: Washington D.C. (President of the United States and the rest of the Leaders of this Country)

Number Two: New York City (Financial Capital)

Number Three: Houston (Energy Capital)

Number Four: Los Angeles (Entertainment Capital)

Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

90 posts, read 94,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I personally consider SF to be the fourth city, but DC has just as much of an argument to claim that spot.

Boston, Philadelphia, and Houston are all very important cities, but I can't find enough reasons to put any of them above SF or DC. Though, these three cities very easily claim the 6th, 7th, and 8th spots.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Houston and Philadelphia have larger city populations than SF, DC, or Boston.

Though, city boundary populations are pretty arbitrary, it's still a contending issue that will stop a whole lot of people (maybe 20-30% of people) to think that Philadelphia or Houston is more important than the above three.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
iono.....i disagree. I think Houston's relevancy is right there with the other cities, just not as much 'in-your-face' so to speak.

I guess if I were to rank in importance and priority, i would rank the cities as:

Number One: Washington D.C. (President of the United States and the rest of the Leaders of this Country)

Number Two: New York City (Financial Capital)

Number Three: Houston (Energy Capital)

Number Four: Los Angeles (Entertainment Capital)
Houston, the Houston economy, and the greater Texas economy are all extremely relevant in both the world market and geopolitics. It is just not what you would call a destination city and has smaller national media presence than the others. It's not really a place people move to for the city itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Houston and Philadelphia have larger city populations than SF, DC, or Boston.

Though, city boundary populations are pretty arbitrary, it's still a contending issue that will stop a whole lot of people (maybe 20-30% of people) to think that Philadelphia or Houston is more important than the above three.
I had somebody arguing the importance of Phoenix based on it's city population to me in person about a month ago. I don't talk to this person anymore.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Houston, the Houston economy, and the greater Texas economy are all extremely relevant in both the world market and geopolitics. It is just not what you would call a destination city and has smaller national media presence than the others. It's not really a place people move to for the city itself.
Which is why it's not really in your face. Houston's "relevance" is right there with the other aforementioned cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City