Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Bingo..See half of Memphis's newest attractions that Money Mag is raving about have opened starting around 2014, since you haven't Been There in 5 years you are not in position to declare that Memphis is the most boring city, Your views are outdated
Well, Overton Park has been there, and there's always someone performing there. Beale has always been there and I've been to Coyote Ugly and about three other clubs there I can't remember the names of. So, yeah, only thing that could be different really is some new clubs/bars..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Bingo..See half of Memphis's newest attractions that Money Mag is raving about have opened starting around 2014, since you haven't Been There in 5 years you are not in position to declare that Memphis is the most boring city, Your views are outdated
I haven't lived in Memphis for a few years now. I do, however, go back every year 5 or 6 times a year to visit my family, so I can honestly say firsthand that despite what that one article you read may claim (which was probably paid for by the Memphis Area Chamber of Commerce anyway), nothing really changes in Memphis, which is a large part of its problem...

Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 AM

182 posts, read 226,078 times
I'd pick nashville

Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
I'd pick nashville
I agree. It is not a fair comparison.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 AM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
How is it not a fair comparison, its not like NYC is listed or something

Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
How is it not a fair comparison, its not like NYC is listed or something
Nashville is in a different tier. The true contest is between Richmond and Memphis, in which case Richmond wins in every category except professional sports, and even then Memphis is not very good.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:14 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The true contest is between Richmond and Memphis, in which case Richmond wins in every category except professional sports.
...and food.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
...and food.
That is debatable too, although Memphis is well known for its staples such as bbq and southern fare. Richmond has no such staple, but has risen on the radar for its growing restaurant scene.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:23 PM

247 posts, read 336,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is in a different tier. The true contest is between Richmond and Memphis, in which case Richmond wins in every category except professional sports, and even then Memphis is not very good.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball is embedded in the culture of Memphis. Everyone knows and loves the Grizzlies. They are constantly ranked as one of the best professional organizations in terms of quality of team, arena, atmosphere, and affordable ticket prices. It was really exciting a few years ago when they started their playoff run, the entire city was talking about it.

While I was in Nashville, I didn't get that impression about either of their pro teams. The Titans were on the verge of making the playoffs, and the stand was full of the opposing team's fans. I heard very little talk about them at any point of my tenure in the city, and virtually none about the NHL team outside of sports talk radio (composed of football guys who still didn't really understand the sport).

That's not to insult the franchises, as I enjoyed keeping up with the NFL team, though I felt I was in the minority. The people in Memphis just seemed much more in tune with and enthusiastic about their pro sports team.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:27 PM

730 posts, read 813,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball is embedded in the culture of Memphis. Everyone knows and loves the Grizzlies. They are constantly ranked as one of the best professional organizations in terms of quality of team, arena, atmosphere, and affordable ticket prices. It was really exciting a few years ago when they started their playoff run, the entire city was talking about it.

While I was in Nashville, I didn't get that impression about either of their pro teams. The Titans were on the verge of making the playoffs, and the stand was full of the opposing team's fans. I heard very little talk about them at any point of my tenure in the city, and virtually none about the NHL team outside of sports talk radio (composed of football guys who still didn't really understand the sport).

That's not to insult the franchises, as I enjoyed keeping up with the NFL team, though I felt I was in the minority. The people in Memphis just seemed much more in tune with and enthusiastic about their pro sports team.
Here you go again spewing nonsense about Nashville. The Predators are very popular in town. Last season they had 31 sell-outs, and this season the Predators are in 7th place for capacity attendance in the NHL, averaging 100.2% capacity at Bridgestone Arena. While Nashville is a popular destination for fans of visiting teams, it has very much become a hockey town. I see people wearing Preds jerseys all over town, particularly on game days, and where I work it's always a hot topic of conversation at the water cooler.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...tors-rise.html
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/4/1...y-cup-playoffs
HockeyBuzz.com - Adam Proteau - All-Star weekend a celebration of Nashville's growth as a hockey town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City