Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM

128 posts, read 323,333 times

Advertisements

Im a 31 year old guy who is now single, I currently live in Michigan and would like to relocate to New York City, Miami or Chicago. I'm curious to know which city offers more job opportunities, the chance of owning a house/condo, better nightlife, overall a better area for single people in their 30's. They all seem very good in their own ways, I love New York because it is so big, it seems there is always something to do... Chicago is nice because its closer to Michigan, but yet still offers alot to do since its a large urban area, Miami is nice because of the weather, and the nightlife there is great as well.. so my question is which one is best for a single guy who needs a job in business, wants to move to one of the 3 and find employment within a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Nightlife: Miami probably wins for nightlife and Chicago and NYC are similar and not terribly far behind. Obviously NYC has more nightlife than Chicago which has more nightlife than Miami, but you get the drift.

Job Stuff: As far as job stuff, it depends on what you are going into. I'd probably say 1. NYC 2. Chicago 3. Miami

Weather: Depends on the season. Miami is the best year round. Chicago has the worst winters, but a better summer than NYC

As great as Miami is, IMO nothing can beat NYC or Chicago. If your main thing is to look for a job and what not, I'd focus on those cities and see what the opportunities are out there. Both of the cities have strong, strong, strong business (with NYC being #1 of course) stuff and as nice as Miami's nightlife is, NYC and Chicago are not terribly far behind in the quality by any means. Price might be important too and Chicago is much cheaper on average to own/rent a place (depends on where you are...can be expensive if you get a luxury place downtown) than NYC. Of course, Miami is cheaper than both on average, but the jobs part is not as good as NYC or Chicago.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-21-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
I grew up in Florida, it's a great state, beautiful, great weather, great beaches, lots of sun, good singles scene, and plenty of eye candy. The problem with Florida is jobs... that, it isn't very good for, at all. Also, the cities there aren't really laid out well, pretty poor planning esp if grouped with somewhere like Chicago or NYC. Everywhere in Florida is spread out in comparison and car culture central. If it wasn't for that I would have never left. Since you mentioned a business career, I'd say NYC or Chicago, can't go wrong with either, both very good career wise.

Chicago will be better at actually owning a place, I'd say NYC is better for singles in their 30s though, I'm sure way more of them numerically than Chicago.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
Im a 31 year old guy who is now single, I currently live in Michigan and would like to relocate to New York City, Miami or Chicago. I'm curious to know which city offers more job opportunities, the chance of owning a house/condo, better nightlife, overall a better area for single people in their 30's. They all seem very good in their own ways, I love New York because it is so big, it seems there is always something to do... Chicago is nice because its closer to Michigan, but yet still offers alot to do since its a large urban area, Miami is nice because of the weather, and the nightlife there is great as well.. so my question is which one is best for a single guy who needs a job in business, wants to move to one of the 3 and find employment within a year?
Well, the homeownership thing ain't gonna happen up here unless you've got some serious guap or you're willing to slum it out in Staten Island or some similarly distant place from Manhattan.

I was watching some house hunting show the other day that followed a couple in Chicago. They were coming across all of these condos in River North for like $275K, $320K, $330K and they were like, "No, it doesn't have this....No, it doesn't have that." LOL. And these were all nice places with doormen. Let someone convert an oven to a condo in Lower Manhattan and see how many offers the seller gets.

"Yeah, sure, I paid $490K for my 6.5 sq. feet, but that's really a steal in NoLita. It's a really big oven!"

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
The condo prices in "downtown" Chicago are pretty good considering what it is. My friend just bought a nice 2 bedroom, maybe 1000-1100 sq feet not far from a major L line and tons of stuff, doorman, gym, nice appliances and all around for I think around $250,000. Building is probably under 10 years old.

It's going to go up though, sometime. The market is actually on rentals right now and there's currently around 2000-3000+ units under construction in the areas of River North, Streeterville, and North Loop/Lakeshore East areas with another 6000-8000 proposed and then another 500-1000 planned for the West Loop. Plus some more around Gold Coast. At the start of another building boom it seems.. A number of these places are luxury too, but we'll see about the supply vs. demand. I only think some is perspective development. Businesses who moved their HQ out to the burbs awhile ago are slowly moving back. Google is about to move 2000-3000 of its newly acquired Motorola Mobility division back to the River North area within the next small handful of months.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

287 posts, read 341,211 times
Don't choose anyone of those, especially NOT Miami. Philadelphia offers the same stuff New York and Chicago have but with a MUCH BETTER quality and lower price. Philly also has the safest and most vibrant downtown compared to the cities on the list. So, if you were thinking about relocating to New York, move to Philly instead. It will be the best decision in your life.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Search for jobs in those three. Where you find a job is where you will live. Single, not needing to worry about locating a family or something like that go where the job takes you. A good job in any one of thoses cities and you will porbably be pretty happy.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM

128 posts, read 323,333 times
I agree that there are probably a lot more single people in their 30's living in NYC then any of the 3, and that home ownership will probably not happen in NYC either.. I guess I'd have to take the good with the bad if I go out there, but could I get hired over the phone in NYC? I think NYC is my first option, then probably Chicago, since its close to home, in Michigan... Miami is probably a pipe dream, I realize the weather is nice but its really not a place for jobs people are telling me. I just really like NYC more then Chicago, I realize Chicago has its fine points, I've traveled there many times, but NYC seems like such a better overall city compared to Chicago in terms of things to do, diversity, and whatnot.. I see alot of segregation in Chicago it seems between the black and white communities.. I've traveled to Brooklyn though and there seems to be some segregation there, but Manhatten is pretty much what a big city should be. If I could get hired in NYC I guess I wouldnt mind renting there in my 30's, for 10 years Id say, before I purchase a house, by then Ill be in my 40's and ready to buy a house in another area, seems like a good plan as long as I could get hired.. once again Im single and no kids so if I met a group of friends, and possibly find a good roomate there I think I'd be all set, assuming I could get hired and pay the rent in an area of Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
I agree that there are probably a lot more single people in their 30's living in NYC then any of the 3, and that home ownership will probably not happen in NYC either.. I guess I'd have to take the good with the bad if I go out there, but could I get hired over the phone in NYC? I think NYC is my first option, then probably Chicago, since its close to home, in Michigan... Miami is probably a pipe dream, I realize the weather is nice but its really not a place for jobs people are telling me. I just really like NYC more then Chicago, I realize Chicago has its fine points, I've traveled there many times, but NYC seems like such a better overall city compared to Chicago in terms of things to do, diversity, and whatnot.. I see alot of segregation in Chicago it seems between the black and white communities.. I've traveled to Brooklyn though and there seems to be some segregation there, but Manhatten is pretty much what a big city should be. If I could get hired in NYC I guess I wouldnt mind renting there in my 30's, for 10 years Id say, before I purchase a house, by then Ill be in my 40's and ready to buy a house in another area, seems like a good plan as long as I could get hired.. once again Im single and no kids so if I met a group of friends, and possibly find a good roomate there I think I'd be all set, assuming I could get hired and pay the rent in an area of Brooklyn or Queens.
NYC will also be the city where it is most common for people to marry later statistically as well as rent later. Hired over the phone? Not sure about that. You might have to fly out there for an interview but who knows.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
If I were you (and I'm the same age and circumstances) I would move to Chicago. I'm not because I want to be near my kids, but otherwise it would certainly be a contender (along with Minneapolis, where I'm from and have more connections). Chicago has the same culture, climate, etc. as what you're used to and it's closer to home and has most/all of the amenities of the other cities you listed in terms of being single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City