Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM

430 posts, read 1,651,143 times

Advertisements

Both are Affluent suburban communities outside big cities (Los Angeles, Miami)

Both are known for their wealth, and prestige, sunshine.

Which would be better to raise a family and why? Money not being an option.

Donald Trump owns a house down in Boca

Kobe Bryant owns a house in Newport Coast.

Boca
-Better Beaches
-More Diverse
-Boats/yachts
-More tropical
-Close to Miami
-Low Crime

Newport
-More scenic surrounding
-Lighter weather
-Boats/yachts
-Close to Los Angeles
-Waves/surfing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Are you looking at moving to one of these or is this just theory? Any particular reason you chose these 2 particular beach towns is what I'm getting at because I don't think either one is necessarily ideal for raising kids given their demographics and planning.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Are you looking at moving to one of these or is this just theory? Any particular reason you chose these 2 particular beach towns is what I'm getting at because I don't think either one is necessarily ideal for raising kids given their demographics and planning.
Are you freaking kidding me? Newport Beach and Boca Raton are the one of the most prime areas in the United States to raise children. Not only is there a plethora of family activities to do but both have A+ rated schools. Boca, being located in South Florida is a little low on the quality of life scale (in my personal opinion). However since they are both wealthy enclaves, residents can enjoy a high quality of life regardless.

As for which would I chose, definitely Newport Beach. Simply because of the weather and high quality of life. South FL really can't compare to southern California on that scale. The beaches are nice, the greenery is nice, the food is incredible (south FL is mom and pop restaurant land!)...but I can't handle this humidity any longer.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Are you freaking kidding me? Newport Beach and Boca Raton are the one of the most prime areas in the United States to raise children. Not only is there a plethora of family activities to do but both have A+ rated schools. Boca, being located in South Florida is a little low on the quality of life scale (in my personal opinion). However since they are both wealthy enclaves, residents can enjoy a high quality of life regardless.

As for which would I chose, definitely Newport Beach. Simply because of the weather and high quality of life. South FL really can't compare to southern California on that scale. The beaches are nice, the greenery is nice, the food is incredible (south FL is mom and pop restaurant land!)...but I can't handle this humidity any longer.
Boca isn't where I'd want to raise my kids. Ft Lauderdale or Miami sure but not PBC. Everythings too spread out and the old people can't drive. I'd like to raise kids somewhere they can either bike or walk to visit with friends and to the mall and such. The only top rated school in Palm Beach is up in West Palm Beach so while the schools aren't bad in Boca its not like you'd be moving there for the best high school in the country or even in Florida.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Boca isn't where I'd want to raise my kids. Ft Lauderdale or Miami sure but not PBC. Everythings too spread out and the old people can't drive. I'd like to raise kids somewhere they can either bike or walk to visit with friends and to the mall and such. The only top rated school in Palm Beach is up in West Palm Beach so while the schools aren't bad in Boca its not like you'd be moving there for the best high school in the country or even in Florida.
I agree, might as well raise kids in disneyland. Both of these places are not realistic, kids raised here will be well educated but assume being poor means wearing polo shirts. Kids may not be motivated to achieve their best in schools though as whats the worst that can happen? Life for the poorer souls in these communities arent bad, so a kid might think if they dont apply themselves they can still make enough to live in Bocca or Newport beach and raise their own family. That will work out if they are trust fund kids. Otherwise they miss a reference point of what avg americans face and deal with and that an important lesson even for a liberal.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
You can't be this ignorant.
Boca has the top rated high schools in Palm Beach County and Florida! Top rated high schools in West Palm Beach?! WTF. Where?? Oh and you said you'd rather raise your kids in Fort Lauderdale and Miami!? Wow. I am dying laughing. You don't know ANYTHING about Florida.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-06-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree, might as well raise kids in disneyland. Both of these places are not realistic, kids raised here will be well educated but assume being poor means wearing polo shirts. Kids may not be motivated to achieve their best in schools though as whats the worst that can happen? Life for the poorer souls in these communities arent bad, so a kid might think if they dont apply themselves they can still make enough to live in Bocca or Newport beach and raise their own family. That will work out if they are trust fund kids. Otherwise they miss a reference point of what avg americans face and deal with and that an important lesson even for a liberal.
That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. These districts are A+rated school districts. Because of the success of the people before them and they see the hard work their parents did, students are motivated to succeed even more. Which is why they stay A-rated school districts and students go on to top tier universities. Why the hell should they have to feel sorry for everyone else? Yes, they are blessed, but they do the work required to get to where they want to be. People who don't have the money to live in Newport or Boca Raton can easily get there by pursing an education and doing the work it takes to get a degree and get a job and earn the money to live there. Your only as poor as you make yourself.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-06-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
You can't be this ignorant.
Boca has the top rated high schools in Palm Beach County and Florida! Top rated high schools in West Palm Beach?! WTF. Where?? Oh and you said you'd rather raise your kids in Fort Lauderdale and Miami!? Wow. I am dying laughing. You don't know ANYTHING about Florida.
I've only lived here for 26 years, I must be a ****ing moron. Oh wait or there's something called sources.

America's Best High Schools - The Daily Beast

Hmm Suncoast Community School is the top rated in PBC. And where might that be?

Boca Raton, FL to Suncoast Community High School - Google Maps

Gosh a mere 30 miles away. Wow you're real brilliant kiddo. But maybe nearby are top schools:

America's Best High Schools - The Daily Beast

pg 2 shows West Palm Beach and 2 in Miami. Well no, that just can't be.
pg 3 shows another in Miami and still none in Boca Raton. Why this is just blasphemous.

Hmm but hey Newsweek must be full of ****. Greatschools, Greatschools will redeem you amiright?
GreatSchools.org Search: Boca Raton, FL

Not sure if that link will work, it was pretty long so I shortened it but it should be schools within 60 miles of Boca Raton, sorted by Rank. Hmm that's strange though Boca Raton doesn't show up for 11 spots.. and when it does its Boca Raton Community High School:
Boca Raton Community High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which first started receiving A grades in 2005. And that's followed by Spanish River Community High School, its so good it didn't even earn an A rating last year by the DOE.
School Accountability Report .

But hey while you're on there you might look at it this way, in PBC there's 8 A-Rated High Schools. In Broward there's 16 and in Miami-Dade there's 29.

You want to argue with me you better know what you're talking about instead of calling me ignorant. Now go crawl back into your hole until you have some evidence.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. These districts are A+rated school districts. Because of the success of the people before them and they see the hard work their parents did, students are motivated to succeed even more. Which is why they stay A-rated school districts and students go on to top tier universities. Why the hell should they have to feel sorry for everyone else? Yes, they are blessed, but they do the work required to get to where they want to be. People who don't have the money to live in Newport or Boca Raton can easily get there by pursing an education and doing the work it takes to get a degree and get a job and earn the money to live there. Your only as poor as you make yourself.
Living in these less economically diverse cities, insulates them from reality of what happens if you dont work hard and apply yourself. Your argument is simplistic, the kids in those cities have the opportunity to get a great education and the opportunity to work hard and succeed like their parents. But these factors alone dont mean its going to happen. Show me a study supporting your contention then I wil believe it and accept someone calling me dumb but at this point, your opinion is just that... its yours, not necessarily right, just yours

Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
they're both terrible

absolutely terrible, dana point is even worse

gimme downtown LA anyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City