Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
I'm not denying that Philadelphia (especially), DC, and Boston are overshadowed by NYC to some extent, but a lot of the posters in this thread keep repeating how NYC's presence hurts Boston, DC, and Philadelphia, but the same can't be said for LA and SF?
Okay, so HOW is SF overshadowed by LA?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 PM

90 posts, read 94,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well:

-LA is the most powerful city in the State of California, while SF isn't
-LA is the most major city on the West Coast, which SF isn't that far away from
-Growth in California for the past 50 years has been driven by Southern California, which has indirectly benefited Northern California.

Though most of those things are probably changing nowadays.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
probably just in terms of number of people and how often it is mentioned on the boob tube

Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think Dallas-FW and Houston are neck and neck in national importance. Neither are merely 'regional' cities.
I am taking about global economies NOT national importance.

This was what was said, don't twist the words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston is far from a regional City. Houston has globally important economic centers in Energy and Shipping. It by no means serves as a regional hub. Dallas is clearly the regional hub for the area, you can see that by the level of flights through DFW airport

Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I actually dont see SF as being overshawdowed in the same regards as a place like Philadelphia; if at all (though LA is the "capital" of CA)

NYC has actually commuter poached GDP and population from Philly based on census metrics (not sure in the reality but on these metrics there are tangible aspects that can actually be quantified on quantitative metrics).

Seriously the impact of NYC could have as much as a tangible shift of 15-20% on population and economic output. Again the reality is that in the integrated economy the money still flows and jobs and people and amentities are still only a few miles away so wherever the census draws a line doesnt really change the way people live

Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Well:

-LA is the most powerful city in the State of California, while SF isn't
Please define 'powerful'?

Quote:
-LA is the most major city on the West Coast, which SF isn't that far away from
But how is SF hurt by this?

Quote:
-Growth in California for the past 50 years has been driven by Southern California, which has indirectly benefited Northern California.
Northern CA has a larger economy than Florida, and would be 4th if it were an independent state behind TX, NY and SoCal.

Im still not feeling very overshadowed?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
I am taking about global economies NOT national importance.

This was what was said, don't twist the words:
Whatever. Imo they are neck and neck in many aspects, in particular the question the thread asks.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Isn't the Bay Area, to some extent, in the shadow of LA? I mean the distance from DC to NYC is 220 miles, while LA-SF is 380 miles.
I was thinking about this as I wrote the post slightly above. That's why it's so hard to figure out who is 4 and 5. In a sense, both DC and SF are in the shadow of NY and LA, respectively. Like I said, that's why fighting over who is 4 and 5 is pointless.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was thinking about this as I wrote the post slightly above. That's why it's so hard to figure out who is 4 and 5. In a sense, both DC and SF are in the shadow of NY and LA, respectively. Like I said, that's why fighting over who is 4 and 5 is pointless.
I think regional prominence is just one part of the equation - this part benefits Dallas and Houston.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Houston is far from a regional City. Houston has globally important economic centers in Energy and Shipping. It by no means serves as a regional hub. Dallas is clearly the regional hub for the area, you can see that by the level of flights through DFW airport
I know that Houston packs more punch than Dallas. I don't think it's 4 or 5 though, but it clearly has more international significance than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City