Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well if Texas is out of the South because of something "unique," I guess Louisiana is out too.
No. Louisiana is a mini-region of the The American South that adds to the greater whole.

Texas also has several mini-regions that add to its greater whole.

There is a such thing as "Texas German" for Christ's sake--how cool is that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
NOW...you sound quite a bit more reasonable!

Of course Texas is a "peripheral" Southern state. So is Arkansas, Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, etc. Some "Deep South purists" would also advance the case that so are North Carolina and Louisiana! LOL

I don't agree with any of that...but it is truly the mindset of some of those in the self-described deepest "Deep South" actually consider themselves "experts" on the matter of what defines "the South" by that facet alone.

Hey, sorry to burst that bubble. But being from Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia does NOT -- in and of itself -- bestow the credentials of being an "authority" on the South! Any more than my being from Texas -- in and of itself -- gives me the right to pontificate on what actually happened at the Alamo! LOL

Anyway, yes, Texas is TEXAS. We all know that. The point is though that even most of the things that make Texas uniquely Texas, are actually of Southern origins and formations! And -- IMHO -- it is unfortunate so few see/realize it. The Texas cowboy is a prototype of the Old South cattle droving tradition. The famed "Texas accent"? It is simply an east Tennessee/North Alabama dialect moved west. The BBQ of Texas is of the Southern tradition of cooking/smoking...even if often times beef and not pork.

Catfish? And fried okra? Oh lord, don't get me started on that good stuff....! LOL

Seriously, I see your point, I really do. BUT...where we part company is that Texas is -- despite the attempts of some to make it "seperate" for reasons of politics and business and such -- the underlying elements of what makes Texas TEXAS, are very much Southern. Not Southwestern, and definetly not Midwestern nor Mountain Western.

Thanks for a good reply, even in disagreement!
Brother Reb--

I have been reasonable all along, all throughout this thread--some on here just did not like what I had to say!

I see it this way--Texas is a spawn of The American South (and Mexico/Southwest/Tejano).

Just like the U.S. is a spawn of England/Great Britain.

...and Latin America is a spawn of Spain.

When I come to Texas--me, you, and Brother Saintmarks will have a beer and continue discussing The Nation of Texas and The American South (though I may opt for red wine--part of my snooty Atlanta roots--you know, the Capital of The American South...).

Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No. Louisiana is a mini-region of the The American South that adds to the greater whole.

Which just means Texas itself is a subregion of the South. See, that wasn't so hard.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which just means Texas itself is a subregion of the South. See, that wasn't so hard.
No. It is too big/too much to be a sub-region. Try again.

Plus, since it is so "Texas," it has its own many, many subregion.s

The Texas subregions that most intrigue me:

-Hill Country
-Piney Woods
-Rio Grande

...and there are so many mo'!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM

ohmygodlovetexasgerman.

Texas German - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

German Texan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:

I wouldn't use the German nationality as the one that supposedly trumps the Midwest....considering the Midwest is THE most German part of the country, specifically, Minnesota and Wisconsin....BY FAR more German than Texas.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I wouldn't use the German nationality as the one that supposedly trumps the Midwest....considering the Midwest is THE most German part of the country, specifically, Minnesota and Wisconsin....BY FAR more German than Texas.
Dont worry. He is only talking about how Texas is distinct, unique(like other states are not), and oh I almost forgot, not apart of the South. I cant remember the last time he mentioned the Midwest. You should actually be happy becuase he is taking away from what cities "qualify" as Southern which would probably make the Midwest win. He probably thinks Atlanta can stand up against Chicago but it is more like Cleveland and Atlanta(probably giving too much credit to Atlanta). He just doesnt want to be a fourth rate citizen in his own region.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:

Louisiana French - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do have to admit that I am impressed at how committed you are to your own foolishness.

Keep up the good fight, and don't let those facts get in your way.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I wasn't postin' it to try an' trump the Midwest--I just just think "Texas German" and "German Texans" are cool as $h!+.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Sister Kenya--

I love your selective reading. I have like so already acknowledged and accounted for this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/24305707-post401.html

Louisiana French and French Louisiana--such integral parts of the beautiful, dynamic American South.

Try again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City