Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

I want to start a thread and challenge posters here to refrain from saying anything negative about these cities and write only positive thoughts that have come to mind. Some of these cities get very little love here and are only defended by the “homers” often times. So let’s see if you’ve learned anything here from other posters on CD that may have changed your negative perceptions about these places listed (cities, & regions). If you don’t know anything about the place look it up on wiki or Google and find something interesting that you didn’t know. Some criteria for example may be based on recent improvements or proposals, something a resident CD poster may have written, a visit to the place that surprised you or changed your perception, something you researched or came across on the internet or TV.

Some of these areas may be perceived as having plenty of fanfare by some but nonetheless the focus here is say something nice about these cities/places. Post something about all, or one, or select the ones you know something about as long as its positive.

Phoenix
Houston
Omaha
Hartford
Cleveland
El Paso
Detroit
Indianapolis
Northern New Jersey (Newark/Jersey City etc...)
Raleigh/Durham
Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Phoenix - nice airport
Detroit - same as Phoenix
Northern NJ - close to NYC
Sacramento - close to SF, great weather, lots of trees.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 PM

239 posts, read 509,417 times
Phoenix- I enjoy the active lifestyle there
Omaha- Good music scene
Northern NJ- It's really more like a suburb of NYC but Newark has some nice bars and good Italian restaurants.
Sacramento- Nice weather and it has a good amount of diversity for a city its size. I think the main reason people bash Sacramento so much is because it's not LA, SF, or San Diego.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,941 times
Phoenix-Amazing desert setting
Houston-Economic powerhouse
Omaha-Where I live!
Hartford-Chalk full of history.
Cleveland-University Circle
El Paso-??
Detroit-Gritty in the best possible way.
Indianapolis-Amazing downtown
Northern New Jersey (Newark/Jersey City etc...)
Raleigh/Durham-Energized, whenever I think of it I imagine what have three large universities so close together must do for the scene.
Sacrament-Great music scene.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Good idea, caphillsea.

Phoenix -- surrounded by beautiful desert landscape; nice winter weather
Houston -- my place of birth so it's nostalgic; great museums, great food
Omaha -- Old Market is pretty cool
Hartford -- never been
Cleveland -- world-class healthcare (I'm in HC)
El Paso -- great mountain views
Detroit -- never been
Indianapolis -- fantastic job hosting the Super Bowl
Northern New Jersey (Newark/Jersey City etc...) -- Hmm...not sure, but I've been to JC and liked it?
Raleigh/Durham -- college basketball!
Sacramento -- well-integrated racially/ethnically; good CA weather minus the ridiculous CA COL

Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
Phoenix has fantastic weather in the winter. The natural areas around the city are beautiful. There are some really nice spas and restaurants in the area. When I was there last (January 2011) the roads were really nice, you could zip around from one side of the city to the other without getting stuck in traffic.

Raleigh has a mild climate and some nice neighborhoods with great little bungalows within walking distance to fun little commercial districts. Seems like a great place to raise a family. And of course there are top-notch universities and athletics in the area.

Those are the only two of those cities I have been to. I'm sure the other have lots of great qualities as well.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Phoenix - topography, desert-scape, nice stucco homes with tile roofs, awesome winter, and Scottsdale nearby
Houston - brick homes of every shade inside a pine forest, nice skyline, underground downtown tunnel system, Galveston, diversified economy, great food choices, approachable people for such a huge city
Omaha - very stable, socially and economically, good steaks a la KC, presumably nice people
Hartford - Connecticut's capital, within visiting distance of both NY and Boston, the coast of CT, RI and MA are also accessible
Cleveland - great lakefront and lakefront suburbs, nice downtown skyline, affordable brick homes in established neighborhoods, multi-ethnic fabric, Cuhayoga River no longer on fire (lol)
El Paso - I'm reaching here, dry weather and good Mexican food
Detroit - opening chase scene from "Beverly Hills Cop" was filmed here, the seat of the American auto industry, nice old and new suburbs, can vacation in Michigan's UP
Indianapolis - grows, though slowly, and very nice people (Hoosier Hospitality is real)
Northern New Jersey - lots of Italians which, for me, is a good thing
Raleigh/Durham - nice affordable homes, trees, a lot of smart people in research, 3 fantastic schools (Duke, UNC, NCSU), can day trip to the Carolina Coast
Sacramento - great fall and spring weather, verbatim "it's close to everything" (if one only had a dollar for every time they've heard that - lol)

Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Sacramento- Nice weather and it has a good amount of diversity for a city its size. I think the main reason people bash Sacramento so much is because it's not LA, SF, or San Diego.
"Expats" live there "in pain."

Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Phoenix- Totally surprised me, thought I would hate it but during the winter beautiful desert scenery and you can avoid the massive sprawl in old town areas by the Biltmore- nice historic neighborhoods.
Houston- Never been but I imagine it is full of all those fun and friendly Texans that I meet all over the place so can't be that bad.
Omaha- Old Market, nice settled architecture
Hartford- Hmmm.... I saw some awesome Phish shows there.
Cleveland- Never been, don't know much about it- Great brick homes
Detroit- Amazing architecture both commercial and domestic
Indianapolis- Never been (as an adult) everyone says it has a real nice, very approachable and fun downtown
Sacramento- Great Tree city

Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,649 times
Phoenix Good to vacation at, the warmth can be nice
Houston Very diverse and intergrated
Omaha Don't know enough about
Hartford Near New York, pretty area
Cleveland Don't know enough about
El Paso Don't know enough about
Detroit Has a nice airport, suburbs are nice
Indianapolis Don't know enough about
Northern New Jersey (Newark/Jersey City etc...) Very intergrated and diverse, close to New York
Raleigh/Durham Also quite diverse, very educated, and great weather
Sacramento Yet again, very diverse, close to the Bay Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City