Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/state has the best cannolis?
New Jersey 6 13.95%
New York City 9 20.93%
Philadelphia 9 20.93%
Boston 16 37.21%
Chicago 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times

Advertisements

Im surpprised NYC doesn't have more votes. I've had some incredible Cannolis there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM

451 posts, read 694,924 times
Wheres the Upstate NY option?

Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo have some of the best Italian cuisine and pastries in the Northeast. Just as much as Boston, NYC, Providence, Jersey and Philly.

Sure, theyre not as big, but just as good if not better.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
I said Jersey...because you can find them in many of the small towns. Basically, North Jersey is a patchwork of small towns but together make for a very large population.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-21-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Randomly enough, the absolute best cannoli I've ever had in the US was in St. Louis. It was the closest thing to the cannolis I tasted in Italy. Everything else at that restaurant was mediocre, but they're cannolis were so fresh and near-perfect. I can't remember the name of the place, but my girlfriend reviewed it on Yelp so I'll ask her later. That being said, NYC has a lot of places where you can get a really great cannoli. I've never had one in Philly, Boston, or Jersey, but the rest of their Italian and Italian-American cuisine is just as good as what we have in NY so I'd assume great cannolis are relatively easy to find there as well. I don't remember having cannolis that were all that amazing when I lived in Chicago and SF.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
I voted for Boston, because it's what I know best, and I can't imagine really finding a better cannoli, though I'm sure there are comparable Italian pastries to be found throughout the NorthEast. You just have to know where to look.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
^^^ I agree with Henry - great cannoli are all found all over the NE when you know where to look. Nevertheless, I voted for Boston as well for one reason. No trip to that city is complete without a visit to Mike's Pastry in the North End.

All sizes | "Mike's Pastry" | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffandfazia/3730670015/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Chocolate Chip Cannoli | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonwinters/6775791958/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
The Mahoning Valley (Youngstown/Warren/Niles) or the east side of Cleveland would fulfill anyone's cannoli fix.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
^^^ I agree with Henry - great cannoli are all found all over the NE when you know where to look. Nevertheless, I voted for Boston as well for one reason. No trip to that city is complete without a visit to Mike's Pastry in the North End.

All sizes | "Mike's Pastry" | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffandfazia/3730670015/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Chocolate Chip Cannoli | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonwinters/6775791958/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)
I too am a big fan of Mike's, although the question of best cannoli in Boston is much disputed. Many favor the Modern, and scoff at Mike's as something that only a tourist could get behind. I am not impressed by the modern myself. The styles are different, and people should go for what they like, but in spite of the claim, Mike's gets a huge local clientele along with the tourists.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I too am a big fan of Mike's, although the question of best cannoli in Boston is much disputed. Many favor the Modern, and scoff at Mike's as something that only a tourist could get behind. I am not impressed by the modern myself. The styles are different, and people should go for what they like, but in spite of the claim, Mike's gets a huge local clientele along with the tourists.
I know it goes against the "either/or" mentality, but I like Mike's and Modern. However, I generally take out of town visitors to Mike's for the experience. Plus they have more wacky creations... though I tend to stick with the basics. Modern is cool because they fill the shell right there for you.

My favorite is probably Bova's on Salem Street, though. Not because the Cannoli are particularly better (though they're certainly AS good), but because it's a bit lower key than Mike's or Modern and tends to be an easier in/out.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I know it goes against the "either/or" mentality, but I like Mike's and Modern. However, I generally take out of town visitors to Mike's for the experience. Plus they have more wacky creations... though I tend to stick with the basics. Modern is cool because they fill the shell right there for you.

My favorite is probably Bova's on Salem Street, though. Not because the Cannoli are particularly better (though they're certainly AS good), but because it's a bit lower key than Mike's or Modern and tends to be an easier in/out.
I am squarely in the Maria's camp as the best Cannoli in Boston. I agree though we have a great selection with Mikes, Bova and Modern rounding out the best of. There are also some good places in East Boston and Revere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City