Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So yes, Houston's summers are worse than Atlanta's. Our winters are a bit milder, but whether or not that's a good compromise depends on who you tallk to.
Right, this makes sense, as I think about the palm trees in people's yards, particularly around Kemah, Clear Lake, and South Shore Harbor. Less so in The Woodlands and Kingwood. Also, Thanksgiving could very well be shorts weather in HOU, but definitely not in ATL. The different latitudes (HOU lower), elevations (ATL higher), and proximity to the Gulf make these two a little different. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Right, this makes sense, as I think about the palm trees in people's yards, particularly around Kemah, Clear Lake, and South Shore Harbor. Less so in The Woodlands and Kingwood. Also, Thanksgiving could very well be shorts weather in HOU, but definitely not in ATL. The different latitudes (HOU lower), elevations (ATL higher), and proximity to the Gulf make these two a little different. Thank you.
The climate between the two, is like night and day. Atlanta is much colder than Houston, please.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that. Their last Thxgvg had a high of 66. Atlanta can get warm during the holiday season, and Houston can get pretty chilly.

Houston had a White Christmas in 2004. Before 2010, Atlanta's most recent one was in the 1800s, I believe.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say that. Their last Thxgvg had a high of 66. Atlanta can get warm during the holiday season, and Houston can get pretty chilly.

Houston had a White Christmas in 2004. Before 2010, Atlanta's most recent one was in the 1800s, I believe.

You would debate with God himself. Does it really matter??? That was a fluke in Houston.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
I will make this easy: Houston's climate is almost near identical to Savannah's climate, which is where I currently happen to live. But I was born, raised and spent the majority of my life in Metro Atlanta and so can unequivocally say that what passes for 90 in one does not equal 90 in the other. The humidity in Savannah/Houston makes it *feel* much much hotter in summer, and in reverse much colder in winter ( yes, we have high humidity even in winter ... And it makes 40 feel like zero). That said, the biggest difference to me between North Georgia and South Georgia summers is the cooling effect at night. Basically, it never gets "cool" even after dark in Savannah while in Atlanta, summer nights are often quite chilly. I lived the first 12 years of my life in metro Atlanta in a house without AC -- and survived!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I will make this easy: Houston's climate is almost near identical to Savannah's climate, which is where I currently happen to live. But I was born, raised and spent the majority of my life in Metro Atlanta and so can unequivocally say that what passes for 90 in one does not equal 90 in the other. The humidity in Savannah/Houston makes it *feel* much much hotter in summer, and in reverse much colder in winter ( yes, we have high humidity even in winter ... And it makes 40 feel like zero). That said, the biggest difference to me between North Georgia and South Georgia summers is the cooling effect at night. Basically, it never gets "cool" even after dark in Savannah while in Atlanta, summer nights are often quite chilly. I lived the first 12 years of my life in metro Atlanta in a house without AC -- and survived!
Well people can survive without AC, but it certainly won't be comfortable.

The average low for Atlanta during the summer is in the low 70s. That's not chilly, but it is noticeably cooler than the coastal south.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I haven't been to Houston, but I've spent lots of time in Atlanta and New Orleans, and I agree that the summer in New Orleans feels much hotter and more oppressive than the summer in Atlanta. I would guess Houston is more similar to New Orleans.
True, but the fact that Houston is in Texas makes it even worse. Texas has the highest temps out of all of the areas mentioned.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
True, but the fact that Houston is in Texas makes it even worse. Texas has the highest temps out of all of the areas mentioned.
The climates of Houston and New Orleans are practically identical, right down to the average high temps.

Climate Comparison for New Orleans, LA and Houston, TX

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Well people can survive without AC, but it certainly won't be comfortable.

The average low for Atlanta during the summer is in the low 70s. That's not chilly, but it is noticeably cooler than the coastal south.
Right. You still have many people in Houston without AC.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
The climates of Houston and New Orleans are practically identical, right down to the average high temps.

Climate Comparison for New Orleans, LA and Houston, TX
Interesting. It just seems like areas of Houston get more 100 degree days than New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City