Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I think some of you are missing the point of this. Some of you are exclaiming that because one city has more hispanics in raw number therefore it is the capital. That is not true. Sure NYC and LA in raw numbers have more hispanics. Sure NYC has more diversity. However, when you get to NYC you don't see a Hispanic dominated city. You see a diverse cosmopolitan city. Same thing with LA. When you go to Miami, you literally feel like you are in Latin America. Miami is Latino dominated and the city revolves around that. For instance the morning talk shows in Spanish are in Miami. Many telenovelas are filmed in Miami (at least American targeted ones). Most Latin American celebrities live or own property in Miami. Many large international global corporations have their heads/directors of Latin in America headquartered in Miami. All the companies that I know that have a strong prescense in Latin America use Miami as their American base in regards to those Latin American offices.

When you think of Miami what do you think? You think Beaches, hot weather and a very Latin city. When you think of NYC, Latino is not one of the first things that comes to your mind. Same with LA, and if you do it's mostly Mexicans you think of.

I am not downplaying NYC or LA but Miami dominates in terms of the effect the Latino population has on the city's culture and international media.

Miami is just like Atlanta when it comes to African Americans. Sure there are cities that have more African Americans, but when you go to Atlanta you really feel and see the dominance that African American culture has on the city. In places in Chicago or NYC it's not as visible nor as dominant.
All very much true. As I have stated in another thread, MIAMI is basically a Latin American city and society geographically located in an Anglo-American country. All the social cleavages and doings in Latin America are nearly replicated to a tee in a place like Miami.

However, given the affect on the rest of the UNITED STATES, its much more limited given that most Hispanics in the United States have little to no connection to Miami.

Los Angeles, while having a large Mexican and Central American population, are actually assimilating quickly into Anglo society, not the Anglos assimilating into their society. Despite the fact that LA is 48% Hispanic within its city limits, a huge chunk of those are American born and don't have as many strong connection to Mexico or El Salvador than family trips to those countries. The mindset in a place like LA isn't a Latin American one, it's an Anglo-American one with a Latin veneer, if that.

Here's why I think NYC is perfect as the capital of Hispanic America. Not only does it have the diversity of Miami (in fact, even more so) and the media influence to affect the rest of Hispanic United States (think about Univision, or even reggaeton and bachata, or even right down to movies like West Side Story), but the mindset there isn't neither predominantly Latin American nor Anglo American. It's something 100% new, which represents the totality of the Hispanic American experiences in the United States.

On the same token, that's exactly why NYC is also the Black American capital of the United States and the Asian American capital of the United States.

Quote:
Yeah but DC Hispanic's culture ( no matter how diverse it is) is not even in the 2nd tier much less up there with Miami in this conversation. I'd put Houston, Dallas, and Chicago above DC on this.
You're right, however nearly 1 million Hispanics in one small metro region in the United States is NOTHING that can be sneezed at, especially since a huge chunk are from countries like Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, Honduras, and El Salvador: really it represents the smaller Latin American countries.

Houston, Dallas, and Chicago are all LITERALLY Mexican dominated. Hell, Mexicans are even less represented in the Bay Area despite having nearly the same Latino population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,524 times
Quote:
When you go to Miami, you literally feel like you are in Latin America. Miami is Latino dominated and the city revolves around that..
some parts of LA feels like your in a diffrent country, even local supermarkets and gas stations have translations in spanish, and are even written in spanish. spanish is the common language in those parts of the city.

Quote:
For instance the morning talk shows in Spanish are in Miami..
only shows filmed by telemundo and some univision. LA has Azteca America, Estrella TV, and LATV

Quote:
Many telenovelas are filmed in Miami (at least American targeted ones).
depends what country makes those telenovelas because all the mexican telenovelas are filmed in Mexico and broadcasted in Mexico city, and most american scenes are filmed in Los Angeles (ex. Evaluna)

Quote:
Most Latin American celebrities live or own property in Miami.
many rich and famous hispanics have homes and live in the Los Angeles Area

Quote:
All the companies that I know that have a strong prescense in Latin America use Miami as their American base in regards to those Latin American offices.
like which?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM

160 posts, read 310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
So half of the population of the second largest city in the US manages to stay effectively sequestered in discreet enclaves? That's just...words fail me.

As far the dominance of one nation being represented, sure. About 70% are Mexican. However, Mexico is the third largest county in the Western Hemisphere, and regionally diverse. Its also the largest Spanish speaking county in world, by a huge margin. Dismissing the second largest Mexican city in the world as being insufficiently representative of "Hispania", wherever that is, makes little sense.

In addition, there are over 1.2 million Latinos of non-Mexican origin in LA County.

Size matters.
The size of LA's Hispanic population is impressive but it doesn't tell the whole story. For instance, why did it take so for Los Angeles to elect an Hispanic mayor? Miami elected its first Hispanic mayor in 1973, less than 15 years after the arrival of the first Cuban exiles. The first Cuban-born Mayor was elected in 1985. Miami Dade became a bilingual county in 1973, it was also ground zero for the first "English Only" debates in the early 80's. Raw numbers are impressive, but concentration and percentages also need to be taken into account.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
So according to you, NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston and even San Antonio are significantly much more Latin Cities than Miami. Right? Because in raw numbers they have many more ( am talking city propers).

The question posed here is not what city has the most hispanics, it's what is the capital of hispanic America. So all those Mexicans in LA that watch telenovelas, Caso Cerrado, or any TV shows in Spanish, guess where most of those TV shows are produced? Miami. Correct me if I am wrong but the Miami is area has more Brazilians than LA, and Brazil is larger than Mexico in size and population. So what's your point?

Los Angeles easily goes second to Miami, but the dominance it has on Latin Americans and in Latin American itself cannot be compared at all. Perhaps if some of you were Latin American you could understand this. When I go to Argentina, Ecuador and Chile Miami is seen as the gateway to the U.S. Miami is where you go to.

So that must make LA the de-facto Capital of the US. Most TV shows are produced there.

Brazil? Not considered “hispanic”. Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For purposes of argument, even if they were Hispanic, they are out-represented by Mexicans in Los Angeles by multiple orders of magnitude. But feel free to dismiss them. Because this is a completely stupid hypothetical, the criteria to identify this mythical “capital of Hispanic America” might include the place where more humans described as “Hispanic” actually live, comprising the largest “Hispanic” culture in the United States.

But on the other hand, there’s telenovelas.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

160 posts, read 310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
All very much true. As I have stated in another thread, MIAMI is basically a Latin American city and society geographically located in an Anglo-American country. All the social cleavages and doings in Latin America are nearly replicated to a tee in a place like Miami.

However, given the affect on the rest of the UNITED STATES, its much more limited given that most Hispanics in the United States have little to no connection to Miami.

Los Angeles, while having a large Mexican and Central American population, are actually assimilating quickly into Anglo society, not the Anglos assimilating into their society. Despite the fact that LA is 48% Hispanic within its city limits, a huge chunk of those are American born and don't have as many strong connection to Mexico or El Salvador than family trips to those countries. The mindset in a place like LA isn't a Latin American one, it's an Anglo-American one with a Latin veneer, if that.

Here's why I think NYC is perfect as the capital of Hispanic America. Not only does it have the diversity of Miami (in fact, even more so) and the media influence to affect the rest of Hispanic United States (think about Univision, or even reggaeton and bachata, or even right down to movies like West Side Story), but the mindset there isn't neither predominantly Latin American nor Anglo American. It's something 100% new, which represents the totality of the Hispanic American experiences in the United States.

On the same token, that's exactly why NYC is also the Black American capital of the United States and the Asian American capital of the United States.

You're right, however nearly 1 million Hispanics in one small metro region in the United States is NOTHING that can be sneezed at, especially since a huge chunk are from countries like Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, Honduras, and El Salvador: really it represents the smaller Latin American countries.

Houston, Dallas, and Chicago are all LITERALLY Mexican dominated. Hell, Mexicans are even less represented in the Bay Area despite having nearly the same Latino population.
People are attacking the question in different ways. I see you're point about NYC but as I said earlier in the thread I don't think there is ONE Hispanic capital. Mexicans in San Antonio don't view NYC the way Dominicans do, Salvadorans in DC don't view Miami the way Cubans do, etc. The point I've been making is that the Hispanic influence in Miami has been greater than either NYC or LA, it is a "Latin" city in a a way that the very large and very diverse NYC and LA areas are not.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
i think you have that wrong, Californian residents were among the first to celebrate cinco de mayo in the united states and even now the City of los Angeles hosts city wide celebrations anually in el Pueblo de los Angeles and at LA Live. when we celebrate cinco de mayo our american freinds join us to celebrate, this was very suprising to me when they asked to come to our homes and celebrate with our families.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
some parts of LA feels like your in a diffrent country, even local supermarkets and gas stations have translations in spanish, and are even written in spanish. spanish is the common language in those parts of the city.

only shows filmed by telemundo and some univision. LA has Azteca America, Estrella TV, and LATV

depends what country makes those telenovelas because all the mexican telenovelas are filmed in Mexico and broadcasted in Mexico city, and most american scenes are filmed in Los Angeles (ex. Evaluna)

many rich and famous hispanics have homes and live in the Los Angeles Area

like which?
Some parts of Chicago feel like you are in a different country too where everything is in Spanish. Same could be said for NYC. However, most of Miami feels like you are in a Latin American country. LA only has some parts feel like you are in another country that is the difference. In places like LA, NYC and Chicago only parts of the city feel like that where in Miami MOST of the city feels like that. There's a big difference.

Let's be honest here, Telemundo and Univision are the two most popular channels for Latin Americans here in the U.S. You know this is true, so I don't think I have to go any further than that.

The other night on a national news there was a segement stating that Miami is now the Latin Hollywood, someone else mentioned it in this thread. I watched it. Of course not all shows are filmed there, but many more are starting to and a grand majority are. Case in point, many more telenovelas are being filmed in Miami than LA. You said it yourself, many Mexican novelas are filmed in Mexico, so how can LA win against Miami in that category?

You are right many famous Latin Americans have homes in LA, I never said that LA doesn't but Miami has more and I am not talking about Americanized Latino celebs. I am talking about the famous Latinos in Latin America. So like the Olga Tanons or the WIlliam Levy's of Latin America, not the Eva Mendes or Andy Garcias.

I am really not going to list a bunch of companies for you. Walmart is one that comes to mind, and most of the architecture firms I work with have their Latin American base from Miami. Like AECOM, Jacobs, Dewberry, URS there are several more. Where is your list of LA based offices for Latin America?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Some parts of Chicago feel like you are in a different country too where everything is in Spanish. Same could be said for NYC. However, most of Miami feels like you are in a Latin American country. LA only has some parts feel like you are in another country that is the difference. In places like LA, NYC and Chicago only parts of the city feel like that where in Miami MOST of the city feels like that. There's a big difference.
you cant compare a city like miami to a city like los Angeles in size, those areas that feel like your in another country in LA are probably twice the size of miami probably more

Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
So that must make LA the de-facto Capital of the US. Most TV shows are produced there.

Brazil? Not considered “hispanic”. Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For purposes of argument, even if they were Hispanic, they are out-represented by Mexicans in Los Angeles by multiple orders of magnitude. But feel free to dismiss them. Because this is a completely stupid hypothetical, the criteria to identify this mythical “capital of Hispanic America” might include the place where more humans described as “Hispanic” actually live, comprising the largest “Hispanic” culture in the United States.

But on the other hand, there’s telenovelas.
No it makes LA the capital of entertainment in the U.S.

When a city is completely dominated by Hispanic population, dominates the Latin American media in production, acts as a base for most Latin American offices for international companies, when is a connecting factor in flights to almost all Latin American countries and when a city is completely influenced, not partially, by Latin American culture, that makes it the Hispanic Capital of the U.S.

When something is a capital of something it's because of the influence it plays not it's raw numbers. If it was all about population then NYC would be the capital of almost anything for any thread that we are looking to argue what the "capital" of something is. It is a number of factors, just not raw population numbers.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Let's be honest here, Telemundo and Univision are the two most popular channels for Latin Americans here in the U.S. You know this is true, so I don't think I have to go any further than that.
Univision is New York City

Quote:
The other night on a national news there was a segement stating that Miami is now the Latin Hollywood, someone else mentioned it in this thread. I watched it. Of course not all shows are filmed there, but many more are starting to and a grand majority are. Case in point, many more telenovelas are being filmed in Miami than LA. You said it yourself, many Mexican novelas are filmed in Mexico, so how can LA win against Miami in that category?
the Hollywood of Latin America must be Mexico City

Quote:
You are right many famous Latin Americans have homes in LA, I never said that LA doesn't but Miami has more and I am not talking about Americanized Latino celebs. I am talking about the famous Latinos in Latin America. So like the Olga Tanons or the WIlliam Levy's of Latin America, not the Eva Mendes or Andy Garcias.
if im not mistaken william levy is participating in Dancing with the Stars which is filmed in los Angeles,- Ricky martin, Luis Miguel, Jenny rivera, Araceli Arambula, Ezequiel Pena, many more

Quote:
I am really not going to list a bunch of companies for you. Walmart is one that comes to mind, and most of the architecture firms I work with have their Latin American base from Miami. Like AECOM, Jacobs, Dewberry, URS there are several more. Where is your list of LA based offices for Latin America?
AECOM is headquartered in Los Angeles, URS headquartered in San Fransisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City