Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure, but from pictures, Oakland is way more dense and has more buildings than university city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm not sure, but from pictures, Oakland is way more dense and has more buildings than university city.
honestly dont think so, will admit many of pictures hardly portrayed well. As nabes on the whole UCity is absolutely more dense; the residential in this area is like 30+k on top of the largest urban science center, thre huge hospilta complexes and two large universities

Think I saw summer with a better pic of U City; it is very densly developed; what Oakland has is a few taller buildings, U City is mostly 10-12 and under wiht many more in the 8 story range; but pretty dense

Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM

To BB above you said there are more jobs in DT Burgh and Oakland combined than CC Philly. There 300K jobs in DT Philly - what is the number

You want the reference just google; this week the state of Center City was realesed in by the CCD - all there in print - have at it

Now is you can find a source that these two have more than 300K I will believe you; untill then no

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Ugh I can't believe this you just won't concede to facts.....

Here's Oakland again...and You don't even see CMU in this pictures...Pitt and UPMC alone are larger than U City.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
To BB above you said there are more jobs in DT Burgh and Oakland combined than CC Philly. There 300K jobs in DT Philly - what is the number
Source...Copy and Paste....I provided you, now you provide meeeeee!

Quote:
You want the reference just google; this week the state of Center City was realesed in by the CCD - all there in print - have at it
These are you're claims, you back them up! I'm not doing YOUR work.

Quote:
Now is you can find a source that these two have more than 300K I will believe you; untill then no
You need to provide your backup of 300K first.....I can't debate unproven claims, and right now your claim of 300K jobs in Center City is just that a Claim.

Just because you asked so nicely! And if you would have read the links I provided you, you'd have your answer.. NOTE: This was back in 2004..it's 2012 now, I would guess to think there are more than 300K jobs condsidering Pittsburgh's amazing job growth over the past couple of years.

Quote:
In 2004, there were nearly 300,000 jobs in the city of Pittsburgh, more than in many cities that are much bigger in terms of population.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...lation-404624/
Let me guess Philadelphia being one of them!

Again note my original claim was always Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland being the 2nd and 3rd largest Central Business District in PA based on FACT!....I never swayed from that message, you sir are the one all over the map throwing up unsupported claims and alternate methodologies to Prop up Philadelphia.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 05-03-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Trust me it is....I know both cities very well...Kidphilly's living a dream of Philadelphia ruling ALL Cities!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Aerial photos of Pennsylvania's 2nd and 3rd largest business districts... Oakland in foreground and Downtown in the distance... photos by Matt Robinson Pittsburgh Skyline.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,762 times
Black Beauty won!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Source...Copy and Paste....I provided you, now you provide meeeeee!

These are you're claims, you back them up! I'm not doing YOUR work.

You need to provide your backup of 300K first.....I can't debate unproven claims, and right now your claim of 300K jobs in Center City is just that a Claim.

Just because you asked so nicely! And if you would have read the links I provided you, you'd have your answer.. NOTE: This was back in 2004..it's 2012 now, I would guess to think there are more than 300K jobs condsidering Pittsburgh's amazing job growth over the past couple of years.

Let me guess Philadelphia being one of them!

Again note my original claim was always Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland being the 2nd and 3rd largest Central Business District in PA based on FACT!....I never swayed from that message, you sir are the one all over the map throwing up unsupported claims and alternate methodologies to Prop up Philadelphia.

300K is the whole city, right?

Quote:
there were nearly 300,000 jobs in the city of Pittsburgh, more than in many cities that are much bigger in terms of population.
Your Source
Regional Insights: Pittsburgh's a national player in jobs per square mile but needs more population - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

So same metric Philly

Source:
Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania Economic Profile

Center City Business District

Quote:

THE LATEST report on the "State of Center City" shows that there is much to celebrate downtown. It has the nation's third-largest number of employees working in its core central-business district at 264,878. Only New York and Chicago have a higher concentration of workers, according to the report, released Thursday by the Center City District.
This excludes the 90K employees in U City BTW

For the core (Center City Philadelphia) is 189K worker per sq mile

Mostly, Center City's doing great - Philly.com

Best I could find is that there 150K working DT pittsburgh - that was in the CD pittsburgh forum here in this thread (not sure if this includes Oakland or not, but appears it may

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...gh-2012-a.html

BTW you had some great images of Oakland

Here is another view albeit above

Oakland Pittsburgh

Google Maps

U City Philadelphia

University City, Philadelphia PA - Google Maps

Lastly on office space
http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...burgh_3q11.pdf

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...lacbd_3q11.pdf

BTW I like the Burgh but saying there are more workers in the DT and Oaklnad than in CC is just FLAT OUT wrong and you know it BB hell your own sources even suppoort it more smoke and mirrors again

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-03-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City